“A Peaceful Ride....”

Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Romney
More attraction details
Owner description: Your journey begins at Wappocomo Station, situated next to a charming homestead and a sprawling view of the mountains. Enjoy the sounds of vintage diesels as they lead you through beautiful pastures and farms dating back to the 1700s. As you wind along the South Branch of the Potomac River, you’ll enter a visually-striking gorge known as the Trough. One of the most scenic spots along the South Branch, the Trough is home to American bald eagles. All excursions are round-trip and include narration. A concession car is available to purchase snacks and drinks. Sorry, no smoking, pets, or alcoholic beverages permitted.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Potomac Eagle was a peaceful ride, my wife, mother and I did enjoy the trip and we did see some eagles however the staff could have done a better job of pointing out where the eagles were located. We payed $160, for 3 people, for the standard coach seating, the price was not worth it considering the condition of the coaches. The seats in coach were uncomfortable as you could feel the springs in the seats. When my wife opened her window, she noticed a large hole by the window that a child could easily put his or her finger in and become injured. The observation car had most of the paint peeling from the ceiling, rust and rot along the floor of the car and patched areas of the floor where you could feel the wheels of the train beneath you. The open air car had a hole in the floor and I can't imagine what would happen if anyone stepped in it while the train was moving. The staff wasn't that friendly and the passenger cars need a complete restoration. Do not waste your time as there are other scenic railroads that are better than the Potomac Eagle. For example, the Strasburg Railroad in Strasburg, PA which is the oldest continuously operating railroad in the United States where they operate 3 beautifully restored steam locomotives and have the best fleet of beautifully restored wooden passenger coaches.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a great trip along the Potomac River, viewing Eagles in their natural environment.
The staff that makes the food for the trip really needs some recognition, both of or dishes were fantastic, both flavor and being served moist.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I went to visit Romney WV for the express purpose of riding on this Train trip. Close to our hotel with helpful Staff onboard and at the Station, Gift Shop,etc. I thought the Rain would discourage sighting of the Eagles but this was NOT the case. We did the Coach Seating & took advantage of the Senior Discount. We could not view the Eagles in the Gondola car but instead had a great view of the Trough (Eagle Habitat area) in the open Observation car. Definitely sit on the RIVER side of the Train as we were instructed to do by the Conductor. Nice people onboard- couples, families, etc. We did the AM 3 Hour Trough Trip. Well worth it!

1  Thank Libtravlr09
Reviewed 10 October 2017

My friends and I had tickets for the train and on that particular day it was slightly raining. It turns out that taking this trip despite the rain was wonderful! We could have stayed inside the railroad cars and been completely dry and happy. But we decided to go out into the open rail car, and I'm very glad we did. Temperature was perfect and we were fine wearing our rain jackets. The scent of the cedar trees and wet leaves and wood burning in nearby fireplaces is indescribable! We had coach tickets and brought our own food/snacks/drinks with us but they also sell other snacks and drinks. This trip was so relaxing and enjoyable and it was so nice to connect with nature. I'll definitely do this trip again. We did it in the middle of October and I am looking forward to doing it in the spring.

3  Thank Donna A
Reviewed 5 October 2017

We took the full day trip. The day was beautiful scenery great. Saw a couple eagle nest and an eagle. The sound of the train was also relaxing. We bought coach tickets but you can book a whole car if you have a big group. If you go with kids I recommend doing the shorter trip.

Been to Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad? Share your experiences!