“Scenic view by Train”

Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Romney
More attraction details
Owner description: Your journey begins at Wappocomo Station, situated next to a charming homestead and a sprawling view of the mountains. Enjoy the sounds of vintage diesels as they lead you through beautiful pastures and farms dating back to the 1700s. As you wind along the South Branch of the Potomac River, you’ll enter a visually-striking gorge known as the Trough. One of the most scenic spots along the South Branch, the Trough is home to American bald eagles. All excursions are round-trip and include narration. A concession car is available to purchase snacks and drinks. Sorry, no smoking, pets, or alcoholic beverages permitted.
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Wonderful train ride with great scenic views. My wife and I rode in club car and order prime rib and chicken meals. For the price, would suggest riding in general seating and get food off the food car which has hotdogs, nachos, and other snack food. Seating in club car is more designated for small parties of 2 or 3 people. We had a group of 5 so, we were split up between two tables. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Would suggest this trip during peak fall season and enjoy the colors. There are two eagles nest on the trip, it is a hit and miss if you get to see them. On this trip we did not get to see any Eagles.

1  Thank homealone0227

Reviewed 10 September 2017

The scenery made up for the terribly disappointing meal, especially for the price. My husband ordered prime rib and I ordered Chicken Cordon Bleu. OMG! Our salad consisted of 4-5 spinach leaves with about 1/2 tsp cheddar cheese on top. The roll was cold, the green beans were straight out of a can, one plain boiled potato, quartered. The chicken was a plain old chicken filet with a slice of ham on it, about 1/16th of an inch thick and it had some kind of congealed sauce on top of it. The colder it got, the stiffer the sauce got. By dinner's end, I could almost pick up the sauce with my fingers! Hubby said his meat was so tough that his knife almost couldn't cut it. For dessert, we had a piece of store-made cake that was so loaded down with sweet icing that you couldn't find the cake! They do have a restaurant in the middle of the train that sells hot dogs, fries, chips, and I think I'd go for that.

2  Thank SharonSin
Reviewed 28 August 2017

My wife and I have ridden many scenic trains and this is one of the best. We rode in the Club Car which included a full meal. The food was great, we had picked prime rib which came with red skin potatoes and green beans. Not only was it the best food we have ever had on a train, including Amtrack Auto Train, but rival many big name restrauants. Everyone on the train crew were very pleasant and helpful, especially our 2 severs who were the best.

1  Thank Dan L
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We went first class so we had the meal when we got on the train in the morning they had a fruit bowl, muffin and coffee. There was a lady telling about the area and what you saw as the train went past. You have the chance to walk around the train and we went out on an observation car. Beautiful scenery! The train goes to Petersburg WV there is a couple stores and a restaurant there it's a 2 hour layover. On the way back we went out on the open car there you stay for about 45 minutes while the train continues on. We saw 2 eagles. Our meal on the way back was chicken breast for me and prime rib for the hubby very good. We highly recommend the trip.

1  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

What a great family adventure full of fun taking in all the natural beauty of West Virginia. Two and a half hour trip was fantastic and we all enjoyed the open air car they allowed us to view from near the middle of our way to Chesapeake bridge. Saw eagles flying while we road adjacent to the river with beautiful mountains as our backdrop. Kids loved it as did my wife and I. Great day trip forn the family.