“Worth a try”

OR
Get food delivered
Ranked #348 of 577 Restaurants in Bellevue
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I would recommend going for lunch on weekend. We tried dinner and had a mixed feeling.Probably it was too late for appetizer. Chicken curry and Kofta were good, but our home made daal and kadhi are better than what we were served. Desert was yummy. They served jalebi straight from the pan and we loved it.

Nice ambience, hygiene, cordial staff - so definitely worth a try

My rating will be 3.5 on a scale of 5.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (2)
Reviewed 19 August 2019

Thali in Hindi language means a plate or platter, usually stainless steel, that has an assorted house-selected dishes to stimulate all types of taste buds. The dishes varies from region to region. A Thal or Thaal is a larger version of Thali to serve in a community style. Many Indian restaurants in the US have a plastic or stainless steel platter as part of their larger menu that has a fixed selection. It is usually my go-to selection when I am craving 'Indian Food'. In quest for niche Indian meals, we now have places that only serve a platter, the meal may vary on daily basis. If you leave the high end fine Indian cuisine restaurants aside, this is essentially a tasting menu.

Greater Seattle area had a Thali place since 1998 called Traveler's Thali and unfortunately it recently closed. Then arrived the Rajdhani Thali in Issaquah. Thaal is the latest entry in this style of Indian feasting.

When you enter Thaal, you see a few tables that have a large round brass table tops which is actually the platter or 'Thaal'. If you select this option, Thalis (or the smaller platters) are served in this large Thaal. In the Thaal option, you get some additional dishes. If you go with the Thali option, you are served with individual Thalis. Price is $25+ for both options. The Thali has a non-vegetarian and a vegetarian option. Ambience is better than usual, staff is in its early journey and their marketing has been able to create a buzz.

The overall quality of food was reasonable with a combination of excellent tasting dishes and some below average, priced a little higher for value. Their goat curry was clearly the best for me. The serving of Lychee Lassi is innovative and delicious. Chicken curry was good but hard to get to as the bowls have a narrow neck. The Matki Biryani (vegetarian) served separately was fresh and delicious. All other bowls (Dum Aloo, Malai Matar, Kadhi, Daal, Mixed Veg, Raita, Gulab Jamun), rice and breads were average (except dum aloo that was not fully cooked and kadhi that had firm pakodas). Paneer tukda in vegetarian option was a bit dry.

To truly rate the experience, I always ask myself whether I will visit the restaurant again. The answer right now is May Be. Rajdhani in Issaquah is still a better option to me as they are more reasonably priced, they serve in courses, and allow you to limit the serving. It is also easy to eat from their thali and they have better overall quality of food. I do have high hopes from Thaal and would love to see them adapt and excel. The Very Good rating is for my confidence since the place is new, would have been average if it was an established place.

Date of visit: August 2019