All reviewsperchrooftop barbreakfast basketboutique hotelcarrot cakefront porchchain hotelsmain streetyogurtsmall townshrimp and gritsthe fried green tomatoesthe hotel's restaurantgraze restaurantmodern amenitiesbreakfast in bedbeautiful hotel
Reviewed 6 August 2015

I myself didn't stay at this hotel, but my review is to show the character of the staff. A friend of mine was on her way there for a business trip and was just having ONE OF THOSE DAYS. I called the hotel and spoke with the front desk and sent in a request to have something waiting in her room when she arrived. She transferred me to the bar and the young lady fulfilled my request and even wrote a note to go along with the beverages and made it personal. Also, later in the evening my friend went down to the restaurant to grab some dinner and the server promptly brought out a complimentary shrimp cocktail and told her that they heard she was having a bad day and they hoped that this helped. It is not often that you find a large business that will go out of their way like that for a guest and I can tell you it made a HUGE difference.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank SarahGillKimble
Samantha M, General Manager at The Bolling Wilson Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2015

Thank you for your wonderful review we are always happy to help make our guest day better. We all have had that day that we just need a little extra sweet gesture to make the evening so much better. Thank you for letting us be a part of that. Our team goes above and beyond to make everyone feel like family. We hope that one day you will get to stay with us and experience the service for yourself.

Have a blessed day,

Reviewed 5 August 2015

Booked this hotel based on reviews. Was not disappointed. Very clean updated rooms. very comfortable beds. The restaurant had the best food! Staff was all very pleasant, however they seemed very overwhelmed, not sure why unless it was a lot busier before we got there, but the service was great none the less. Would recommend if traveling through town. No pool which disappointed the kids. I guess the only thing we didn't like was the muffins offered in the breakfast basket were not very good, no one in our family ate it which says a lot since my kids could live on muffins in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank drmickeym

Thank you for your review. I am so happy that you were pleased with our property. I appreciate your feedback and time it took to let us know what you think. I'm happy that you were taken care of, enjoyed your stay and had a restful experience. If you are ever in the area again, make sure to stay here. Why go anywhere else?

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 4 August 2015

We stayed for one night on a trip to SW Virginia. What a find. Service is outstanding from front desk to wait staff. We had a suite, which was a large corner room with a couch. Room was well furnished - great carpet. Goodies galore. Very large flatscreen LG with a lots of channels. We had the package that provided a $50 for the restaurant, which was a good choice. Bed and couch were very comfortable and in great shape. Toiletries top level. Breakfast (continental with muffins, bananas, yogurt is delivered in a basket at your door. The dining room is small. Make reservations if you want the dining room, otherwise you can eat at the tables in the bar. The restaurant can cook and delivers good southern favorites and somewhat inventive choices. Good wine list with both standard and eclectic choices and good prices for the wines. There is a rooftop deck that was wonderful to sit, engage with others and watch the moon. Lots of free parking. Bartender knows how to make very good drinks, some with local spirits. A small, well-stocked gift shop. If in the area, visit the local wineries and distilleries. We very much enjoyed Abingdon Vineyards and Winery, watching the brook and the river with good wine.

Room Tip: Get either the suite or Jacuzzi room. Check for specials.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ralff

Thank you for your glowing review! I'll share your sentiments with our amazing Team, they love hearing great things about them and our property. We strive very hard to give you the best experience and it appears we accomplished our goals! Be sure to be loyal to our hotel and come back when you are in the area again. We want you here!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 4 August 2015

We had the pleasure recently of staying at the newly renovated old George Wythe Hotel. I was born in Wytheville and I have so many wonderful memories of the George Wythe Hotel from the 50's and 60's. The now NEW Bolling Wilson Hotel is absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed our stay so much. The room was excellent and beautifully decorated and sparkling clean. The staff was exceptional and so friendly and helpful. This will be our new "home away from home" and we will make new memories on our future trips to Wytheville.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Samantha M, General Manager at The Bolling Wilson Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2015

Wonderful!!! We love that you are going to make our hotel your "home away from home". That means so much to us. I'll be sure to tell my Team about your review, they love hearing about how their customer service impacted your stay positively. Be sure to come back again, we want you staying with the best!!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2015

My husband arrived at about 6 pm and there was no parking. We had to park 2 blocks away. There was an issue with our reservation and the lady at the desk was rude and not really interested in helping us as she wanted to watch a wedding that was going on. Then she told us we could get a room but would have to carry our own luggage up stairs as the elevator was broken. I have spinal bone cancer and even walking the 2 blocks for parking was bad enough but now to have to carry luggage up stairs was unacceptable. We went to the Comfort Suites down the road and were treated wonderfully. Upon getting home I called choice hotels and was given the general manager's name and email address. I sent her an email and she never even had the courtesy to respond. This hotel is not interested in the comfort of their guests!!! Go to the Comfort Suites down the road. Avoid this place at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Julia S

Unfortunately, sometimes we do our best and still don’t succeed. First, as I did that evening, let me apologize.

During your stay in May our historic elevator was not working properly, as was noted by several other TripAdvisor reviewers. Thankfully has been repaired for a couple months now. We did have staff available 24/7 during that time and they did offer carry your luggage to your room for you. But once you stated your medical condition to us and with the first floor rooms already taken, I knew there wasn’t any way we would be able to accommodate you to any one of our 4 levels of rooms.

And, we did have a wedding occurring on the Veranda and Courtyard that evening. We had plenty of parking in the hotel parking lot just a few steps behind the hotel, but the spaces in front of the hotel were blocked for the bride’s arrival.

Luckily, the best guest service agent in the world was working with me that evening and happily secured arrangements with the Comfort Inn & Suites for you and your husband while you waited. While we didn’t want to inconvenience you by relocating you, we did want you to have a most comfortable stay and took it upon ourselves to find them for you. While not what you wanted, I’m so grateful they took such great care of you.

I regret that your first experience with us was not a good one primarily because the elevator was not operating. I apologize that you were not able to enjoy the same wonderful experiences that so many other TripAdvisor reviewers have written about. I wish that I had received your email so that I could have apologized again.

I am thankful that we were able to arrange accommodations for you that enabled you to enjoy your stay in Wytheville and hope that if you visit again, you will give us another opportunity.

Best Travels,