“Enjoyable, but can be challenging”
Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went to the Rotary convention here in May. The two bedroom room we had was nice, but if you have mobility issues, it could be a challenge (we did not). The room was up three flights of stairs (no elevator) and then the bedroom was up another flight of stairs. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom nice. There was a small kitchen with a refrigerator. The living room furniture was dated and I sank into the couch. Some may like that but I found it uncomfortable. The lighting around the couch made reading difficult. The view is great, though. I don't ski, but would like to be hear during ski season as the room we had overlooked the slopes. The rock climbing and activity center was great. The mechanical bull was fun, something I had never done before. Would have liked to do the zip lining, but it was not open yet. The resort is quite large and walking to the various locations can be unreasonable. There are condos that can be rented as well.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Steven W

Thank you for your review of your trip to Wintergreen with the Rotary Group that was here in the Spring. The views are spectacular here and unfortunately you had so many stairs to your room in that particular building. We do hope you will come back during the winter and experience the winter views as they are incredible, especially after a fresh snow fall. We look forward to having you visit again and if there is anything we can do to help facilitate your booking, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations specialist and ask about special deals going on.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Before we realized we could have used Airbnb or VRBO we made reservation based on suggestion on the Wedding Website. Big Mistake. First the resort is a mega mega resort with so many 'lodging' options that you need a handbook to decode what are the offerings. We choose a King Bed room which had a mini kitchen which is usually a great option. The entry way to the building smelled like damp ice hockey equipment room. The hallway and the room carpeting is old, dark and dated with lots of stains that are clearly visible. When we were unpacking we found we were sharing the room with silverfish. When reported to the Front Desk their response was "Sorry". The double curtains on the window were not wide enough to cover the width of the window making it look like a frat room. This was specifically annoying as it was a ground floor room which looked out on a busy walkway. The air conditioner is the old style unit with filters that need replacing and the unit is just not efficient and most likely spreads airborne mold. You could feel some of the springs in the bed and the bedding was quite basic. There was a 2 night minimum stay and we had no housekeeping. We did ask for extra towels.
The Inn is not ADA compliant or even friendly. The food in the Copper Kettle was pedestrian but there are no other options.
I also find an $8 Resort fee annoying and unless you state at check in that you do not want to donate $1 to the Nature Fund it is charged to your folio. I had very modest expectations for this 'resort' but I was still extremely disappointed. The resort is showing its age and use. Perhaps when everything is covered in white snow it looks more appealing???
Buyer Beware for the Mountain Inn

Room Tip: Use VBRO to rent an actual unit from an owner
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank sharonbeck1

Dear sharonbeck1

Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at Wintergreen Resort. I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations in so many areas during your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay as several items in your review convey inaccurate information and I want to make sure I understand your review as their are four restaurants and a deli on site, certain weekends do have minimum stays. please contact me at your earliest convenience so we may review our practices and ensure we are doing all we can to make pleasant and memorable experiences for all of our guest. You may contact me at 434-325-8212, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging

Reviewed 11 September 2017

My wife and I stayed one night here before hiking the three ridge trail (part of the AT). The trail head is a five minute drive from the resort, so the location was ideal for our trip.

The resort is located at one of the peaks of a ski resort. The mountain views are incredible. The overall feel of resort is great, however (as other reviews mention), the units are hit or miss. We booked through the resort, as opposed to Airbnb or Howeaway. Our unit had a great view, however it was a little beat up, and the fridge smelled a bit off. Still, the resort really is set away from everything and extremely relaxing. Several restaurants are within walking distance from the main lodge. Definitely recommend a stay, may be a better option to stay in a lodge room as opposed to an outlying condo. The ate the Copper Mill restaurant. Very good.

Room Tip: Try a lodge room, might be more consistent.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Dear Mark N

Thank you for your recent stay here at Wintergreen Resort and I am delighted your experience was favorable and you got to enjoy some hiking while you were here. It truly is a very scenic area and the temperatures were favorable this past weekend for doing so. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you about the specific unit that you stayed in so we can address the issues with condo with the owner of that unit. I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience at the Coppermine Restaurant. We hope you will return soon to the resort as the Fall is a spectacular time to hike at Wintergreen when we are in full peak of the leaves changing. If I can be of any assistance in future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

I attended a summer wedding at Wintergreen resort. It is a beautiful location. Rental units are privately owned. Overall, I think the property is run down and needs some help. Warped floors, skimpy toiletries, and rooms were noisy. We stayed in the Lodge and we could hear ourselves walking around.
The staff was not very helpful when we requested an early check in.
I wanted to love the property but ......did not
Lots of good hiking trails. The nature center is nice and Jake is helpful. A very large outdoor pool and indoor pool. 3 outdoor hot tubs.
Make sure you venture up to the top of the mountain for the look out.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view - if that is what you want
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Spkieton

Thank you for your review and we appreciate our customer feedback as this allows us to see how we do not meet our customers expectations. If you would be so kind as to contact me about the unit that you stayed in so we can address the issues of the unit with the owner of that particular unit. I apologize that we were not able to accommodate an early check in for you on that particular day, but please know if we could have, we most certainly would have allowed you the opportunity to check into your unit. We do hope you will return in the near future and if there is anything I can do to assist in your planning, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Overall it's a very nice place. It's a gamble on which unit you'll get and we got dumb lucky with 1945. It's the last unit on the ridge and the view is incredible...and we've spent time in the Smokey's. The facilities are nice but the upkeep is iffy. There were no working lights outside and the signage is confusing. The check-in parking area is woefully inadequate and poorly marked. The staff, however, was a cut above, at least in our stay. If you're bored when you stay here there's only one person responsible because the variety of activities is more than adequate.

Room Tip: The 1900 building is where we stayed on the n.e. corner
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ossenfogva

Dear Ossenfogva

Thank you for your recent stay here at Wintergreen Resort. We truly appreciate your comments about the resort and how much you enjoyed the incredible views from your unit. I also want to thank you for letting us know about the inadequate lighting outside of the accommodations, it has been reported and will get corrected immediately. We hope you will consider Wintergreen in the future should you be in the area. If there is anything we can do to assist with your bookings, please do not hesitate to ask our reservations specialist at the time of booking. Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wintergreen
20.7 km away
19.0 km away
Iris Inn
Iris Inn
#1 of 3 in Waynesboro

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!