Open today: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Bring back to old buildings.

The old buildings were great . The newly remodeled buildings have no character. The prices used to... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
EdE853
Yorktown, Virginia
Some times change is not for the better!

Reviewed 22 November 2020
L5121NKlindam

Recommended experiences in and around Williamsburg
from US$21.54
from US$20.52
from US$28.90
from US$28.99
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 January 2021

It’s what happens when you think a unique business model is an eyesore, you stop building maintenance, you have no idea of its real appeal, a mix of yard sale, old world bazaar shopping that doesn’t feel phony?

Dirt floors, fans over AC, excess pottery lying about around the building, etc, getting a deal, that was the appeal.

Disney Epcot tries to accomplish this with its different country stores, they do succeed in this I think, it’s enjoyable Fantasy escape, but, you know in the light of day what it is.

You build strip mall box construction, faux façade, call it French, and this is the Pottery failures, exactly what you get in a theme park visiting their stores, more of a forced, souvenir purchase.

Same reason a Coupe Deville isn’t in the bottom of cracker jack box, one doesn’t expect bargains driving up to this spread of stores, it’s cries tourist trap. Warehouse environment implies bargains.

The prices aren’t what you expect, even with inflation added, it’s not there because of the merchandise. I used to get the feeling of pottery staff buyers searching for factory dumps, over production, like the The Dump, the furniture place. Now it feels like they are buying straight from the same channels, buyers, as regular stores?

You don’t expect low prices here, the money thrown at the building gives it away, it’s why Ollies, Tuesdays move into lower rent strip empty shops, to keep overhead low.

Then go with boutique packaging, feeling you are in any Big Box mall store, except with limited choices. It reminds me of the failed JCP mini mall within a store. You want a designer crockpot, you a choice of one. JCP reminded me of trying to be all the stores in the mall, but only their display window in merchandise.

Limited choice, worst constant empty shelves.

And why they were trying to sell food items is beyond me.

You get no feelings of a potter, pottery being around, local worker doing things, seconds, or bulk buys. Tuesday Morning, Ollies offers this.

This is the problem I imagining of hiring management who was absolutely out of touch, too much hubris your own abilities, county regulations on a desire for pristine buildings, hope they aren’t missing all that tax money, and MBA suits, vs a self made man, potter, knowing a market niche,and growing it slowly on what works.

Date of experience: December 2020
1  Thank W3499WWmarkr
Reviewed 22 November 2020

I miss the old pottery so much! I live 40 miles west of the pottery in Richmond so I stop at least once a month on the way to Yankee Candle. You used to be able to spend the day and get so many good bargains. It was not a fancy place but that was part of it's charm, you also had to search for a place to park because it was so crowded. Now there might be 5 - 10 cars in the whole parking lot, it is so sad. They do have a good selection of garden and house flags with good prices and seasonal flowers. They also have holiday decorations and garden items, all this is in the one building that is worth the stop if you are looking for these things. The other buildings are expensive and nothing like the old pottery.

Date of experience: November 2020
2  Thank L5121NKlindam
Reviewed 9 November 2020 via mobile

I read the reviews and thought, how bad can it be? I pass by it 2 times a year and finally had time to stop in. These reviews are 100% accurate. Nothing but BARE shelves and what is on the shelves is made in China. I’m not even kidding. I couldn’t find anything without a “Made in China” sticker on the bottom.

Date of experience: November 2020
1  Thank Pburke602
Reviewed 21 September 2020

Used to be so much better in the old days. As kids, we loved going to the old pottery, so many store outside and you could spend hours going in and out of the shops , some inside and some outside. Today, all the shops are inside like a large Garden Ridge format. Its okay, lots of stuff to buy and take home. We liked their pottery section the most.

Date of experience: September 2020
1  Thank DannyWasserman
Reviewed 27 August 2020

Though some of the reviews are extremely nasty, we seemed to find a bargain or two. The stores were not fully stocked and the A building was pretty sparse, probably due to Covid, changing shopping patterns and some shoppers yearning for the old Pottery. We 1st visited the old Pottery in the late 70's and though things have changed, we also drop in the new Pottery every time we are in Williamsburg. This time we found a beautiful Leacanthan cold hardy japonica Camellia for $12.99 in the garden center, and an incredible locally made chocolate pecan fudge cup on the checkout counter for $1.99. We also found a pot for our Orchid, saucers and a game for our grandchildren that was 3 times the cost at Yankee Candle. Over the years we have purchased a bottle of wine of two and found some decent wine for $5 a bottle. Sure it is disheartening seeing some empty sections and I don't know the financial situation of the business, but hopefully they can survive and we will always drop by when we are in town.

Date of experience: August 2020