Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Debra D
Barnstaple, United Kingdom

A very pleasant week away

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 May 2024
Well after paying just over £400 each for a week AI we didn't expect much, but was very pleasantly surprised.

Yes the hotel does need a good refurb, Very tired and dated, but everything else made you look past that and enjoy the holiday. It is remote, but you can catch the local bus at the end of the road for just 1.40 each or taxi for between 8-10 euro into Corralejo.

Food was great, we didn't have any problem finding something to eat at every meal. Just one day when there was too much fish on offer for starters and main, but still found something. The staff were all lovely. From arrival at reception where we asked to change from a 3rd floor room to the top floor one - it was no trouble at all. Staff in the restaurant were a delight and couldn't do enough, and as for our room attendant Maria, she was a dream. What an absolutely lovely lady. Despite the language we managed to converse and even have a giggle. Beds really comfortable too.

During our first couple of days we had difficulty getting our head around not being in a 4* hotel and not having a promenade nearby to walk for miles along, but I can honestly say we had a superb holiday and would even come back again.
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    HK$1,662
4.3 km from Hotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
View more hotels in Corralejo
6,221 results
All reviews the main hotel mandarin restaurant annex pool card room sand dunes fantastic beach beach holiday on tap visited this hotel plenty of choice bit dated bottled water salad self service german guests great holiday evening entertainment
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 May 2024

We arrived at this hotel with not very high expectations and just the thought of a low cost, last minute getaway for some sun.
I was dubious because I saw a number of negative comments especially on the sickness side of things but not one of us became sick in the length of time we stayed. The food options are 3 star expectations but definitely has something for everyone. We tried to aim early each meal time to avoid the busy periods because in my honest opinion some of the other guests were the problem when it came to hygiene NOT the hotel!!! We witnessed others smelling things then putting them back down and using for example a food pronge to pick up slices of ham and then also the same pronge to pick up the cucumber slices (again not the hotel just other inconsiderate guests)
And as for all the sickness comments, we literally would laugh each day at the level of people burnt to a crisp and glowing red!!! My opinion is these people complaing about sickness need to maybe cover up, sunscreen up and drink more water, sun Stoke is my guess.
The hotel is very dated and tired but you can't say it isn't clean, from early morning until late at night cleaners are everywhere!! I found the beds absolutely horrendous to sleep on, but a quick trip to reception and an hour later our room maid had put a mattress topper on my bed and it was amazing and improved my sleep and comfort by 100percent.
The location is unreal and we had a brilliant time and will definitely be going back.
Visit caralejo it is lovely and has some lovely restaurants and a little harbour and is literally 5mins from the hotel in a taxi.
The entertainment in the evenings are fun
Don't go to this hotel expecting 5 star experience as it isn't that.
Although the location is defo 5star.
Judge for yourself, I feel I am a very fussy person but I honestly feel for the price we paid, it would be shame on me to complain about this hotel in anyway whatsoever

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amber M
Reviewed 15 May 2024

Had a great stay, very relaxed lovely staff and service. A little dated but very clean and welcoming.

Review collected in partnership with riu.com
1  Thank SimonFurteventura
Online Reputation Director, Owner at Hotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2024

Dear SimonFurteventura,

We are delighted that your stay with us has been a success.

We are glad you enjoyed the service we provide to our guests.

We hope that soon, you will be able to live an even better experience with us.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 15 May 2024 via mobile

We stayed for 16 nights from the end of April 2024. The hotel is very dated and old fashioned. It is a lovely location and the beach is pretty but very windy. We both were very ill with food poisoning for 3 days at the beginning which put us off eating in the hotel. The staff were very hit and miss with the exception of the cleaners who were always happy and friendly. The Reception Staff were just awful and very hostile and miserable. Not sure if it’s an anti UK thing but when we checked out a male staff member snatched the keys and did not even smile, ask us if we enjoyed the holiday or say goodbye. Easily the worst place I have stayed at in Fuerteventura and we will never return.

Room tip: Food poisoning and terrible reception staff
1  Thank Sierradelta100
Online Reputation Director, Owner at Hotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2024

Dear Sierradelta100,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We always kindly recommend to leave the full name on feedbacks, so we can do the proper follow up of what you are stating and assist you when applicable.

It is very important to us that all our guests feel welcome at our resort and treated in the same way regardless of their country of origin, age, sexual orientation, and religion.
Needless to say, we are very sorry to read of your discomfort.

Nonetheless, we are disheartened to read that your stay was overshadow by the negative aspects and that you were unable to feel entirely relaxed during your time with us.

We will do what we can within our power to work on these issues, your impressions will be shared with our team and we hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future to impress you.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2024

Had 6 day last minute at this hotel. Absolutely loved it!! Stayed in the annex and had a large room with fridge and balcony overlooking the whitewashed houses, gardens and palm trees. Short walk to the hotel where entertainment and food was. Good selection of meals. Not huge but certainly enough to choose from for every meal. The Canarian night in the speciality restaurant was great. Loved the food. The entertainment team were brilliant. Even did aqua fit 4 times! The staff were very helpful and friendly and the lady who booked me when i arrived ( which was early due to flight time) went above and beyond and deserved special credit. Yes its a bit dated and needs a refresh but honestly, who cares. I was in the room to sleep and shower. The rest of the time was by the pool sipping cocktails!! Couldn’t want for a nicer location. On a beautiful clean beach which went on for miles. Cant wait to go back. Thank you to all the wonderful staff who made my holiday so special.

Review collected in partnership with riu.com
1  Thank Beatlefan09

Dear Beatlefan09,

We definitely have the best guests. Thank you very much for your kind feedback, also on behalf of our lovely staff.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your holiday.

We hope to see you again!

Love you back,

Reviewed 5 May 2024 via mobile

We have holidayed at this hotel, on an off, for almost 25 years, but never again.
We were struck down by food poisoning on two separate occasions during our 3 week stay. I notified the hotel reception by emain on both occasions, but these messages were completely ignored. After our second bout of illness I went to the reception to complain, but was dismissed and told that there was a virus going around all of the Canary Islands. I then met with one of the Tui reps, who was not surprised in the slightest at my concerns. She advised me that they (Tui) are constantly complaining to the management and director about food standards, but to no avail. I witnessed one cook coughing over 2 dishes of broccoli as she transferred from one dish to another. I watched as another cook was constantly sending text messages from his mobile phone, then spreading toppings on pizzas without washing his hands. On a
number of occasions, I had to return food, which was still uncooked in the centre, this at times was due to far too much food being placed into the deep fat fryer. Since Riu would not acknowledge my complaint, I notified a website one of the other guests had mentioned to me, iwaspoisoned.com, I wish I had known about this site before I booked. The Riu Oliva Beach Resort featured many times on this site regarding sickness. I also completed an online questionnaire sent to me from Riu head office, but that too was ignored. Overall, the hotel is run down and tired, and this is reflected in the attitude of some of the staff who are clearly frustrated. The drinks are the cheapest available. However on a positive note, the hotel is clean, the waiting and bar staff are great, Tivo and Carlos in the Bar Betancuria, Estefan in Bar Dunas, but in particular, Veronica, whatever bar she happens to be working in. She is motivated, professional, friendly, helpful and a credit to this hotel. Unfortunately, we will never return.

Date of stay: February 2024
3  Thank david s
Online Reputation Director, Owner at Hotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2024

Dear david s,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

We are truly sorry we did not live up to the standards you expected and for the disappointing experience you had. We strive to make every effort to exceed all of our guests’ expectations and ensure your stay is pleasant.

It is very saddening to read your comment regarding the stomach issue and we hope you are feeling better by now. Also, we regret that you did not feel well attended by our team.

All your comments have been shared with the corresponding department for further follow up as we are looking forward to having the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

We remain sincerely,