All reviews six times through secret escapes risotto half board german fridge taxi terrace pools island
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Apologies for my grammar and spelling I am not one for writing reviews or at all for that matter, but feel what happened to my partner and I here must be said. First I will review everything else so skip to the end if you want. The two stars I am giving to the grounds of the hotel which are very nice and the amazing job that the waiting staff at the restaurant do especially Dominic, who always went out of his way to provide what we wanted and the food for dinner was always very nice. Breakfast is basic but everything you need.

We enjoyed most of our stay being honest. We were here for two weeks from 9th July until the 22nd of July. The pools are great with amazing views and the free bus service to town in very helpful. Our room was tiny and the beds and pillows were so hard we could not sleep for the first two nights. We asked for softer beds and they swapped them with not much difference but we settled for them and were glad they tried. The room was fairly clean looking though we saw them being cleaned daily with very dirty looking water. The 14" TV didn't work but we were happy with the deal we got so didn't complain. We found the staff at the front desk very short the whole stay with no desire to give you much time but were pleasant enough. Antonio the manger, was very nice with a little bit more time for us than the other staff we found.

And this is the terrible experience part -
Our third to last day is when my partner opened the bathroom door fast and the latch caught as the door was never smooth to open. We had heard the door making funny sounds the hole trip when going to sleep but we just put it down to the wood shrinking and expanding over night, boy were we wrong. When the latch caught, the whole door frame exploded open and thousands and thousands of termites poured everywhere. Through my partners suitcase next to the door and all over the floor. Inside the frame was almost completely hollow. My partner went to reception very distressed to explain what had happened while I packed our things. She was promptly blamed for pulling the door to hard which she couldn't believe! then was told to wait while someone came to repair it. The front desk didn't even come and look themselves and also laughed at my partner saying, there are no termites in Italy and that we must wait for our room to be fixed. Well my partner lost it a bit demanding another room (understandably I think) which they told us they didn't have. My partner said we were not going back in there and will find another hotel and after this a room magically appeared. We finally got another room key and lugged all our belongings to it with no offer to help and still no one but the cleaner coming to look. We were very distressed being blamed for this and them not believing us. I have many years experience building and can say that the door was not pulled anywhere near hard enough to break when it caught. I can also guarantee these were termites with many photos proving this. Shame on this hotel for how they treated us and dealt with this whole situation. Still no apology which is the least we wanted and found the staff after this very unfriendly towards us. Our new room was bigger but we had two massive cockroaches greet us that evening and saw them crawl under our bed and had an ants nest in the corner of the room which I don't mind but my partner had a not so great time trying to sleep.

There is probably more to be said about the service side and things that we found unsatisfactory but think you get the point and as we said we got a good deal for the two weeks so weren't too fussy until all this went down. I would stay else where in Forio or somewhere in saint Angelo which is beautiful.

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and though this experience was fairly unique the way we were treated was disgusting and therefore the bad review.
Thanks, I hope this warns others who would rather avoid a situation like this happening.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank jardsview
Reviewed 6 July 2017

Great place, great food and great people. The room was good: I stayed in a medium big room for 2 people with refridgerator and air-conditioning. Everything was clean and usable. The serice was great. I went with a vegan friend of mine and they made her special meals without meath, eggs etc. as she wished which we appreciated lots. You can get a ride to the city and back to the hotel a few times a day which also is very helpfull. The majority of the staff knew german as well, which was cool. So if your english isn't that good, german would probably work just fine. I don't really have any complains about this place. All good. And a lovely view.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

Found hotel through Secret Escapes and was very impressed with organisation of taxi and hydrofoil transfers. Hotel staff were welcoming although their English was not brilliant but we managed to get all the information we needed.
Room was fine, no frills but clean and had a fridge which we found useful.Air conditioning was effective and very quiet. Bathroom was clean, shower powerful and hair dryer and sachets of shampoo supplied.
The hotel is located on a bus route to Forio and a short walk to small supermarket if you turn right out of hotel. A few times a day there is a hotel shuttle bus to and from Lacca Amino.There are bus routes around the island which make it easy to get around although we did spend a lot of time waiting!! Sometimes we had to resort to taxis!!
We had half board . Breakfast was continental style which was tasty and lots of choice of meats, cheese and fruit. Dinner was delicious , lots of sea food, risotto , pasta and local dishes.
All pools has amazing views as hotel is set on terraces up the hillside. This does mean lots of steps!!!
There are four pools , one being a thermal pool.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2017

booked this hotel ,through secret escapes, was promised welcome drink and mini bar we didnt get either , room was very basic but was clean , only 2 of the staff spoke english so we had some real problems comunicating any problems , the food was really good and the restaruant staff excellent , nothing to do in the eveneings after dinner could have taken taxi into town but at 10 euros one way decided not to , lovely views from pool if you have the energy to walk up the endless steps all in all i would not give this hotel 4 stars

Room Tip: do not book a classic room very basic and small
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gilliano1
Reviewed 14 May 2017

Would have really loved to give it a five star score but couldn't quite do it. It's a really charming hotel, mainly geared up for German and Italian tourists. Not much English spoken but it is Italy so learn a bit of Italian! The rooms are spacious and we paid 20 Euros a night extra for a room with a huge balcony and we mean huge! Room is clean, but a bit dated but that for us made it charming. Shower door slipped off sometimes and fridge didn't work. They did offer to change it but we didn't really want a fridge anyway. Very small TV with Italian and German channels and wi fi is very patchy, but Spotify worked ok so we always had music.

Views from every room are fantastic. It was 160 steps from our room to the restaurant but we love the exercise. The thermal pool is really nice and plenty of lounging chairs but you need your own towels.

We went half board. Breakfast didn't have lots of choice but was adequate and you dont go hungry. Lovely bread, cheese and coffee. Only one choice of cheese for example, so if you like loads to pick from, you really want another hotel. Dinner was superb. Late start at 7.30pm and you need to be there at 7.30pm as not a buffet. We enjoyed every meal and special thanks to Maitre'D, Dominque. He is the star of the whole hotel. House wine is 3.5 euros a glass and 13 for a bottle and we tired red,white and rose and all good. We enjoyed every meal and we had seven night stay. Pasta, soup, risotto, fish, dessert..all were great. Had one 'Gala' night with guitar player and singer which was tacky and superb fun.

There is a shuttle six times a day to Lacco Ameno, about 5 minutes. Dont try and walk it though as hilly. Last shuttle is just after 7 so you can get a morning one to LA and then get buses to anywhere on the island for the day. Have a prosecco at Bar Franco close by to La Funga rock, 2 minute walk to shuttle pick up point to finish your day out. Very friendly and get olives, crisps and small focaccia bread for free nibbles!

It's about 25-30 walk downhill to Forio and we are pretty fit. We did it a couple of times uphill back and isnt easy but doable. Supermarket is 14 minute walk downhill to Forio so for water etc, best thing is get free shuttle to and from LA.

Ultimate test, would we stay again? Absolutely would.....

Room Tip: Pay the extra 20 euros a night for 'Big' room.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple