“Authentic south Indian Vegetarian food!”
Review of Udipi Cafe

Ranked #286 of 435 Restaurants in Sugar Land
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Authentic South Indian Vegetarian food..it's like a trip to India would a plane ride! Portions are large, fresh and delicious! And prices are reasonable. They have a nice lunch buffet which is a nice opportunity to try a lot of things. Not too spicy and the coffee is not to be missed!

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 14 February 2017

I went here for the first time after and add on the redio.. I was disappointed. Its a family run restaurant.. Food is ordinary, nothing exceptional and expensive value wise. I will not recommend to anyone looking for veg options.
... Lesson learned

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 31 August 2016

Cravings for Indian food by Indian community which is a majority here in Sugarland, Houston is one primary reason for the thriving of hospitality segment in Houston. Having moved to Houston from Chennai - a place where Lip-Smacking food can be found even at the roadside stalls, we were having high expectations for this restaurant named after the south indian city which is known for the Famed Krishna Temple.

On a Friday evening the family was in a mood for some genuine Indian food and this restaurant was on the top search listing and the reviews were not that bad, helping us not to think twice about the place. We (myself, my wifey and our 6 year old) ordered for a 'Spring Masala Dosa' and a normal 'Masala Dosa'. Although the first blow was already delivered when we saw a huge plate of around 5 pieces of wrapped dosas (looked like Burritos!) and another huge masala dosa coming our way. The guy who took the ordered never even gave a hint that the 'Spring Dosa' that we have ordered will be quite huge for 2 people. We could not connect any of the taste in these 2 dishes to any authentic south indian cuisines, and felt it was just a mockery of Indian cuisine! I am sure there will be v less south indian customers for these guys, given the authenticity of dishes these guys boast of...

I cant end my review here without mentioning a second rendezvous with this restaurant, which was a rather necessity visit, as it was an awkward time for lunch on our way back from a medical appointment. Having ordered Fried Rice, we were disappointed to have a amateurish dish which looked like a mixture of Whiterice, Tamarind and a lot of cumin seeds. We removed Udupi Cafe from our list of preferable restaurant right from that moment!

Date of visit: August 2016
3  Thank Ranjith R
Reviewed 28 June 2016

i was very disappointed in the amount of variety in the food they had on the buffet. All the labels were in their native language which made it difficult to distinguish what you were going to eat. I ended up with two things to eat which was their rice, (excellent) and the potato, cauliflower casserole. I know I won't eat there again because there are plenty of excellent restaurants that serve this kind of food every place. I ate there because I like eating at different places whenever I can.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

Good service and good ambience. Food is also fresh made and authentic to it's style.
Lunch buffet is not that great could be better. Like its À la carte menu better.

Date of visit: June 2016