“Good but some issues as of late.”
Review of Avalon Diner III

Avalon Diner III
Ranked #5 of 97 Restaurants in Stafford
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 4 March 2017

We've done weekend breakfasts for the last few years. Great staff for the most part but lately they have been short staffed and the ones who are left work hard for their money and have a great attitude. They used to have cottage fries for breakfast which were far better than the pasty hash browns they have. Our biggest issue, other than an owner who appears to be hands off, is that we've been there twice to see open carry gun owners come in. We left the first time, endured the second, and will not be back until they post the sign denying access to open carry. I do not feel any safer knowing the guy a few booths down is packing. Too sad for Avalon.

Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

My husband and I took his parents out for Sunday breakfast. They had never been before. There was a wide variety of items to choose from for breakfast, and we each chose something different. My motherinlaw had huevos ranchero, my fatherinlaw had a sausage omelette, my husband had eggs with jalapeños, chorizo and other ingredients, while I had scrambled eggs with chorizo in a wholewheat tortilla and grits. Everyone enjoyed their meal, and the server was very kind and courteous. This restaurant originated in 1938, and is still serving great food. I recommend it to everyone!

Reviewed 23 October 2016

As you read the reviews of the Avalon diner, you’ll see reviews that are all over the map. Some like it a lot, some find it just average, some didn’t enjoy themselves.

Here’s the thing. They’re probably all telling you the truth. Whether you like the Avalon diner or not depends a lot on what you’re looking for.

The first thing to know about the Avalon diner is that this is not some foodie hideout. You’ll recognize every single item on the menu. This is not one of those restaurants where they pair greens with goat brains tartare and charge you $20 for the privilege. The Avalon has stuff like pancakes, a burger, some hash browns, or a milk shake. Comfort food largely.

I’m pretty sure their food isn’t locally sourced, or free range, or anything like that. If that sort of thing is important to you, the Heights or Montrose is your destination. Or, you know, San Francisco.

But lots of what they serve at Avalon really, really, really hits the spot. You choose the right thing and you get diner-grilled-goodness. My wife and I go a lot. We’re particular fans of their breakfast omelettes (which you can get any time of day). Paired with hash browns, and fresh-made biscuits, you’re in breakfast heaven.

It’s a friendly place too. You’ll occasionally see somebody in there with a tie, but mostly it’s jeans, sweatpants, and shorts. You can bring your kids or your Mom.

My wife and I go to the Avalon for breakfast at least once a week or so. I can’t say we’ve ever been for lunch or dinner so you’re on your own there. But if you’re looking for a decent American-style breakfast hot off the grill, the Avalon Diner is your place.

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

We visit often for family breakfast, the service is great and friendly. It gets crowded around 9:30-10AM on the weekends, but the wait is usually not bad. A lot of regulars visit here which I like to see. It's a great place for families.

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Have only had breakfast there but the food's always good, service is always friendly and the menu offers lots of choices. Good-sized portions, too. Senior discounts are offered for those over (I believe) 60 but check the age to be sure.