Hotel San Fermin
US$154
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotel Casa Rosa(Benalmadena)(Great Value!)
US$59
Expedia
  • Beachfront
Holiday Hydros(Benalmadena)
  • Restaurant
Hostal Sol y Miel(Arroyo de la Miel)(Great Value!)
Hotel Best Siroco(Benalmadena)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssteep hillhalf boardpool arealarge poolvery clean hotelbar pricesbed and breakfastrooms are basicmobility problemsenjoyable staywalking difficultieshotel is situatedpaellacleaned dailymost nightslots of choicefood was lovely
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

stayed from 14th-20th april cant realy fault the place , rooms clean and tidy hotel in general very clean I would think its just had a complete referb . food not bad ? being honest I have had better but it is by no means bad just catering a bit more for the Spanish I found something I could eat every night ( didn't need to go out to eat even though I was on half board as I have with some hotels) .didn't use pool or sun beds ect because we were out all day but what I saw of it the gardens and pool looked very tidy . lastly the staff from the cleaners to reception ,inc resturaunt staff were some of the nicest helpful people I have seen in Spanish hotels .
only downside is its at the top of a hill , quite steep but not to long

Room Tip: had a top floor room 959 had a partial sea view over looking pool and gardens .make sure you ask for a view as other side of hotel looks on to car park . if you don't spend anytime in room its ok as car park is clean and tidy
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our stay at San Fermin was very good. We'd booked via Expedia and the booking confirmation said we had a twin room, so I contacted the hotel to ask if we could please have a double room, and the correspondence from the hotel could not have been more helpful! :)

For those unfamiliar with the area, we suggest taking the train from Malaga Airport to Arroyo, and getting a taxi to the hotel - about €6.

I'm going to separate my comments into different sections, for those wanting a quick view of a particular amenity.

Reception: very lovely and helpful staff, allowed us to stow our bags and go for a walk before check in at 13:00. They were exceedingly helpful when we had a slight problem with the air-conditioning, and when my partner required an iron. They also kindly booked us a taxi back to the train station on check-out, and check-out itself was very quick. The ONLY negative is that the check-in process is very slow. There were three members of staff on reception but they all seemed to serve one guest at a time, rather than each serving one.

Room: we had a beautiful room with a large and comfortable double bed, lovely bathroom, and a balcony with views of the sea and mountains. Fab!! Air-conditioning worked well once we got a remote from reception (€20 deposit - you get it back on check out). You had to hire a fridge and a kettle but we didn't bother because we were in Spain and on holiday - not necessary!!

Housekeeping: the maids are wonderful. We tend to keep our own room clean on holiday and so only had the maid in twice during our stay, but she did a beautiful job and was lovely and friendly.

Bar: all staff have very good English, for those not fluent in Spanish. Drinks are reasonably priced, but again, service can be a little slow. Good selection of beers, wines, and spirits, so they cater for all.

Pool: really lovely pool area, and very clean. Good idea to hire sunbeds out for €2 as it means no nabbing of sunbeds! We went in the middle of August and it was never overcrowded or noisy. Nice temperature of the pool as well :)

Entertainment: the entertainers work very hard, and are exceptionally talented. There's a good variety throughout the week, and we appreciated the start time of 22:00, as it meant you could go for drinks and dinner and not miss it. Only downside is that the seating area is not large enough to fit the audience, so a lot of people were standing each night.

Restaurant: we booked half board and this was a good decision. Breakfast was beautiful with a good choice of food for all. I was particularly pleased to see churros on the menu! Be advised, though, that you should try to get down to breakfast before 9pm - by 9:30, there is an enormous queue (not an exaggeration), and you'll be waiting a long time. Dinner was also very nice, and food is always fresh and quickly replenished by staff. A nice tip - we ate out in the evenings once or twice, and the reception staff had no problem switching our half board to breakfast and lunch for those days, provided we gave them 24 hrs' notice. The restaurant staff work exceptionally hard and are very quick.

Location: the hotel is in a very good location, but as other reviewers have mentioned, at the top of a hill. Whilst the hill is a bit of a mission, it is nowhere near as bad as some have made out - please don't let it put you off. If you have walking difficulties or health problems, you may find it a struggle but those who have a normal level of fitness won't have a problem. The beach, bars, shops, and restaurants are a 5-min walk away.

We paid a decent price for this hotel and it was a lovely stay in a lovely hotel. Our only criticism, really, is that for such a big hotel (9 floors), the grounds are perhaps not in proportion - but this is not something they can really change. Overall, we were very happy with our stay, and we would definitely return :)

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise_J0H
Reviewed 25 October 2017

If you like paper thin walls, almost non-existent room Wi-fi, unrequested early morning calls, insipid breakfasts and minimal old wooden room furniture then San Fermin hotel is for you.

Biggest negative was the need to hire a fridge ! Even when I told reception I had 2 medications I needed to keep cold, they were totally unsympathetic as ‘it’s only a 3 star hotel” ! Really ?

Wanted me to come down to reception during the night to retrieve meds from them, maybe more than once, as an alternative to them supplying the fridge. Declined on principle and made other arrangements as I also didn’t check small print to see if I would be charged for hot water, electricity or towels either !

Shocking customer service in my opinion. Gets 1 star for being reasonably clean.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank miketheref
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a 4 night stay at the last minute, we were not disappointed. Upon our arrival we were greeted by friendly reception staff. The room was pretty basic but served its purpose. The room and bathroom were clean. Sea views from our balcony. Nice big pool area and it’s very clean.

The only downside is that you have to pay to use the sun loungers.

All in all great value for money and would recommend this hotel

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davidm1022
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Great hotel we loved it. It was clean and what was good they had a microwave in the restaurant to warm food if it wasn’t warm enough. The pool was nice. The killer hill up to hotel was great to burn off drink and food :-) would Defo stay here again!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family