“Make sure you go on the tram ride”

Space Center Houston
Ranked #25 of 269 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Space Center Houston is one of Houston’s top attractions, the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston’s first Smithsonian Affiliate and a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence awardee. The center features more than 400 space artifacts as well as numerous permanent and traveling exhibits, attractions and theaters related to the exciting future and remarkable past of America’s human space-flight program – all for one admission price. The experience is designed to engage adults and children alike. Known around the world as the home of NASA Mission Control, International Space Station Mission Control and astronaut training, guests are taken behind the scenes to see NASA Johnson Space Center. Space Center Houston is open every day except Christmas day.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 2 May 2018

The visit was enlightening to say the least. the tram ride is a must so make sure you have the time to do it. The 747 with the shuttle on to is a highlight as was the movie about the unsung heros of the space program.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,931)
All reviews
in 75 reviews
"timed tickets"
in 73 reviews

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Awesome stuff to see! Did the 90min tour around the campus, very educational and informing. Saturn is an amazing piece of equipment! Also able to check mission control!
Would recommend when coming to Houston!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

I found the Space Center itself too loud, distracting and full of stuff. But the Level 9 tour, which took all day, was fabulous. Our leader was a fount of knowledge and she was able to provide so much background, my head is spinning. I knew a good amount about the space program, but learned so much more. We visited the pool where the astronauts practice space walking and working, the robotics lab, the old mission control, the new mission control and the saturn 5 rocket. They give you a good lunch and though the tour says 4-5 hours, it doesn't include lunch. We started at 10:45 and finished at 4:45...long tour but wonderful.

1  Thank Fathorsemama
Reviewed 1 May 2018

The level 9 tour was really great. Worth every penny. I am really into space in general so this was a dream for me to see all the centers, see the current mission control, and to stand inside the old control room that brought us to the moon (apparently only very few at NASA even have a key to that room!).
Our tour guide was really nice, and everyone there seemed to like me as the token Canadian to bring up the robotic arms as well as the history of Canadians helping with early and current spaceflight at NASA.
Talking briefly with NASA folks was really nice, including Mr. Gordon Andrews who took the time to speak with us. He humoured me on my "is everyone named Gordon at NASA required to go by 'Gordo'?" question during lunch.
The unexpected bonus we got was there was a very nice young couple there, that surprise suprise the man had called again and worked with them over the last couple of months to do a surprise proposal to his girlfriend right by mission control. She said yes right away ("of course!" actually) and they were invited in to meet the flight director and get their photos taken. The whole staff was super exited to this and seemed like a bunch of staff came by just to say congrats to them. It was super sweet.

I had been the overly space-geek I usually am, mentioning to the couple extra space trivia following the parts from the tour guide, so when he got a gift from the flight director of mission patches, he gave me his duplicates, so that was my personal bonus!

My kids were too young to attend this (and I had a very long drive to get here from where I was visiting friends), but maybe one day when they are older I can go again and bring them along with me (14yo minimum). This was the highlight of my vacation and I cannot recommend it more and wish I could rate it officially 6 out of 5 stars.

2  Thank Nick C
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 May 2018

I loved the different exhibits which explained the history of the space program. It has always fascinated me how far we have come in space travel and how much further we have to go. Understanding how much the space program contributes to science and many things we enjoy today was very enlightening.

Space_Center_Houston, Manager at Space Center Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Thank you for reaching out. Our staff takes great pride in providing interactive attractions that are both fun and educational. We’re thrilled to hear about your amazing experience at Space Center Houston. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.