“First time to eat here but food was really good”
Review of The Raven Grill

The Raven Grill
Ranked #291 of 8,784 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: University Place
Description: The Raven Grill is a neighborhood restaurant serving fresh regional food cooked over a wood fire grill and served in a casual, comfortable atmosphere. We also feature a great wine list and sustainable Raven-grown greens and eggs in many of our menu items.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Menu and reviews were good so we decided to give it a try. Wife's and my food was very good. Peacan crushed chicken with grilled sweet potato wedges and green beans was very good. I had Cedar plank grilled Salmon with mashed potatoes and greens. Salmon was excellent and mash potatoes were also good. Brought out 2 types of sliced breads and butter while we waited for our meals. Both breads were tasty. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 was the waitress didn't return for quite a while after bring our meals.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (153)

Reviewed 29 November 2020

Sunday's from 11am to 3pm, the Raven Grill offers a dleightful and delicious brunch menu!

Indoor and outdoor socially distanced seating is available and offers a cozy and intimate 'feel' where the staff greet you as if you were their favorite customer they've not seen in a while which by the way makes you feel like you're part of 'their' family. And in today's current environment, we ALL need that type of welcoming.

The restaurant owners have been providing wood fire grilled menu items for over 22 years at the same location which is between Hazard and Woodhead off of Bissonet not far from Rice University, the Medical Center and Downtown Houston.

So, this morinng I was greeted by Nevil, the manager and my server, Naoual where I ordered a cup of vegetable chicken soup which was perfect for this cool Houston morning, chicken tacos (flautas) on a bed of romaine, drizzed with a tangy tomatillo sauce and fresh pico de gallo. Flavorful, light,combinations that were simply a perfect start to my day. With coffee this was so REASONABLY Priced under USD 18.

My complements to the chef, entire staff and management to making my 'solo' experience comfortable and welcoming. And to the owners, for assembling such a competent, professional and personable staff who are appropriately attentive.

Thank you and Happy Holidays! I know I'll be back with friends!

Eleanor Shifflette
Houston Native (Vintage 1956)

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 17 November 2019 via mobile

My husband loved his steak salad, and my salmon and mashed potatoes was great comfort food after a medical center visit.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed 16 October 2019

We have Sunday brunch at Raven about twice a month, and sometimes, like today, I'll meet a friend for a leisurely catch-up lunch. This is consistently one of the best restaurants that we visit in Houston, with warm service and food lovingly prepared with fresh ingredients and a skillful understanding of what makes dishes memorable. You can never go wrong with any of the enchiladas, from chicken to sweet potato, and the fresh catch of the day selections are a perennial favorite. Dessert, you say? Raven has an incredible selection, and you will love the featured fruit tarts, wrapped in flaky pastry that melts in your mouth. Great wines and cocktails, excellent specialty coffees, and plenty of easy parking -- a miracle in Houston. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: October 2019
1  Thank SlyFoxx
Reviewed 9 August 2019 via mobile

We ate an early dinner at the bar after running errands all day. Our bartender/server was Francois and he was a lot of fun. Great stories to share. It was like having dinner AND entertainment, too.

He made an excellent Lemon Drop Martini. I had not had one of these in about 15 years, but he hit a home run with it.

We split a small Caesar salad to start. I had the Cedar Plank Salmon, my favorite dish here, and the husband had the New York Strip.

A great restaurant in a great part of town (where there are no other restaurants around) with lots of free surface parking.

Date of visit: August 2019