“Tasty Food & Pleasant Ambiance”

Willie G's Seafood & Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
Willie G's Seafood & Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 322 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

We visited Willie G’s for a dinner on Friday night. Although we have made an advanced reservation, the restaurant had plenty seating available. (Generally, though, it’s recommended to make reservations.)
We were promptly seated at a table with the view of the pier. The place was not full, as I mentioned and it wasn’t loud - a nice setting for dinner.
The service was very prompt and courteous.
We had shrimp cocktail and shells stuffed with crab and spinach for appetizers. Both of them were quite good. I personally liked the stuffed shells more. Additionally shrimp cocktail was served in a fashion we are not used to - not in a glass mixed with the sauce and other condiments, but separately. The shrimps were brought out on ice and the two kinds of sauces on the side.
For the main course we shared Mixed Grill Platter. We both found it excellent and very tasty. Enjoyed it a lot.
The wine selection is pretty standard for this type of restaurant, not really wide but sufficient to find a good pairing. The Chardonnay we ordered tasted so what different from what we know this wine to taste, but it was ok.
All in all it was very enjoyable night out and we may be visiting Willie G’s in Galveston again.

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

A nice long cold weekend in Galveston and dined at Willie Gs on the bay. I was disappointed with the fried shrimp. They were butterflied flat shrimp that looked straight out of a frozen bag and tasted like it. My wife ordered a fried seafood platter and enjoyed the variety. Same flat shrimp however. A very comfortable place and friendly staff. Can’t get over how disappointed I was with my food. I had set my hopes high for fresh shrimp. Kind of a motivation killer to return.

1  Thank Sippytime
Reviewed 9 December 2017

So first. Yes, it is part of the Landry's chain, but do not let that put you off. Located near the bay in Galveston, it is surprisingly nice for a touristy location. We found the staff to be accommodating and friendly.

We started with 1/2 doz oysters on the half shell and well, they tasted like oysters. Very fresh, a touch briny. Everything you would expect. The bread is the exact same you will find at any restaurant in the Landry's chain. Good, butterery and garlicy.

We moved on to the seared tuna rolls and the redfish Louisiana. First the fish. It was topped with crab and shrimp and crawfish, I believe. It was the best piece of redfish I had tasted in some time. Would certainly order again.

Unfortunately the tuna rolls were underwhelming. The fish had virtually no taste at all. I am guessing old and previously frozen. It just was not sushi grade Ahi, that it for sure. And it was not cheap. I would certainly avoid next time.

Prices were decent and the atmosphere was nice. Fortunately we were there in off-season, so no wait. Total with one cocktail and 2 glasses of wine was about $83.00. Our waiter was delightful (Kenneth) and knew his way around a menu, which was nice.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

The waitress we had rattled off all the specials from memory. She didn't need to write down what the four of us wanted. Repeated it back to us to verify, and brought it exactly as ordered. She checked on us on and off during dinner to make certain we were doing okay. The view we had from right next to the window topped it off. And, the food was good!

Reviewed 6 December 2017

The menu is mostly seafood, though they do have a chicken dish and offer steak. I love scallops, and this year the waitress guaranteed they'd be hot when brought to the table (stone cold the year before). They were hot, cooked to perfection and delicious. Our party of over 40 was seated at four tables and the waiters were constantly making sure everyone was taken care of. Just a short walk from the Strand. A little pricey, but it is a fine-dining sort of place. Oh - and try one of the tiny desserts - $3 for a few bites of molten lava cake - perfect to end the meal and kill that sweet craving.