“Scrumptious ”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Breakfast was out of this world. You must try the corned beef hash tacos with a side of cheesy grits. Yum! Will definitely return!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came to Galveston Island for the holidays and looking for a breakfast place. We were pointed to this quaint restaurant. Most of the food was your standard fare but two dishes stand out. The corned beef tacos were delicious and so was the cranberry muffin. I would highly recommend for a breakfast place, prices were reasonable and service was quite good.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

My husband and I ate here for the first time today. Since it is a Sunday, they close at 3 p.m. We did not realize that, but we arrived around 2:40. Another family came in at about 2:50 and one of the female employees who was sitting at a table by the door eating along with four other employees loudly and rudely told the family that they close at 3. That is when I realized they would be closing soon. One of the other employees got up from the table to take the order. The family said they would leave as they didn't want to keep them open longer than they were supposed to be, but the male employee told them it was fine. They were about to walk out, but he convinced them to stay. I was already not too thrilled with the place as our teas must have cost about $4 each. Our meals were $11.49 and $11.99 and our bill was $34 something. I couldn't find the price for the tea posted. The food was very good, but the portions were small. We left still hungry. We probably will not be back. The rude employee really got under my skin. I can understand wanting to get off on time, but she shouldn't have been so rude to the family of five. I felt very unwelcome due to her.

1  Thank Scout223
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Had a nice dinner here with a friend.
We both left satisfied and enjoyed the meal.
The restaurant was clean and comfortable.
Will probably go again next time I'm in town.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Galveston's East End Historical District should be given significant attention in a visit to Galveston Island. It was the original settlement that grew into a bustling Port City and established the Gateway to the State of Texas from the Gulf of Mexico. One can take a guided tour, stroll the streets and imagine a bygone era when expansive Southern homes were the statement of wealth and good living. Many of the homes have been meticulously restored and are once again individual family homes with lovely gardens and authentic colors and decor. The visitor will undoubtedly enjoy the beautiful experience of standing at 14th and Broadway where the Byzantine-style Sacred Heart Church and The Bishop's Palace form the entrance to The Historic District. It is also on 14th Street where the fortunate visitor will come upon a dining experience not to be missed - The Mosquito Cafe. With seating inside and out, the extensive menu will delight all diners - young and old and take it from one who figured out that you have dessert first - otherwise you will be too full to enjoy the fabulous desserts prepared at their Patty Cakes Bakery (across the street for additional treats!) - a slice of the lemonade cake serves as a perfect appetizer to the scrumptious breakfast, lunch or dinner selections. Because I've tried everything on the menu and cannot possibly name a favorite, I am constantly re-trying previous delights - because absolutely everything is delicious. You stand in line to order and your meal is delivered to you and you will note that the line often goes out the door - you will know why once you've eaten there! The owners are usually on site - friendly and delightful - and the staff are equally friendly and accommodating. There is no better way to enjoy Galveston's East End Historic District than to dine at The Mosquito Cafe - you will be back!