Expedia
Ye Kendall Inn
  • Pool
All reviewssporting clayshuntingshootinglodgeuplanderinhausblindlodgingdeer
Reviewed 12 May 2016

We had an all around wonderful time at Joshua Creek Ranch Resort. The only thing I would recommend is a little more attention to the food We had good service but mediocre food the first night all other nights were good. Other than that it was a wonderful stay. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Tony D
Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

This is a very very nicely done ranch/guesthouse geared towards the outdoors and especially high end hunters. This is our second time back, and it is a 3.5 hour drive one way for us, if that gives you any indication of how worth the drive is. I did two rounds of sporting clays, had two breakfasts, one dinner. There was a corporate clays event there Saturday and Sunday , but after 2pm we had full access to the course. In the evening, my wife and I had the patio and dining room just about to ourselves, and at night we had the whole lodging compound to ourselves! Quick easy drive to boerne, and if you want to stay local, the town of "welfare" has a few quirky joints to dine at. The lodge is amazing, only downside-- bring your own scotch. Only wine and beer served, so if you want a good single malt after a day of gunning , BYO. But staff is accommodative on that point, they don't have a problem with BYO.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TK55
Reviewed 1 March 2016

I wanted to fall in love with Joshua Creek Ranch. To be sure, the place is loaded with beautiful birds … chukar, quail, pheasants, and the full range of native birds and other wildlife. The location of the ranch is easy to get to, yet is far enough removed to feel out in the great wide-open … away from the city; the Texas countryside. We arrived late on a Tuesday, for three nights. Our first morning hunt yielded exceptional results… in a beautiful setting, with a skilled guide and well-trained (and adorable) dogs. The second hunt was fun too; but with smaller results (friendly guide, but with a trainee in tow; and lesser experienced dogs). Overall, two terrific hunts. Lodging and meals are also excellent at Joshua Creek…. In fact, some of the most luxurious bedding/room amenities this typically spoiled female hunter has experienced (what a difference a hair dryer and a regulation-size bar of soap can make!). We also tried our hand at fly-fishing for trout – as trumpeted in promotional materials – but with poor results. A recent rain may have hindered the bragging rights. Sporting Clays were fun too – and challenging – but be sure to have enough eye and other protective gear. The clays may just come at you with a vengeance. To our surprise, there is absolutely no “safety test” at Joshua Creek to qualify you to grab your gun and go a-shootin’. In fact, unlike other “elite” shooting ranches we’ve been to, at NO time did anyone require us to watch a safety video, or hear a similar speech. So, heed this advice: hunter beware.
With all the good things going for Joshua Creek, it hasn’t been hard to identify what’s altogether missing. It comes down to one fundamental element: Hospitality. From the moment we arrived, until checkout three days later, not a single individual at Joshua Creek made us feel genuinely welcome. In fact, not even remotely welcome. Let me be clear, no one was unkind (the dining room ladies, in particular, were very pleasant), but never did we feel like a valued or appreciated guest … we were simply a couple spending a good deal of money, and “hopefully” having a good experience. Call me crazy, but I’d rather have a so-so hunt (and how could it be anything else in nature’s backyard?) in a place where we feel like the most valued guest on the ranch, than to feel like simply another “party of two in the Persimmon room.” Even the “owners,” who dined just 10 feet from us at our last lunch, didn’t bother to give us the time of day, with only one other group on the entire ranch. Such a simple gesture it would have been to acknowledge us … and possibly made all the difference between a one-time and a returning guest. Truly disappointing.
Note to the Kercheville family: Take a trip to Riverview Plantation in Camilla, Georgia to experience Southern Hospitality at its finest. It isn’t just a little thing. It’s EVERYTHING.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travelingkat64
Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

I have been to Joshua Creek many times and I find they always try to make it a pleasure. I shoot sporting clays here with friends (one of them is a member) I'm a certified Level I instructor and some of my friends shoot Master Class.
The Sporting Cays course is changed often enough to keep targets interesting and there are usually several challenging presentations. I recommend you drive your vehicle or use a cart (the course is designed so you can do this) as the rolling hills that provide the wonderful views would be a real workout.
I have also done several of the bird hunts here and hope to do more. All the guides I have worked with have been great and the dogs exceptional. I particularly enjoyed a mixed bird shoot a friend and I did to "warm up" before a pheasant hunting trip. We both shoot .28 GA so the mix of pheasant, quail and chukker made for lively shooting as you didn't know what the dogs would be putting up. We shot in mixed terrain and the guide brought more than one team of great dogs so there were always fresh noses finding the plentiful birds. While pen raised the shooting was quite sporty and very enjoyable. Be sure to bring your blaze orange for birds as they are safety conscious at Joshua Creek. I can't wait to try some of the driven birds that my friends have talked highly of too.
I have also attended several of the special events that are offered at Joshua Creek, from a special wine tasting gourmet dinner (excellently done) to shooting events which are very popular I have always had a good time. While I wouldn't say this is cheap I would say you get a lot of enjoyment for the cash. Allow time to relax at the beautiful lodge with a cool drink afterwards. The bird hunting is a well priced splurge that I'd do again and again. Now I just need lessons on cooking the great birds!
There is always a good list of upcoming events so get on the list for the email newsletter to keep an eye on the future events and deals.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank RealHuntress
Reviewed 22 April 2015

My experience at this resort style hunting and relaxing ranch over a long weekend was far from what I expected. The statements made to me at the point of the sale were very diferent than what I received. From the moment I got to Joshua creek, my tip was on a down hill slope. You check in and then you are rushed to practice shooting and then rushed out to the Feild to sit in a blind with your guide. I arrive 30 minutes before you're allowed to check After not seeing any thing, you go back to have your dinner but all other ranch guest which there were many have already eaten and you are made to feel like you are a burden and your meal has been sitting cold for 2.5 hours as dinner time is 6 pm or so. After the morning hunt, I got in at 9:15 after not seeing any animals again and was told that the 5 greasy potatoes, a scoop of dried eggs and 1 piece of bacon laying on a greasy piece of bread was my breakfast. I refused to eat this and it was cold. I was 23 minutes late even thou I was with a guide. I was told by the one of the seasoned kitchen helpers that I could easily drive in the Comfort 15 miles away for breakfast. I was beside myself but one of the employees finally said they would put together a couple of tacos for me, I believe it took them approximately 5 minutes to do so. After requesting to shoot some sporting clays during some down time, I was told that that they had guest that didn't want any shooting or noise because they had a large group that wanted it quite and I was not allowed to do that, and then I asked somebody else and I was told I could do that but at 10:30 so it seem very disorganized. I was 25 minutes late for the noon lunch hour due to a late start on sporting clay's so at 12:25 the food was gone and what was left looked pretty picked over as it was served outdoors. It was sandwich bread and some meat. The balance of my trip went about the same and never had deer with in a reasonable hunting range and would not return to this facility.

Room Tip: The porch house
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple