“Fantastic experience!”

and 1 more site!
Joshua Creek Ranch
Ranked #4 of 11 Boerne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 May 2016

We had an all around wonderful time at Joshua Creek Ranch Resort. The only thing I would recommend is a little more attention to the food We had good service but mediocre food the first night all other nights were good. Other than that it was a wonderful stay. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Tony D

Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

This is a very very nicely done ranch/guesthouse geared towards the outdoors and especially high end hunters. This is our second time back, and it is a 3.5 hour drive one way for us, if that gives you any indication of how worth the drive is. I did two rounds of sporting clays, had two breakfasts, one dinner. There was a corporate clays event there Saturday and Sunday , but after 2pm we had full access to the course. In the evening, my wife and I had the patio and dining room just about to ourselves, and at night we had the whole lodging compound to ourselves! Quick easy drive to boerne, and if you want to stay local, the town of "welfare" has a few quirky joints to dine at. The lodge is amazing, only downside-- bring your own scotch. Only wine and beer served, so if you want a good single malt after a day of gunning , BYO. But staff is accommodative on that point, they don't have a problem with BYO.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TK55
Reviewed 1 March 2016

I wanted to fall in love with Joshua Creek Ranch. To be sure, the place is loaded with beautiful birds … chukar, quail, pheasants, and the full range of native birds and other wildlife. The location of the ranch is easy to get to, yet is far enough removed to feel out in the great wide-open … away from the city; the Texas countryside. We arrived late on a Tuesday, for three nights. Our first morning hunt yielded exceptional results… in a beautiful setting, with a skilled guide and well-trained (and adorable) dogs. The second hunt was fun too; but with smaller results (friendly guide, but with a trainee in tow; and lesser experienced dogs). Overall, two terrific hunts. Lodging and meals are also excellent at Joshua Creek…. In fact, some of the most luxurious bedding/room amenities this typically spoiled female hunter has experienced (what a difference a hair dryer and a regulation-size bar of soap can make!). We also tried our hand at fly-fishing for trout – as trumpeted in promotional materials – but with poor results. A recent rain may have hindered the bragging rights. Sporting Clays were fun too – and challenging – but be sure to have enough eye and other protective gear. The clays may just come at you with a vengeance. To our surprise, there is absolutely no “safety test” at Joshua Creek to qualify you to grab your gun and go a-shootin’. In fact, unlike other “elite” shooting ranches we’ve been to, at NO time did anyone require us to watch a safety video, or hear a similar speech. So, heed this advice: hunter beware.
With all the good things going for Joshua Creek, it hasn’t been hard to identify what’s altogether missing. It comes down to one fundamental element: Hospitality. From the moment we arrived, until checkout three days later, not a single individual at Joshua Creek made us feel genuinely welcome. In fact, not even remotely welcome. Let me be clear, no one was unkind (the dining room ladies, in particular, were very pleasant), but never did we feel like a valued or appreciated guest … we were simply a couple spending a good deal of money, and “hopefully” having a good experience. Call me crazy, but I’d rather have a so-so hunt (and how could it be anything else in nature’s backyard?) in a place where we feel like the most valued guest on the ranch, than to feel like simply another “party of two in the Persimmon room.” Even the “owners,” who dined just 10 feet from us at our last lunch, didn’t bother to give us the time of day, with only one other group on the entire ranch. Such a simple gesture it would have been to acknowledge us … and possibly made all the difference between a one-time and a returning guest. Truly disappointing.
Note to the Kercheville family: Take a trip to Riverview Plantation in Camilla, Georgia to experience Southern Hospitality at its finest. It isn’t just a little thing. It’s EVERYTHING.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelingkat64
Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

I have been to Joshua Creek many times and I find they always try to make it a pleasure. I shoot sporting clays here with friends (one of them is a member) I'm a certified Level I instructor and some of my friends shoot Master Class.
The Sporting Cays course is changed often enough to keep targets interesting and there are usually several challenging presentations. I recommend you drive your vehicle or use a cart (the course is designed so you can do this) as the rolling hills that provide the wonderful views would be a real workout.
I have also done several of the bird hunts here and hope to do more. All the guides I have worked with have been great and the dogs exceptional. I particularly enjoyed a mixed bird shoot a friend and I did to "warm up" before a pheasant hunting trip. We both shoot .28 GA so the mix of pheasant, quail and chukker made for lively shooting as you didn't know what the dogs would be putting up. We shot in mixed terrain and the guide brought more than one team of great dogs so there were always fresh noses finding the plentiful birds. While pen raised the shooting was quite sporty and very enjoyable. Be sure to bring your blaze orange for birds as they are safety conscious at Joshua Creek. I can't wait to try some of the driven birds that my friends have talked highly of too.
I have also attended several of the special events that are offered at Joshua Creek, from a special wine tasting gourmet dinner (excellently done) to shooting events which are very popular I have always had a good time. While I wouldn't say this is cheap I would say you get a lot of enjoyment for the cash. Allow time to relax at the beautiful lodge with a cool drink afterwards. The bird hunting is a well priced splurge that I'd do again and again. Now I just need lessons on cooking the great birds!
There is always a good list of upcoming events so get on the list for the email newsletter to keep an eye on the future events and deals.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank RealHuntress
Reviewed 28 July 2015

We drove up from Houston (4 hours) to attend a wine and food pairing held at the ranch. Representatives from five area wineries presented two selections each paired with food prepared by the ranch chef. The wines were all from Texas, and we ended up buying several bottles of the wines we tasted. The food was outstanding, including game dishes (pheasant and duck sausage, venison soup) to Tri Tip steak and desserts of peaches and figs in excellent reduction served with ice cream and accompanies by two sweet Muscat wines.

The ranch has hosted wine pairing dinners in the past, and plans to do a boubon and cigar night in the fall.

The ranch is best known for its axis deer, dove, and upland game hunting. They also have some ponds and the creek, which can be fished. There were many people taking advantage of the public sporting clays courses.

Since we were far from home, we stayed overnight. The rooms were on the small side, but well furnished and very comfortable. There is also a common room stocked with coffee, soft drinks, and water. There are several buildings on the property, including the conference center, where the wine and food pairing was held, a breakfast room, which served a hearty eggs, bacon and biscuit meal in the morning, and a well equipped pro and gift shop.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Duck" and other family members in "Cattle" overlooking the main lo...