All reviews sporting clays hunting shooting lodge upland haus blind lodging deer
Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

I have been to Joshua Creek many times and I find they always try to make it a pleasure. I shoot sporting clays here with friends (one of them is a member) I'm a certified Level I instructor and some of my friends shoot Master Class.
The Sporting Cays course is changed often enough to keep targets interesting and there are usually several challenging presentations. I recommend you drive your vehicle or use a cart (the course is designed so you can do this) as the rolling hills that provide the wonderful views would be a real workout.
I have also done several of the bird hunts here and hope to do more. All the guides I have worked with have been great and the dogs exceptional. I particularly enjoyed a mixed bird shoot a friend and I did to "warm up" before a pheasant hunting trip. We both shoot .28 GA so the mix of pheasant, quail and chukker made for lively shooting as you didn't know what the dogs would be putting up. We shot in mixed terrain and the guide brought more than one team of great dogs so there were always fresh noses finding the plentiful birds. While pen raised the shooting was quite sporty and very enjoyable. Be sure to bring your blaze orange for birds as they are safety conscious at Joshua Creek. I can't wait to try some of the driven birds that my friends have talked highly of too.
I have also attended several of the special events that are offered at Joshua Creek, from a special wine tasting gourmet dinner (excellently done) to shooting events which are very popular I have always had a good time. While I wouldn't say this is cheap I would say you get a lot of enjoyment for the cash. Allow time to relax at the beautiful lodge with a cool drink afterwards. The bird hunting is a well priced splurge that I'd do again and again. Now I just need lessons on cooking the great birds!
There is always a good list of upcoming events so get on the list for the email newsletter to keep an eye on the future events and deals.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank RealHuntress
Reviewed 22 April 2015

My experience at this resort style hunting and relaxing ranch over a long weekend was far from what I expected. The statements made to me at the point of the sale were very diferent than what I received. From the moment I got to Joshua creek, my tip was on a down hill slope. You check in and then you are rushed to practice shooting and then rushed out to the Feild to sit in a blind with your guide. I arrive 30 minutes before you're allowed to check After not seeing any thing, you go back to have your dinner but all other ranch guest which there were many have already eaten and you are made to feel like you are a burden and your meal has been sitting cold for 2.5 hours as dinner time is 6 pm or so. After the morning hunt, I got in at 9:15 after not seeing any animals again and was told that the 5 greasy potatoes, a scoop of dried eggs and 1 piece of bacon laying on a greasy piece of bread was my breakfast. I refused to eat this and it was cold. I was 23 minutes late even thou I was with a guide. I was told by the one of the seasoned kitchen helpers that I could easily drive in the Comfort 15 miles away for breakfast. I was beside myself but one of the employees finally said they would put together a couple of tacos for me, I believe it took them approximately 5 minutes to do so. After requesting to shoot some sporting clays during some down time, I was told that that they had guest that didn't want any shooting or noise because they had a large group that wanted it quite and I was not allowed to do that, and then I asked somebody else and I was told I could do that but at 10:30 so it seem very disorganized. I was 25 minutes late for the noon lunch hour due to a late start on sporting clay's so at 12:25 the food was gone and what was left looked pretty picked over as it was served outdoors. It was sandwich bread and some meat. The balance of my trip went about the same and never had deer with in a reasonable hunting range and would not return to this facility.

Room Tip: The porch house
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Between September and March, I visit Joshua Creek at least once a month. It's not always for hunting, sometimes we meet there to sharpen our shots on the Sporting Clay range. The food is wonderful, the lodging is fantastic, and the service it beyond expectations. Some will say JCR is expensive. I wont argue the point, but with the current quail conditions in Texas, it is a very fair and viable option.

As a regular, here are several tips:
Best hunting time is mid December thru February. Plenty of free ranging birds, dogs work best in cool weather, and overall conditions are perfect.

JCR has a certified shotgun instructor. Ask about sporting clay lessons from Eric. He's fantastic.

Beginning in the Fall of 2014, duck hunting comes to JCR.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Hunting arrangements and food great. Sleeping lodges poor sound insulation.
Front desk hit or miss; girls can be rude and forgetful.
Paperwork cumbersome--multiple guests could not read liability forms due to poor copy quality.
For this expense, some of the top portion of forms could have been pre populated by staff--front desk girls just sit there while customer spends 10 minutes--I spent less time filling out forms for a vasectomy than this.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank keith l
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was my 60th birthday gift from my wife and my first ever hunting experience. The facility was as beautiful as was shown on the brochures. The bird hunting guides were professional and very helpful. The hunting dogs were a sight to see.The waitstaff and pro shop staff were courteous and friendly. The food and accommodation were excellent. We plan on visiting Joshua Creek Ranch at least once per year.

Room Tip: The patio suite was adjacent to the main lodge and very accessible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple