“Gorgeous views, gorgeous food”

Montalto Piazza Cafe
Ranked #10 of 29 Restaurants in Red Hill
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

Travelling aimlessly around the peninsula with mum looking for a coffee location we came across Montaltos. After convincing my teetotaller mother that wineries are great for food we decided to have a light lunch. Mint tea, coffee, cheese platter and lavender tart were consumed in a delightful surrounding. Visiting on a Tuesday out of school holidays we were surprised that the cafe was so busy. Obvious the locals know where to go. Will definitely be back

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

Came here and great timing the Annual Montalto Sculpture Prize Exhibition is on running from 26 Feb to 29 Oct 2017.
This is a 1km walk that loops around approx 23 Finalists on exhibit and 29 permanent collections - allow at least 30mins to really enjoy and appreciate. Bring a glass of wine as you go around. Well this is the bonus after enjoying an excellent lunch at the Piazza Cafe - the food is amazing; complex multi dimension flavours that work well together - so great! Most of the greens and herbs are grown on site from the garden. We ordered the Napoli pizza, spiced roasted pumpkin and bratwurst with cabbage and mustard dressing - OMG so good! Washed down with Pinot Gris and Pinos Gris late harvest after. So satisfying.
Relaxing and makes you feel fab with the views around you, the Vineyard in the backdrop.
The staff are so good and very attentive, knowledgeable and engaging. You can feel the personal touch in amidst the busy lunch time and yes, the place is packed!
Also wine tasting at the cellar door - A$5 per person to try all the available ones at the time.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

This came highly recommended by family. The restaurant was fully booked so we chose the piazza. It smelt delicious, so was really disappointed. The pizza I had was awful. Way too soggy, I could only really eat around the outer edges. I also saw and heard a waitress tell a diner that all the high chairs were in use so he couldn't have one for his toddler. Yet within sight of all of us was one not being used. The diner asked at the table where it was, he was able to take it - problem solved. I think the waitress was lazy and so didn't sort it herself despite it being in her line of sight. That's just not good enough for a place that is supposed to be highly regarded! A person holding a baby shouldn't have to go find their own high chair.

1  Thank JosieTango
Reviewed 24 April 2017

This was my first time to Montalto Piazza Cafe I went there with some friends to celebrate my friends Birthday and I can say definitely it will be the last time. We arrived around 11am and were greeted by an unsmiling, unfriendly waitress with blonde hair who waved her hand and said sit anywhere and went back to the coffee machine and standing around talking to her waitress colleague. We got glasses and water, glasses were filthy and had stuff stuck on them and we had to send them back to the kitchen. Salt and pepper were empty as table service here seems to be a myth, I got up and requested some full ones. A replacement set were given which were empty, again, after everyone had used them once. We ordered Lamb Ribs which were oily, expensive and had about as much meat on them as a thimble. We had a pizza which was not bad, some potatoes which were not cooked completely and some olives. We had flies and wasps flying all around ours, and other diners tables with zero interest from staff. My friend was quite upset that she would be bitten as she has and allergy, again, no interest from staff even though we were waving our arms around like we were lost at sea. We ordered a $44 bottle of Montalto wine, the waitress bought it out and plonked it down on the table unopened with a stack of four glasses. I asked her if she was going to open it and she looked at me like I was from another planet. I have never paid $44 for a bottle of white wine which is unopened and unpoured, even at a cafe. There was no offer to chill it and every request made was greeted with bored indifference by the staff. We tried to order more drinks to no avail, my friends ended up going to the bar and buying them and coming back to the table with them. We sat at our table with a greasy table and dirty dishes for at least forty minutes, trying to get any staffs attention was impossible even though there were so many working and the cafe was not that busy. The only time the staff seemed to move was when I placed the dirty dishes on the table next to me so we could have a clear table, they then moved immediately to clear the table! We were going to have dessert there, but it was all to hard. No one should have to work to get wait staffs attention on a continual basis. We ended going up to the counter to pay, needless to say we didn't leave a tip (except maybe provide decent service to paying customers). After this we went across to the wine tasting area and bought two bottles of the same wine for $25 each. We paid $19 for a waiter to walk five metres to our table to plonk an unopened bottle of wine and glasses down on out table. Ridiculous. No one minds paying corkage if you actually get some service that goes along with it. I would encourage people to look at another place to eat as the menu is not that big, the portions small and the food not that great. Chuck in absolutely lousy, disinterested service and innumerable wasps and flies buzzing around your head, plate and table while you eat and I would give it zero stars except there is no option. If you do decide to go, take a fly swatter and a can of Baygon. Note to the management and staff, smile at your customers, actually be friendly and welcoming and they might actually want to come back, we won't, but other people might. And do something about the wasps and flies!!!!!!!

1  Thank VMUP
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Came for a working lunch mid week.

Staff un organised after clear instruction. Requested GF option for colleague prior to meeting, it was forgotten and came out 15 mins later.

We requested a drink 3 times before it came, there were wasps everywhere (apparently drawn to meat) and the toilets were absolutely disgusting - dirty and un kept.

The lunch meals were below average quality, not to winery standard at all.

My husband and I came for dinner for a special occasion last year and it was a completely different vibe - just lovely.

Definitely would NOT recommend lunch here, the only think I can rate highly here are the views - but what's that without great service and delicious food?!

1  Thank aujoyo149