“Delicious food, great experience ”
Review of Red Gum BBQ

Red Gum BBQ
Ranked #12 of 29 Restaurants in Red Hill
Price range: US$17 - US$34
Description: Red Gum BBQ, the name of Southern Style Barbeque on the MorningtonPeninsula is now at its own giant warehouse in Red Hill and bringing its authentic, wood fired, slow smoked, free range awesomeness to the masses. Visit us for what's been named as some of the best BBQ in Australia (Time Out Magazine), sip a craft beer on tap and let the kids play in our kids corner while you enjoy a true experience
Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

I took a family member to Red Gum BBQ recently and what can I say - we really enjoyed it. This was our first time trying Southern American barbeque and we are glad we chose to experience it on holiday as the restaurant really is doing something right!

I’d read that Red Gum BBQ can get extremely busy so we thought we’d strategically make a lunch booking mid-week to give ourselves the best opportunity. After arriving it started pouring with rain, and as soon as I opened the car door I could smell the gorgeous smoky aroma from the fire pit. It must have been the right day to go because when we came in at 12:00pm the restaurant was almost completely empty! We couldn’t believe our luck - we knew we wouldn’t need to worry about running out of meat.

A staff member greeted us, took us to our own table and explained how to order from the menu. There was an excellent selection of choices on offer, including beef brisket, beef ribs, pork belly and ribs and chicken, all free range from various Australian farms. There was also a lunch special menu with various rolls containing meat. We ended up selecting the beef ribs, beef brisket, broccoli salad and coleslaw to start with. The beef ribs were just divine - so soft and delicious and very filling. The brisket was good also but quite pricy for the serving size ($18) - I recommend the ribs as better value. I loved the salad and coleslaw as well, but my dining partner found the broccoli salad a bit disappointing. There’s some more indulgent sides on offer as well like Mac and Cheese and chili cheese fries so it all depends on your personal taste.

We were so full but decided to take home some chicken and the cornbread with whipped honey butter (get some of this - everyone was getting it and it’s delicious). Not only that, the key lime pie available for dessert was AMAZING and an absolute must if it’s on the menu. You will not regret it!

Prices are on the higher side here as others have noted, but for the quality of the meat received we didn’t mind and thought it was worth it. I also found the staff quite obliging as well and my dining partner noted this too. We thoroughly enjoyed our time and I do recommend going during the week in order to get the best of everything. A great first introduction to southern BBQ. We will be back!

1  Thank room_downstairs

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

I lived in the States for 16 years and would have to travel from the Northeast to the Deep South for real BBQ like this. I’m not in Red Hill...I’m somewhere between Texas and Georgia; the big old corrugated iron barn is rustic, simple. Just like the food, there’s nothing fancy here, but sink your teeth into fall-off-the-bone juicy ribs and you might as well be in Ern’s backyard next to the cows and pigs. Who’s Ern? I don’t know, some farmer Joe who just knows what he likes and knows how to cook it. So park your horse and put your behind down on a big old timber bench, share a tale or two with a stranger and down a couple of beers - you’ll need it to wash down those ribs and hose off those saucy red lips! Yeehaw!

1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

The food was amazing! Brisket was perfectly cooked and the mac and cheese was great, as well. Just like the BBQ from America!

1  Thank Courtney W
Reviewed 7 February 2018

I was so excited to try this place out after hearing nothing but good things about it! Came here with my 3yo and baby. LOVED it! Such a casual, cool space. The food came out super quickly and it was all YUM! We ordered the quarter chicken, pork ribs, chips, gherkins and corn bread. Chicken was a little dry but still tasty, and the pork ribs.. just yum. The lovely ladies behind the bar even accommodated giving my daughter a purple cup for her drink, saving us a meltdown - thank you!

The music was great, and the play area for the kids fantastic. I wish we could have spent longer here as I would have loved to try some of the beer but my baby was starting to crack it. Will definitely come back on our next trip down this way, thank you for your wonderful hospitality!

2  Thank pants87
Reviewed 6 February 2018

Popped in sunday as been driving past a few time so thought have a crack. Must say was pretty good and enjoyable good food good booze

Only downfall loaded brisket fries were soagy yes there loaded but the fries need to be cooked first, apart from that not complaints

1  Thank Hollywoodmick