“Luncheon with friends”
Review of L'Auberge

L'Auberge
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Lilydale
Reviewed 26 March 2018

My first visit to L'Auberge and it was delightful. The atmosphere was sensational. The staff wonderful and attentive. We ate on the mezzanine of the main room and that was delightful too. I had confit duck. It was very tender and delish. Considering having a 70th there. Will certainly come again.

1  Thank Donna V

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

I have been to this place more times than I can count, right from when they first opened. I have always loved it and raved about it. Today I visited with my sister who lives in England and part of her year in France. She was excited to visit after hearing about this place from me and our mum. Initially we sat upstairs because it was quite busy downstairs, but after 20 minutes of sweating up there with a menu we moved ourselves downstairs. We were then finally approached by a waiter to take our order who was quite abrupt when he advised we could not have a combined cheese and meat platter. I expressed my displeasure at this because I have had the combined platter many times before. We eventually agreed to have both, but it left a sour taste in my mouth as my sister visiting doesn't have a lot of money and this was her treat. We thoroughly enjoyed the two platters, but service wise I thought it was a poor decision. How can you decide you no longer offer a combined platter as an option? You might think you were clever because you got more money out of my sister, but not really. We were going to have the combined platter $19.00 plus marinated olives $9.90 plus I would have had my usual orangina drink $4.50. We were also eyeing off dessert from your beautiful display which was probably at least $10 worth. Instead we filled up on our two platters and that was it. Don't get too big for your boots. Platters are not pre prepared. You can't tell me you can't put a bit of meat and a bit of cheese on a board.

4  Thank carswellclan
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Having visited several times and always thoroughly enjoyed the experience we decided to go for lunch again. This time with friends who had also been before. As on previous visits the meals were all very well received, tasty and nicely presented at a fair price.
Sadly the service fell short a number of times.
Drinks menu not presented on arrival.
No light beer available.
Incorrect meal brought to the table.
Empty plates removed, but long break before coffee etc was offered.
Ordered two cakes/slice for dessert and asked for two extra plates, cutlery as we had decided to share. The offer to have them cut was much appreciated, however they arrived cut nicely, on one plate each. Asked again for the additional plates, only to wait and then go to the counter to ask again.
Several different staff members to our earlier visits, maybe they are "learning the ropes", but a bit disappointing. Perhaps we'll try again, as it is a pleasant setting and the menu offers a different style of food to the other cafes in the area.

Reviewed 3 February 2018

We sat outside. Staff were super attentive even though they were very busy inside. Owner popped out to say hello and we felt very welcome with our two small dogs. We both enjoyed our meals and we will definitely go back.

1  Thank GayD53
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Lovely old church renovated To celebrate the owners French Origins. We went on a very hot day and had our request for a cooler spot accommodated by the staff opening up a separate section so our elderly guests could dine in comfort. Food was classic French with tarts, quiches and terrines on offer as well as many other options. Great coffee and French cakes to follow. Catering for weddings also noted. Lovely french style court yard also available when not so hot. Or waiter served us with an a lovely mix of being very capable with a dry humour. We had a memorable lunch and will return.

1  Thank Cheryl K