“Great scones and coffee”
Review of Cherry Tree Cafe

Cherry Tree Cafe
Ranked #10 of 59 Restaurants in Healesville
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New Cafe/Restaurant opened March 2015 Featuring fully Qualified Chef. Secret Courtyard Garden for outside Dining Alfresco dining style in Main Restaurant area Large Log Fire for Cold Weather Decore is quirky, warm and features large mural walls All Day Breakfasts, morning and afternoon teas & Lunch (6days) A La Carte Restaurant each Saturday Night Modern European/Aussie style Menu
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Stopped in Healesville on Father’s Day looking for scones and a good latte. Found both here- scones were light, fluffy, and fresh. Only negative is, as usual in Australia, the cream. Wish places would use pure cream instead of sweetened whipped cream - I would pay extra! Of course nothing compares to clotted cream but it would be better than whipped.

Petra B, Owner at Cherry Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Thank you for coming in to us and we are delighted you enjoyed our fresh scones and great coffee!

Reviewed 28 August 2018

You can get everything you would expect from a bakery and a bit more. Some interesting turkish-style breads. Always have freshly made rolls and will make to order.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

From the outside this looks like a promising place for a casual cup of coffee, but looks can be deceiving. The tables smelt of the cleaning fluid used to clean them and the coffee was undrinkable. I am sure that there a good places to stop off in Healesville but this is not one of them.

Petra B, Owner at Cherry Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Hi Malvoleo,
Thank you for your review, We proudly use Chum Creek Coffee which has won many awards for it's roasting and quality so I'm very surprised to hear that you didn't enjoy your coffee!

Reviewed 21 August 2018

My wife, her brother & his wife and I took a day trip from Melb via train & bus to Healesville. Needing lunch we found this super little cafe. Service was friendly & prompt. I had calamari & chorizo grilled with a very tasty salad and chips. Others had a corn fritter, another, pumpkin, feta & poached egg and the other smashed avocado & grilled mushrooms. Everyone enjoyed their meal and coffees. Serves were very generous.

Hi John,
Thank you for choosing to come to the Cherry Tree Café for your lunch and we hope to see you again when you are in the area.

Reviewed 22 July 2018

I visited here with my husband while staying in Healesville for our wedding anniversary a couple of weeks ago.
Cafe is nicely presented, and the menu has allergen information on clearly - which is why we went in! Please do not let that fool you.

I ordered a simple avocado on gluten free toast with a poached egg on the side, to be made dairy free too. It arrived with no egg and buttered toast. I asked the waitress if it was butter on the toast as I had specified no dairy and she said she didn't know - and went to ask the chef. She came back and took my plate away saying it was butter.
She came back after my husbands food had been served a while later with my plate - again with no egg! - AND THERE WAS BUTTER ON THE SIDE OF MY PLATE!

I have to stress here, and I hope the owners read this review, some people aren't 'fussy vego's and vegans' some people like me, have serious autoimmune diseases and some foods can literally poison us or cause us excessive pain if we eat them. If I eat dairy, my body attacks itself - so thank you for being diligent staff at the Cherry Tree Cafe. I hope you are re-trained before you hospitalise someone.

The girl who served me was only a teenager I'm guessing, and she looked very uncomfortable - I asked her to just get my egg - I was able to eat around the lump of butter on the plate, but I barely ate much. The severity of my condition kinda makes you lose your appetite when you consider the pain I'd have suffered had I not checked if the toast had butter on.

It's worth noting - the cafe wasn't even busy.....

And we paid around $57 for the privilege of this service - the girl at the till when we paid asked if the meal was okay and I said no, I have allergies and you could have made me very sick. She said sorry sheepishly and just asked for the money.
Awful experience.

There are plenty of other places to check out if you're in town.

If you don't have allergies, you'll probably find it okay. If you do, I urge you to go elsewhere unless you question the staff twice over before you eat.

Petra B, Owner at Cherry Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

Thank you kindly for your review and constructive feedback, we apologise sincerely that on this occasion we missed the mark!

Although as said we clearly have all our dishes marked with allergens on this occasion I'm sure you will understand it was merely a misunderstanding that you wished to have an egg added to your dish therefore it came out without it.

We do use NUTTELEX as a dairy free alternative to butter and that is what was put on your plate once redone.

Had it been brought to my attention on the day then I would have dealt with your concerns in a different manner and I'm sorry that this was not the case.

Once again, our sincerest apologies and we do hope that you will continue to dine with us in the future.