“Utterly incredible ”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

I had lunch in the restaurant on Saturday and the food was absolutely beautiful. However, the ever lovely and helpful Bre made my visit unbeatable, she was able to cater to my every need and had such an amazing understanding of all the food and wine available. I will definitely be recommending this restaurant as a must visit destination to all people visiting Melbourne or even locals, and I'll tell them all to ask for Bre.

Darren F, Manager at TarraWarra Estate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Thank you so much for your comments. I have shown Bre and she was delighted to have made such a difference to your experience. Thanks again and see you soon,

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Beautiful area with amazing views. However, the restaurant was somewhat pretentious and quite frankly the food was in the nouvelle cuisine category, long abandoned in Europe. Nothing wrong with trying new menus but the price was eye-watering for what I considered to be small portions of not particularly appealing food. As for the price of the wine, considering it is produced there, well simply ridiculous!

Darren F, General Manager at TarraWarra Estate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Unfortunately the food in our restaurant was not to your taste, it is modern Australian in style, making the most of our local produce. As far as your comments on our prices, they reflect the cost of high quality, sustainably sourced ingredients, and the work of our wonderful kitchen team creatively transforming them into a memorable meal. It is not possible to appeal to all palates, those seeking a unique experience are very happy at TarraWarra. As far as our wine prices, yes, they are produced here, with all the associated costs of growing grapes and making wine in a premium Australian wine region, and are actually less expensive than many other wineries in the region. Commitment to quality comes at a price. You also may not be aware that Australia has the equivalent of 41% tax on wine, it is frequently cheaper to buy our wines in the UK.

Clare Halloran

Reviewed 7 November 2017

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but had a nice experience in the Cellar Door on the morning of October 19th as part of a private tour of several Yarra Valley wineries. The underground location of the Cellar Door is truly unique and the winery grounds are beautiful. We really enjoyed our tasting, with our server recommending wines for us to try based on what we initially enjoyed. The wines are all pretty affordable. Cordial service, lovely scenery, very relaxing - we definitely recommend it.

Darren F, Manager at TarraWarra Estate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I have passed your lovely feedback to the cellar door team and hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Visited this venue with friends and family as it came recommended highly.
The winery and setting is phenomenal.
On entering the restaurant we had our table of 10 ready. With family coming in from interstate at the last minute there were an extra 2 adults and 3 children with us. On mentioning this to the waitresses they began attempting to accommodate our increased party size. However, upon observing this, the male, who i can only assume was the manager stomped over stating , " I was very clear in my communication, you'll have to have a separate table."
With most of the party working in hospitality this off the cuff comment which bordered on rude was extremely grating, as we were quite happy just to have the extra people accommodated in the restaurant.
This manager unfortunately could not back up his aloof attitude with delivery of service. It took nearly an hour for the starters to arrive, which was extremely inconvenient for the two individuals in our party that made it clear to staff that they were in a hurry.
When the mains arrived a number of dishes were cold but with no check-backs carried out by staff this was not highlighted to them.
We were then offered dessert which some people ordered, none of which ever arrived.
All in all a disappointing experience. Pleasant waiting staff that could do with some more training were trying to do their jobs serving quality food and wine but were let down by the overly controlling management that could himself do with a refresher course in hospitality.

Darren F, General Manager at TarraWarra Estate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear Wayne,
We apologise for the desserts that did not arrive, this was an error on our part.
We are a fine dining restaurant that only seats 65 guests. We are usually booked out on weekends a few weeks in advance, so an increase from 10 to 15 guests during a busy service is a challenge. Our group maximum in the restaurant is usually 8 guests, however we did compromise and allow the group to increase to 10 on this occasion. We do normally accommodate any groups larger than 8 on a set menu in our private dining room, however this was not available at the time of booking. I understand that you were upset that we could not put your whole group on one table. With other guests in the restaurant, we are disinclined to move furniture around them while they are dining. Service is managed between the restaurant and kitchen so that all guests receive a good experience. This is why we offer larger groups our private dining room as we have a separate kitchen to cover them. Our food is quite intricate with each dish requiring a lot of attention, and while our kitchen is usually very smooth, it is difficult with our menu to send out 15 dishes at one time.
Apart from the dessert, all of your issues would not have arisen had you called in advance and advised us of your changes, and your need to leave early. Staff were informed 20 minutes before some of your party needed to leave.
I understand your frustration, but having discussed this with our manager I know he would have done his best co-ordinating between the kitchen, floor staff and other guests. He is a hospitality professional who takes his job very seriously.
He also extended the 10% Cellar Club discount for one of your party to the entire group bill to apologise for our error in not receiving the desserts.
I kindly advise you to call ahead if you have changes to a booking to advise wherever you are dining, this will avoid issues in the future.
Thanks
Clare Halloran, General Manager

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Delightful setting - it is great to see that a recent update has kept and celebrated the handsome existing materials and added current pops of design infused lighting, seating and style. The ambience is definitely casual refined... relaxed and suitable so as not to distract from the beautiful surroundings (both landscape and admiration of the building!)
Great to see that a French bubbles has been added to wine list as I recalled that on previous occasion there wasn't an option like that as it heavily features wines from the block (of course).
Having said that, I went with a glass of their Rose with my main - not overly impressed with t... not unpleasant but certainly not the best. My partner grabbed a glass of Q Block Pinot which was sublime.
Service - fantastic - discrete when needed; friendly as required and helpful too - I asked a follow up question about an ingredient in my entrée and our lovely waitress promptly returned with the answer from the kitchen. Excellent - love that.
Food was delicious... entrée excellent - the tartare; my second favorite dish of the my meal. Main was lovely but small - the duck... tasty none the less but a bit on the mean side serving wise; third favourite of the meal... dessert rocked - the artichoke custard; number one at this visit... I kid you not... ARTICHOKE CUSTARD. Yummo.
Thanks for a lovely visit

Darren F, Manager at TarraWarra Estate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Lovely that you acknowledge the improvements that we have made and I have passed on your feedback to the chef. Thanks again and i hope to see you again soon.