“Best food in region but slow service”

TarraWarra Estate Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 51 Restaurants in Healesville
Price range: US$47 - US$55
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Best food in the region - we tried several but not all.
Service could have been friendlier and faster, we had tio wait 20 mins for table even though there were many empty tables and then waited an hour for first course and entre came at same time as main. Asked for ingredients for one item and they never came back to us. Was too long for kids to be sitting in one spot though. Chairs could have been more comforable. I admit we didn't have a booking but were given the worst table noisy near the kitchen and uncomfortable bench seat where feet cannot reach the floor. One person was given a more comfortable chair.

Definitely return as food was fantastic. Hope service is nicer though next time.

1  Thank MelbourniteMum
Darren F, Manager at TarraWarra Estate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed the food so much. With regards to your 20 mins wait for a table without a reservation, sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control, we do need to stagger the tables and orders into the kitchen. I don't want to make excuses as to why this may have happened but does highlight the importance of making a booking. By the sound of how long you waited for food, which is not our usual standard of service, and the lack of engagement from our staff, they may have over committed by seating you when they did and perhaps should have offered you a later table. This is something I will look into.

I am also sorry that you did not like your table. In our staff's defense, that banquette table is one of the most requested tables in the restaurant. Of course everyone is different and it's a shame that you did not enjoy it as much as others.

Great to hear though that the food was good enough to make you want to return. Please do book ahead next time and also us know that you do not want to sit at the banquette table and we will be happy to organise a better spot for you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

AFL Grand Final public holiday - decided to drive and see where we ended up for a late lunch. Drove past TarraWarra Estate and decided to try.

Restaurant was fully booked, but some diners were beginning to finish up - it was 2.30pm after all! Maitre d' was helpful, respectful, explained the menu, and then offered us a lovely table at the window.

Our waitress explained the options well, and we started with the 2 course option but were tempted onto all 3 courses in the end. Food was unusual and unusually presented. No pub food here.

Great estate wine, again suggested by our waitress after discussion. Atmosphere was busy but relaxed, nice hum of conversation but easy to talk.

Left 2 hours later, very satisfied and content.

Highlight for us was our waitress who was relaxed and friendly but not over familiar.

Highly recommend

Thank you for your lovely comments! I have passed your feedback on to the team and hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We went to Tarrawarra for a celebration lunch for our twin daughters and their wonderful husband's. We have always been impressed with Tarrawarra initially based on the art gallery and have now appreciated the restaurant. Location, scenery, landscaping, art, design are excellent!! Food and presentation in the restaurant is magnificent. The staff are engaged, aligned and very helpful. The only however is the slow delivery of meals despite our being told to be there on time and to finish on time. Great place in the world to be!

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad that you decided to try our restaurant on this visit and that you enjoyed it so much! See you again!

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

This restaurant seems to specialize in complex-layered flavoured sauces. For a starter, I had their charred octopus, which was the tender-est octopus I've ever had! Then I found out that they sou-vied the octopus. Nice! The lamb was served with a beautiful-tasting brown sauce, that looks like chocolate, but of course isn't.

I enjoyed the food, the knowledgeable & friendly service, as well as the seat next to the fireplace overlooking the vineyard. Good quality means it's not a cheap meal. But the lunch I had allowed me to have a free wine tasting at the cellar door!

Thank you for your great feedback! I have passed it on to the team, see you on your next visit!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

My daughter is being married next week, so my daughter in law organised a hens lunch for 10 at TarraWarra Estate in the Yarra Valley today. After a pleasant drive we arrived at 1 pm and began with a wine tasting at the Cellar Door. We sampled several delicious wines and decided on a white and a red to accompany our meal. The menu offered a good selection of snacks, starters, mains, sides and sweets. We decided on 3 courses and several sides. Bread was provided and the meal arrived in a timely manner with each plate beautifully presented and delicious. Everyone was pleased with their choices. My venison was tender and juicy and the roasted white chocolate dessert was a favourite with everyone. We finished with a group photo and another trip to the cellar door. What a great way to spend a Spring Sunday. The view is magnificent.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Glad that you enjoyed your visit so much - see you again soon I hope!