“Fantastic”
Review of White Lion Hotel

White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Newborough
Description: Only pub in Newborough Village, close to the beach and forest. There is a lovely large beer garden at the back of the property to relax in after a days activities. Well behaved dogs are welcome and a clean,cool, bowl of water is always available. Friendly atmosphere and good beer (so we are told). There is a dog free dining room available for non dog owners.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A proper village pub where, as the sign outside promises, you'll always have a warm and friendly welcome. Alyson and Sam are always welcoming, their beers are well-kept and the food is both reasonably-priced and with generous portions. An Anglesey gem that more people should experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Really friendly village pub very welcoming would highly recommend the food good service very dog friendly there's always fresh water and treats for the dogs nice out side seating in the garden very clean facilities and will definitely be returning for another visit so very polite lovely people

Reviewed 11 March 2018

What a 'Great Disappointment' : The " WHITE LION HOTEL" public House , Malltraeth Street, Llanfairpg, turned out to be turned out to be like "CHRISTMAS IN THE DOG HOUSE".
********************************
My friend and I visited Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, North Wales, in Summer (July) 2017 and stayed at a really first class beautiful cottage in Brynsiencyn, which over-looks the Menau Bridge and the views along the Straits at Anglesey North Wales. It was from where we did our exploring of the interesting little market towns on the island of Anglesey.

We found it to be an excellent region for tour by car and was ideal from where we were staying at our base cottage Brynsiencyn, Llanfair LL61 6NJ; BUT like many other drivers, whilst we liked to have an occasional drink of alcohol, we would not be able to drive as well . We were there for Christmas week, and with Christmas Day approaching, we wanted to find a public house that was not too far from where we were staying; and found " THE WHITE LION HOTEL " public House, not too far away on the main street, in nearby NEWBOROUGH.
It was a public house of which we had found several good reviews written about on TripAdvisor, and so chose to visit there on a couple of days over the Christmas period.

Being Christmas, and as expected , we found the pub to be open. We found ourselves walking into a very small lounge /bar with very little sitting accommodation. A few tables and chairs, with some stools near the bar at the corner of the room from where the landlady served drinks from behind. In front of the bar was a 'pool' table. In the other corner of the room and affixed to the wall was a Music Juke Box which was somewhat antique and truly operationally difficult and confusing for customers to use, or pre-select music after payment was made. via the pre pay coin slot. Inserted coins were not automatically rejected if the music chosen failed to select. More often than not, the landlord was seen to resolve the issue where the machine had failed to operate correctly, or otherwise the customer would abandon the Juke Box at his/her loss for music selected which failed to play.

Alongside the Juke Box is a door which leads to the customer toilets. The backyard and patio area which is to the rear of 'THE WHITE LION HOTEL' is closed during summer months. We found that there were no meals served/ available at the pub. The only snacks that could be seen on sale were bags of 'Potato Crisps'.

Dogs are allowed in the bar by the landlord/lady.....two dogs were in the bar on the day of our visit, and were well under control.

There were no car parking facilities available at THE WHITE LION HOTEL. ( parking spaces available on main road - opposite pub, during winter months subject to traffic regulations )

Standards of hygiene throughout the premises open to the public were visibly clean.

Plenty of signs regarding drug abuse on the premises

TAXI DRIVER SERVICE - PATHETIC !
1). Telephoned a 'Given Taxi Service Number to Phone'. 2). Ordered Taxi to arrive by given time. 3) Driver and Taxi turned up on time at the White Lion Hotel, and we got on board. 4) Taxi Driver pulls away and asks whereto ??? 5). We give Taxi Driver our 'Names and Address, including FULL destination POSTCODE. He continues driving.
6). Forty Five Minutes later, the Taxi Driver appears to be driving around in circles and does not know his way. After driving for several miles, he pulls into the side of the road and stops. He asks us for the address of where we are going to again. We give him our full address and full POSTCODE, and said " CAN'T YOU FIND THE ADDRESS ??? Taxi Driver replied, " I don't know where it is - and then asked me ...... Don't you know where it is ? I informed him that I didn't know where it was, and that is the very reason why I phoned him to take us home, and besides, haven't you got a 'SAT NAV'......?? He replied, " No, and I don't know where it is you live - I 'm not from around here."

The Taxi Driver ended up taking us both back to the 'THE WHITE LION HOTEL' in Newborough, Anglesey......WASTING HOURS OF HIS TIME AND HOURS OF OUR TIME ALSO. We had not gained an inch.

We went back into the WHITE LION HOTEL and informed the Landlady of what had happened. She informed us that the Taxi Driver who collected us from there was the only Taxi Driver that she knew of, and that she could not assist us further in knowing of any other taxi service that could get us home

2  Thank John W
Alyson P, Owner at White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Thank you for your review although a little unfair, I remember you both being here, you sat at the bar and chatted to me most of the evening, Our Jukebox is connected to the internet and therefore updated daily with the latest music. We have had it for a few years and all our other customers enjoy the wide range of music available, I remember you having trouble finding some obscure tracks which my husband willingly found for you. If tracks do not play we refund money without question. The beer garden is closed in the winter and opens from Easter to October. You asked if we served food not for that night but another night and I informed you we only serve food from Easter to October.

You asked for a taxi number which I gave you, he arrived to take you home and you thanked us for a lovely evening and said you would be returning on Christmas Day as we were open.

You arrived back at the pub at about 12.30 complaining the taxi driver brought you back because he could not find where you were staying. No one could give you a lift from the pub as everyone had been drinking.

I feel you have given us a poor review because of the experience you had with the taxi driver which was not our fault it was Christmas time and services in the country are limited. You chose to drive to the pub and to stay longer because I gave you the number of a local taxi firm.

If you check previous reviews I have taken people home on many occaisions but I had, had a Baileys and I will not drive after any alcohol

I am sorry you felt the need to give us such a poor review after so much time has passed.

Regards
Alyson Pritchard

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Such a warm welcoming pub, the landlord and landlady are amazing and hospitable..the biggest perk to this place apart from the spectacular service is Frank the pug! Adorable pup! The locals are all friendly and approachable. Can't wait to visit again

Alyson P, Owner at White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Many thanks for your lovely review we love meeting new people, who usually say they are only staying for one drink but have been known to stay all night!!! Frank is a new addition he has only been with us for 4 weeks but is proving a big hit. Boo Boo the original pub dog passed away aged 22 last year so Frank is trying to fill her paws.

Hope to see you soon.

Regards
Sam and Alyson

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

We were staying not far from the pub on a camp site.

Came in here for a drink and a warm after a rainy day

Loved it.. friendly staff, good pint, a brilliant duke box & it's dog friendly so the dog loved it too

Will be back, thanks