“Good Old Southern Chicken”

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
Ranked #5 of 1,550 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was so excited to eat some Southern Fried chicken since I was in Memphis and this place was awesome. The chicken was not drenched in breading and you could actually taste the chicken. I also tried some fried catfish and it tasted great with hot sauce and was interested in a reorder but they sold out. Their greens were tasty with bacon and turkey bits and of course, there was sweet tea but went with half and half so my teeth don't fall out. It turns out they are expanding all over the country so go on their website for the nearest location.

Will definitely go here again and looks like the closest one is in Greenbelt, MD outside DC.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,560)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place... so fantastic! The chicken is to die for. A little spicy but just enough to make it interesting. The mac and cheese and fried rice sides were recommended by the very nice lady at the hostess station and they did not disappoint! We also had sweet potato pie and pecan pie, also excellent.

We were so impressed with the service here. After a couple of less than stellar experiences in Memphis we really appreciated the prompt, friendly, fun people at Gus’s. The place was so busy between diners and sooo many carry outs but they managed it efficiently. We did have to wait for about 15 minutes for a table but it was right at noon and it was well worth it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my two grown kids and their families took my husband here for Father’s Day dinner. It was wonderful. The food is delicious and the staff is very friendly. We had two children under 3 and they were made comfortable. We’ll definitely go back. I’ve never had chicken served as heat hot and the batter and is exceptional. Not too spicy and very crunchy. Sooo good

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is the best chicken I have ever tasted.The chicken is fresh and the baked beans are great. The sweet tea is good too.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Memphis is known for more than just bbq! This fried chicken was out of this world! Mac and cheese was great, so was the slaw and baked beans.

My husband liked the fried dill pickle spears.

Our server, Nate, was on top of things and working quickly for his tables! He was excellent.

I will definitely be back if we are in Memphis again.