Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
TripadvisorUS$268
Expedia
Trip.comUS$270
Official SiteUS$268
Hotels.comUS$270
ZenHotels.comUS$274
2,222 results
All reviews champagne bar elizabeth castle victoria restaurant tassili restaurant sea view five star hotel small balcony lovely hotel sea front steam room first class main restaurant nothing is too much trouble short break walk in shower hire car busy road
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 September 2021

To be clear I have not stayed at this hotel on this occasion so I am only reviewing my experience of the outdoor front bar and balcony on tge evening of Thursday 23rd September.

My partner and I were walking back from dinner elsewhere and decided we would like a drink before we got back to our own hotel. We walked into the outdoor bar area at about 20:30 and asked if we could have a drink. There were two staff - a young lady and a young man. The lady asked us if we were staying at the hotel and when we said we were not she said they are going to close the bar early as it is raining (it was very slightly). My partner asked again if it was possible to have a drink and she said yes but they would close at 21:00. The young man behind the bar curtly, and with some attitude, told us they would have to take our drinks order quickly. There was no welcome or friendliness at all and it seemed as if we were inconveniencing them. The young lady took our order and the drink arrived promptly.

So it surprised us a lot when other people (perhaps those staying at the hotel) arrived and were welcomed more warmly (relative to our experience) and seated and they were not told the bar was closing. They were served drinks and others ordered food, and those already there were ordering drinks close to 21:00. More and more people arrived. This leads me to conclude that the bar was not closing at 21:00 due to the rain.

I can only conclude that we were treated differently because we were not staying at the hotel. As we are undoubtedly paying the same for our drinks as a guest, I expect that we are treated with courtesy. If a manager is reading this review I think you need to speak to the young lady and young man on duty that evening and impress upon them the importance of polite service and respect for all customers, especially at a hotel rated 5 stars. If they cannot even serve a drink cordially then they should be retrained or supervised better.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2021 via mobile

Had booked a break in jersey as an alternative to a foreign holiday given the current climate & Jersey, specifically St Helier, came recommended by a former resident of the island. This wasn’t our first choice of hotel but the Radisson Blu & Royal Yacht Club were both unavailable for our full duration so option 3 was the Grand. How I wish we had considered other alternatives! Even before we arrived, I experienced some of the lack of friendliness when I called the night before arriving to see if we could upgrade our room but was met with a coolish response of “sorry, we’re fully booked” & when I asked about a cancellation list, I was promised someone would look the following day & update us on our arrival but this didn’t happen & we had to question again on check in rather than have this logged on our arrival.

When we checked in, the receptionist was adequate but certainly not welcoming or overly friendly. On asking about an upgrade, she indicated she knew I’d called the day before but “there was nothing [she] could do”. We were given a letter of hotel information (more about this later) & shown to our room but via a back lift as the main one wasn’t working & was waiting for the engineer to return & fix it. The carpet & decor on this way up was dated and shabby but we thought this may have been simply a back lift - little did we know this was the general decor throughout the hotel.

Our room was a good size & had a side park/ sea view but the blind cords were loose from their fittings, the windows struggled to close properly, the carpet was marked & a bit shabby looking & the floor creaked badly right across the room. The tiny bathroom was so ‘compact & bijou’ that you had to close the bathroom door to get the shower door open but as this opened out into the bathroom (it couldn’t have opened in the way, the shower was simply too narrow) you count leave the shower mat down as the shower door pushed it away when you entered & left the shower. The shower wasn’t a strong flow at all which made washing my long hair a challenge but was hot enough. We were disappointed with the quality of room but, as we’d been very clearly told the hotel was full, we thought there was little point in returning to reception to discuss options.

Back to the room information, on checking in, the receptionist mentioned a bit of paper if we needed anything for the room but what we hadn’t appreciated and what wasn’t explained either when I called before arriving or on checking in, the rooms are only serviced at most every 2nd day due to staffing shortages so on the non-servicing days, you document your requirements which are then left outside your room. The hotel does offer a £30 refund on days the room isn’t serviced but for a supposedly 5 star hotel, this level of service is disappointing and unacceptable.

On checking the dining options, we realised the Al La Carte restaurant wasn’t open that night (Tuesday) so we called reception to book a table elsewhere only to find there was no other options. For a fully booked, 5 star (!!) hotel, not to have enough options for guests again, isn’t good enough. They offered to sit us on a “stool or small occasional chair somewhere in the champagne lounge at some point” but couldn’t give us a time - perhaps understandably, we declined & ate out instead. We asked about booking the Al la Carte restaurant later in the week only to find it booked solid for at least a week or more. The terrace wasn’t opened until Wednesday & had a private reception on Friday so that option was limited too - thank goodness for external restaurants or we’d have lost considerable weight!

Ok, we thought, let’s go with things & see how we get on with less contact with housekeeping. At least it means we may get a lie in on non-service days - oh, how wrong we were! The following morning, from before 7am, the corridor became a constant banging & slamming of doors as the housekeeper serviced different rooms at the same time, walking in & out of each room but leaving the door to slam shut behind her. We counted 4 trips into 2 adjacent rooms near ours in the space of 15-17 minutes and the resulting 8 (!!!) door slams were intolerable. Then, she felt the need to use the phone outside our room to call her colleagues repeatedly & ask how they were getting on & which rooms they had done. As we were in night clothes, we thought it best to approach reception about this once we were up & dressed but on doing so, we were met with a patronising receptionist who promptly told us that the staffing shortages were to be expected in these difficult times & that “we all need to be patient”. Again, we stated that the door slamming, coupled with the road noise outside, which was considerable, meant we weren’t getting peace & quiet & we pointed out that we had specifically requested a quiet room on booking. However, once again, she made us feel a little patronised & insignificant saying “but if you want the views, these are the rooms you need to be in” I stated we hadn’t requested a view & hadn’t booked a sea view because the quietness was more important to us but again, she finished this with a “I’ve said we’re fully booked” so that was the end of that conversation!!

The following morning, once again we were woken with the door banging fiasco but, as it was clear there was no point in approaching reception, my husband resorted to opening our room door just after 7.30am & asking the housekeeper why she was slamming every door as she went in & out of multiple room - she was obviously servicing at least 2 rooms at the same time. She did apologise but said she couldn’t do anything else as the doors didn’t close quietly so my husband requested she get maintenance to check & fix this. We never did find out if this was done. This encounter though put us off having the housekeeping staff in our room so we reluctantly declined any servicing during our stay.

That evening, TV reception problems meant there was no TV channels at all so added to the lift which still wasn’t fixed, the sub-optimal housekeeping & the faulty jacuzzi in the pool area, the standards weren’t so much slipping as cascading downhill at a rate of knots.

However, the following morning, yet another housekeeper on duty and the door slamming debacle all began again before 7am. It was my turn to open the door in nightwear & ask for some common consideration. My retort back from this ‘lady’ was wholly different though! I watched her go into the opposite room & simply leave the door to slam behind her & this was 7.23am so I waited until she came back out & asked if she could please not slam the doors behind her as we were trying to sleep. She chose to answer “thank you” sarcastically back at me & walked away so I repeated my request and asked why this seemed an unreasonable ask. At this point she walked into the room beside ours, slamming the door once again so I called after her saying “Youre obviously not even sorry that you’ve woken us with this totally needless noise” She came back out & replied “Thank you for telling me” & walked into the next room slamming the door again - conversation over once again!!

By this point, although loving the island & generally finding the Jersey people friendly & welcoming, this wasn’t our experience of this hotel. We returned the first 2 nights from our evening meals out & walked past staff who didn’t even ask how we were or if we’d had a nice day or evening - common courtesies & expected if this indeed was a 5 star establishment.

We weighed up our options. Should we complain? No. We’d tried that & were patronised and felt disrespected. Should we go elsewhere? No - other better standard hotels were fully booked & there was every possibility that staffing shortages weren’t isolated to this hotel so we could cost ourselves more money but not get a better result.

This was Friday evening & we were due to check out on Sunday so we opted for trying to get an early flight home. We managed to change our flight at no cost so decided to leave on Saturday. Having already spoken twice to reception about concerns but not getting any satisfaction, we decided that we’d simply say we had to return home unexpectedly early which was truthful but saved any further upset for us trying to debate with staff who simply seemed uninterested at best & rude at worst. The receptionist I spoke with on Friday evening was one of the few who was helpful & offered to refund our final night which we gratefully accepted.

Our final morning, Saturday, was the worst for door-gate with the first slamming waking us at exactly 5.53am!!! Leaving at 8am, we went for our 1st breakfast of the week & wished we hadn’t bothered. Adam, who was working was indifferent & his dress (crumpled trousers & short tail hanging out) matched his lackadaisical approach. There was no explanation of where anything was or even if we’d had breakfast before so we were left to fend for ourselves. However, another suited staff member (tall & large older gentleman who we thought may be a manger) accompanied other guests into breakfast, conversing warmly & jovially. Was it just us who were disliked then?? Apparently others are treated very differently so we are left wondering what we did wrong to deserve this??? Worse, this manager was at reception when we put our keys in the checkout box & didn’t ask “how was our stay, had we enjoyed ourselves or even offer a friendly goodbye, safe journey home”! No, we got a terse “thanks” & we left without any further conversation or interaction.

This was the biggest waste of money we have spent in a long time & had there been an option for zero stars, I would have happily posted that. We will return to this beautiful island but will never darken the doors of this hotel again and will avoid all ‘hand-picked’ hotels in future if this is the standard.

Avoid, avoid, avoid - this is probably only a 3 star hotel, certainly not 4 star & most definitely NOT 5 star. You get much better service, manners, facilities & surroundings in many 3 & 4 star establishments.

PS, I note the response by the hotel manager in previous reviews so for information, we tried to discuss concerns, tried to get matters rectified and tried to discuss things with staff during our stay but if you can’t get facilities fixed, rooms cleaned appropriately & enough dining options for your guests, how can you extend confidence to your guests that you’ll address concerns?

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank holidaygem215
Reviewed 19 September 2021

We were met by friendly staff who showed they were happy and enjoyed their job. I believe that this hotel has a very high degree of professionalism. Fantastic Hotel, great staff, exceptional breakfast and evening meals. Could not fault anything about this hotel, the quality of fittings is high and attention to detail runs through all areas.

Room tip: all rooms were good even rooms without a view which should not put any one off
Date of stay: September 2021
Shaun McGachan, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2021

Dear Y1948SNwilliama,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a 5/5 review following your stay with us. It was great to see your comments on breakfast and dinner and of course the team. All feedback is shared and I know they will be thrilled to see your comments.

We appreciate your feedback on the warm welcome you received and we will all be more than happy to welcome you back on your next visit to Jersey.

Reviewed 13 September 2021

My wife and I came back to Jersey 25 years after getting married and spending a few days there on a honeymoon back in 1996. The honeymoon had been a wedding gift back then because like many young couples we were counting the pennies and we literally ran out of money on our last day. On that original honeymoon we had sat outside the Grand and vowed to one day come back and stay there (we were in a hotel you would kindly describe as 'budget') when we could afford more than a shared bag of chips for dinner!
It was also my wife's 50th birthday this year so I decided to chance the Covid chaos and book a 10 night stay at the hotel we had admired from a seafront bench back on that original honeymoon.
We arrived to find on site parking, which was a huge bonus as many hotels in the area do not have any, and the staff in reception were unfailingly polite, helpful and cheerful. The hotel was clearly battling the daily nightmare of staff shortages due to a combination of Covid and Brexit, not to mention the Pingdemic, and despite this I rarely saw smiles far from their faces despite the insane hours many of them were clearly working. Quite how Anthony was still smiling at 7am after seeing him still working the previous evening at the tail end of a shift that must have stretched over 14 hours was beyond me and I am sure many others were also working similar hours!

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel incredibly welcome and nothing was too much trouble. I had emailed the hotel to look into booking flowers or champagne in the room as a surprise for my wife but due to British Airways changing our flights 3 times (the last being 72 hours before departure) I didn't arrange it as I had no idea if we would ever actually make it there!
On arriving in our room, which had an amazing view of St Aubin Bay (if you can afford it find those extra pounds to book a Seaview because as the sun rises over the castle it is breath-taking), I was shocked to see a bottle of chilled champagne, flowers, chocolates and a birthday message for my wife.....a really lovely and thoughtful touch that tearfully made my wife's day when coupled with the lovely room and view! Of course I did the decent thing and did not try to claim the credit! A lovely touch by the hotel and staff who always gave me the impression at every turn that they genuinely cared about our stay and that it was as memorable as possible.
As I have mentioned the room was very nice, an amazing view, a double shower cubicle with rainforest shower and built in air conditioning which was a must given the weather was amazing. Again a feature many of the other hotels in the area did not have and one that makes a huge difference at night. The bed was very comfortable and I couldn't fault room service who were great even when my wife suddenly announced she wanted a Jersey Grand Club Sandwich one night at 1am! The room was cleaned immaculately and I really couldn't fault the accommodation.
The Spa has excellent facilities with the only issue being the Covid restrictions making use of the facilities a little more challenging (only 2 persons in the Jacuzzi or Steam room for example) but that is an unavoidable issue for the hotel and obviously is in place to help keep people safe.
Breakfast was a riot of every conceivable option and while I rarely wandered far from traditional English fare my wife enjoyed the continental, fruit and cereals and yoghurt. The window for breakfast is also very wide as some hotels give you no more than a couple of hours to make it and eat. You will not leave hungry.
The terrace bar is one of the best features of the hotel when the weather is fine and it is hugely tempting to forgo venturing out to town given the bar food is excellent (especially the sharing platters) and the selection of cocktails wide and varied. I would especially recommend the Espresso Martini and Mirabeau Rose.
We did not get to sample the hotel restaurant which was closed until our last 2 days and due to a mix up with reservations we did not get to try it (it was recommended to us by 2 other hotel managers during our stay!). Even here the staff couldn't have been more apologetic about the mix up. They rang round and found us an alternative restaurant with a similar food style and also sent up a complimentary bottle of Champagne to apologise.

I would never stay anywhere else on Jersey having now sampled the Grand's hospitality and they played a huge part in making our return to the island incredibly special and memorable. The efforts they made to keep that swan sailing serenely on while the legs must have been paddling at 300 mph to keep the place moving was a credit to them all and we loved every minute.
Thank you and we will definitely be back!

2  Thank TheHolps
Shaun McGachan, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2021

Dear TheHolps,

Wow! What a review.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share such detail regarding your experience and I am really proud that the team have helped deliver such a great stay with us. It is through reviews like yours that make what we do every day worthwhile.

We do share all feedback with the team and I know they will be equally as pleased to read your comments.

From all of us keeping the swan sailing, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future and again - thank you.

Reviewed 11 September 2021

We have just returned from a very enjoyable seven night stay at the Grand.We had a spacious deluxe double room (317) with ocean view at the front of the hotel overlooking St Aubin's bay and the Elizabeth castle.It was an ideal location and only ten minutes walk to the lovely shopping area.Our room was nicely decorated and had everything we required.
The hospitality industry on the island is suffering from a severe shortage of staff and is operating on about 20 percent staffing levels.However, despite many staff working around 100 hours per week to help cover the shortfall the service provided is still generally excellent.The staff try very hard to please and maintain a positive outlook.
Unfortunately the stand out restaurant the Tassili was closed during our stay but we had been pre-notified.The Victoria restaurant was also closed due to staffing issues, so we ate in the Champagne Lounge with the a la cart menu being generally available.However, the food served was delicious and the table service acceptable under the circumstances.The creme brulee was outstanding.A special mention to Emily and Peter who looked after us.
We also enjoyed the breakfasts which were self service.There was a good selection of
hot and cold food and the hot dishes were replenished regularly to maintain the quality.The bacon and sausage were some of the best we have eaten compared to similar hotels.
It was our first visit to Jersey which is a beautiful island and we would certainly like to return when we would have no hesitation in staying again at the Grand.

Room tip: A sea view is definitely worth it.

Dear Delboy5822,

Thank you for leaving such a great review following your recent stay with us. It certainly sounds like you enjoyed your time in Jersey and glad to see you would like to return to our stunning island and of course the hotel.

The team really are working tirelessly and do a fantastic job trying to make all stays enjoyable. Whilst it may seem like the team are always here and we are indeed short of team members, I could not possibly look them in the eye if we were asking them to work anywhere close to 100 hours.

We do share all feedback with the team and I know Peter and Emi will be thrilled to see a personal mention as well as the breakfast teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another great stay and thank you again for your review.