“Excellent Evening of an Irish Experience”

Biddy's Cottage Dalkey
Ranked #4 of 15 things to do in Dalkey
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 31 July 2018

My wife, my 13 year old daughter and I had a wonderful time at Biddy's Cottage. Her warm welcome and stories of her life and of Dalkey were enchanting. The experience makes you feel like you're visiting a long lost Irish relative. The tea and the oatcakes are just the "icing on the cake" (if you'll pardon the pun). Biddy even had a couple of her friends join us from the local area and they all gave us great advice concerning the rest of our stay in Ireland. One of her friends even sang a sea shanty in Gaelic for us at the end. If you want a truly memorable experience, this is it! Just be careful about how and where you park. Also, if you use your GPS to find the cottage, most list her address as Glenageary and not Dalkey.

2  Thank swdaly1098
in 4 reviews
"appreciation"
"humour"

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I brought my grandchildren here last summer and they still talk about it. Lovely, cosy and really interesting. Reminded me of growing up in rural Kerry when life was simpler!!

2  Thank KerryTrooper
Reviewed 1 June 2017

well worth the experience of story telling and Irish banter, Biddy will welcome you in her beautiful and quaint cottage with a typical warm Irish welcome. you will not forget it!

2  Thank Elisabeth L
Reviewed 7 May 2017

An excellent couple of hours in the company of Biddy, very ably assisted by Jonny, and her other guests. Biddy demonstrates the "dying art" of storytelling with grace, charm and humour and challenges us to focus on traditional values and lifestyle among the challenges of modern society. Cookery, history and life values ooze from this lovely lady and leave you wanting to hear more of what she chooses to leave unsaid. Thanks.

1  Thank Peter F
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 April 2017

We had a wonderful evening in Biddy's cottage last night. I brought my parents, ((my dad is 96) and they were charmed by Biddy who was so warm and welcoming. They loved seeing Biddy's cottage and how authentically preserved it was with the 'settle bed' and the open turf fire with the old utensils for cooking and baking. It was really enjoyable and it's great that Biddy is keeping this old Irish tradition of storytelling alive. She is a natural storyteller and has a way of bringing the stories to life in her own unique and witty way.. I would recommend this for a group of friends or a family to give the children an appreciation of life in Ireland in the time of their grandparents.

1  Thank nessafarrelly1