Review Highlights
The best travel experience I have had in 5 trips to Ireland, or anywhere!

So many travel experiences today are impersonal and commercialized. Story Telling at Biddy's... read more

Reviewed 11 December 2018
Constance K
Pasadena, California
Excellent Evening of an Irish Experience

My wife, my 13 year old daughter and I had a wonderful time at Biddy's Cottage. Her warm welcome... read more

Reviewed 31 July 2018
swdaly1098
West Hartford, Connecticut

Recommended experiences in and around Dalkey
from US$56.47
from US$70.30
from US$40.34
More Info
All reviews oatcakes story telling irish experience irish culture stories journalist ireland book
Reviewed 7 April 2017

We had a wonderful evening in Biddy's cottage last night. I brought my parents, ((my dad is 96) and they were charmed by Biddy who was so warm and welcoming. They loved seeing Biddy's cottage and how authentically preserved it was with the 'settle bed' and the open turf fire with the old utensils for cooking and baking. It was really enjoyable and it's great that Biddy is keeping this old Irish tradition of storytelling alive. She is a natural storyteller and has a way of bringing the stories to life in her own unique and witty way.. I would recommend this for a group of friends or a family to give the children an appreciation of life in Ireland in the time of their grandparents.

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank nessafarrelly1
Reviewed 7 April 2017

This was an extremely enjoyable, unusual, relaxed evening. Biddy is such a nice person, very entertaining and charismatic. We were with four people we never met and while it could have been awkward it wasn't, we were all sitting around the fire, chatting and being entertained by interesting and funny stories from Biddy. We were given prosecco with homemade elderflower syrup to start and then tea and oatcake biscuits. The setting is lovely, a real feel of Ireland of old which was the theme of the entire evening. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank concongen
Reviewed 25 September 2016

After reading about Biddy's Cottage in Lonely Planet (fall issue), we contacted Brigid and arranged to visit her on Wednesday. Dalkey (the l is silent) is a very beautiful village on the south coast of Dublin Bay. Brigid met us at her cottage (Rockbrook Cottage) and prepared tea and biscuits. We had a very pleasant chat but had to cut the visit short as she was ill with bronchitis and was having difficulty speaking.
Brigid is an accomplished storyteller and we would recommend visiting her to share her stories of days gone by in Ireland.
It is essential to call ahead to book her time.

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank Jan F
Reviewed 13 September 2016

We had a delightfully warm and hilarious evening with Biddy! Not knowing what to expect, we arrived at the cottage and knocked on the bright red door and were immediately welcomed by Biddy herself. As we entered we found the warmest, quaint cottage you can imagine. The folkart decorated the walls with each painting depicting a particular story. Her wit and humor was endless not to mention the delightful Prosecco, homemade Oatcakes and tea she so graciously served us. The stories and laughter filled the cottage the duration of our 2 hour visit. It was my 84 year old Aunt, who I am visiting Ireland with, that wanted to attend. We were so very greatful she did as it quickly became a true highlight of our trip. An absolute 'must do' if you get to the delightful town of Dalkey. Thank you Biddy.....you are a true delight and an exceptional storyteller.

Date of experience: September 2016
2  Thank Shirley W
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Friendly welome and interesting stories. great oatcakes and tea. Very different. Loved the turf fire.

Date of experience: August 2016