“A brief and very pleasant visit with Brigid”

Biddy's Cottage Dalkey
Ranked #4 of 15 things to do in Dalkey
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 25 September 2016

After reading about Biddy's Cottage in Lonely Planet (fall issue), we contacted Brigid and arranged to visit her on Wednesday. Dalkey (the l is silent) is a very beautiful village on the south coast of Dublin Bay. Brigid met us at her cottage (Rockbrook Cottage) and prepared tea and biscuits. We had a very pleasant chat but had to cut the visit short as she was ill with bronchitis and was having difficulty speaking.
Brigid is an accomplished storyteller and we would recommend visiting her to share her stories of days gone by in Ireland.
It is essential to call ahead to book her time.

1  Thank Jan F
in 4 reviews
"appreciation"
"humour"

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We had a delightfully warm and hilarious evening with Biddy! Not knowing what to expect, we arrived at the cottage and knocked on the bright red door and were immediately welcomed by Biddy herself. As we entered we found the warmest, quaint cottage you can imagine. The folkart decorated the walls with each painting depicting a particular story. Her wit and humor was endless not to mention the delightful Prosecco, homemade Oatcakes and tea she so graciously served us. The stories and laughter filled the cottage the duration of our 2 hour visit. It was my 84 year old Aunt, who I am visiting Ireland with, that wanted to attend. We were so very greatful she did as it quickly became a true highlight of our trip. An absolute 'must do' if you get to the delightful town of Dalkey. Thank you Biddy.....you are a true delight and an exceptional storyteller.

1  Thank Shirley W
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Friendly welome and interesting stories. great oatcakes and tea. Very different. Loved the turf fire.

1  Thank MargAnneL
Reviewed 5 August 2016

We live locally and brought our family (early 70s) with us to Biddy's Cottage for an evening of storytelling, Prosecco, oatcakes, and otherwise good craic! I wasn't sure what to expect, and I hesitated to have my husband and my MIL's husband come, as I thought it might be too "girlie" for them. It ended up being one of the most favorite things that they did while they were in Ireland, including my MIL's husband. His quote: "I would hate to think I had missed that!" They mentioned several times how much they enjoyed it. There were a couple of other ladies there and we thoroughly enjoyed their company, as well. Only older or more mature kids would appreciate it (depending on the child). A truly authentic Irish experience. Biddy had us engaged, learning, and especially laughing, and her hospitality was unmatched. What a lovely, inspiring, warm person she is. It was worth every cent. I can not recommend it enough. (I hope I can come back and add a photo, but my pictures are on my phone and this is my laptop.)

3  Thank amyandthomas