All reviews restaurant attached an older property place to stay hot tub room was clean trolley stops downtown area trolley service in town motel casino accommodations
Reviewed 25 August 2018

This is an older property which could use some updating. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, but the internet service was poor. There is no complimentary breakfast at this hotel, but there is a restaurant attached. We had breakfast there both mornings and the food was good. Nobody offered us a 25% discount on breakfast at the restaurant as I see other reviewers have posted. I don't need a lot of frills and it was okay for the two nights we were there, but if I ever went back I think I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: This property is 2 stories and I don't believe there is an elevator. If you have a handicap, ask for the first floor
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deb H
Rayann_FDM, Front Desk Agent at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2018

Thank you for reviewing our property. We are taking steps to upgrade our internet service to provide a better experience for our guests. I apologize that you did not receive your breakfast coupons. It is something new that we just started and I am still working with my staff to remember to hand them out. We hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

The best western in Deadwood has a very nice room with lots of space. The kings bad is very comfertable and has lots of space. The lightning in room is not very good. There is no breakfast in the hotel but a discount in a restaurant.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Rayann_FDM, Front desk agent at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2018

Thank you for the kind words. We are so happy you had a great stay with us and we hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

The staff were great but it wasn't one of my favorite places. There was to much smoking in the area outside our room. People talking until wee hours of the morning outside our door. Best Western usually has free breakfast but this place only gave a 25% discount because there was a restaurant connected to it. Not much to do in Deadwood. We stayed here thinking it was a central location for our plans to visit Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Reptile Gardens and Custer Park but should have gone further south.
Hand to hold toilet handle down to flush and the shower was very very low pressure. This is an older hotel that needs some upgrading

Room Tip: if you stay get second floor room. There is no elevator to second floor
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Shannon K, Front Desk Manager at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Thank you for reviewing our property. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations, but we very much appreciate your feedback. We are taking steps to ensure all of our guests have an enjoyable experience at our property.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

I would love to give this hotel 4 stars because I slept well and they were helpful but there were just too many issues I had to deal with while staying there. All were handled quickly, efficiently and with many apologies, only problem I would rather not have needed any apologies. It started when I tried to book a room. I was told it was booked but I never received a confirmation email. I waited a day or two and called back only to find out nothing was booked. That was corrected with multiple apologies. When we arrived and checked in. The room given to us was a smoking room even though I had requested a non-smoking room. The room was so bad it burned my eyes and nostrils just opening the door, I never set foot inside. I returned to the front desk and they graciously changed my room with many apologies. Next came our new room. There was an issue with the towels in the room. When I called the front desk, again many apologies and even more when they came to exchange the towels. Lets see we're up to 3 separate issues which needed apologies but we're not done yet. Next morning we're eating in the restaurant and realize others have discount vouchers for breakfast. After asking we were told they were in the envelope when you checked in. We got the envelope but didn't get any vouchers so back to the front desk and again multiple apologies. The room itself was nice, beds comfortable. The noise from the road can be loud at times so you might want ear plugs. The shower leaves a bit to be desired but it was functional. The toilet worked great if you remembered to hold down the handle for a while. Would I stay here again? Probably each issue was taken care of to my satisfaction. The quirkiness of the shower and toilet were just slight annoyances.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Rayann_FDM, front desk agent at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are taking steps to rectify the issues you experienced while staying with us. Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you back again with us soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2018

Stayed here for 2 nights while in the area. Deadwood is not really centrally located for most sites but suited our travels. Rooms were ok, no fridge so bring a cooler. Ice available in 2 locations and also can buy larger quantities if needed. A bit of a walk into town ( 10 - 15min ) but their is also a trolley that runs often that will take you around and into town ( $1 per person per ride ). During our stay they had a 3 wheeler / trike rally and was neat to see all the motorcycles and the friendly participants.
Both day and night staff were very friendly and helpful with directions, suggestions and when the coffee maker didn't work 1 morning Jesus had a replacement and helped right away although they do have coffee in the lobby.
No breakfast included here but on site restaurant ( BW gives 25% discount coupon per person per night stay ). Would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Hotel has 2 floors but no elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Rayann_FDM, front desk agent at Best Western Hickok House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

We are so happy you had a great time in the Black Hills. This area is so unique and the people are fantastic. We hope to see you back again soon.