“Fun, but expensive”

Woody's Wild West, Inc
Ranked #10 of 13 Fun & Games in Deadwood
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Woody's Wild West Photography is an award winning studio that has been providing fun and quality photography in the Black Hills for over 30 years. We create Old Time Portraits, Senior Photos, Engagements, Family Photos, Weddings, etc. We can also bring our Old Time Photos to you with our traveling studio. Stop by our studio and let one of our longtime loyal staff members give you great photo experience to be remembered. We are open year round!
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I have always wanted to do this and had read that this place had many design sets and costumes. When we got there it wasn't too busy. We walked through and picked our set. Then someone helped us get costumes. The lady was very friendly and good with my boys. The photographer took many shots of family, kids and couple. It was hard to choose which photos to get. It is expensive, but you are paying for the novelty and my boys had fun dressing up as gangsters.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

The pricing was very very misleading and not posted. We ended up paying probably twice as much as we thought we were going to based on website prices and the staff was very disorganized. They could use some customer service training and professionalism training for sure. We liked our photos thank goodness since the experience was confusing, pushy, and rushed.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I've wanted to do this with my family for a couple of years and visiting the wild west seemed like the perfect souvenir for me. It took some convincing, but I got my family in costumes and posed for an old time photo.

They took 4 shots and offered more. It was not busy at all when we were there - 7:00pm or so on a Monday night.

We selected our backdrop and a lady provided us with dresses, but was willing to change when my daughter hated the style of hers. It was quick and easy.

Our picture was ready in less than an hour and we picked it up no problem

$50 for sitting and 11X14 is steep to me when they are set up to run folks through so fast. Prints were much more expensive in the shop than on the reprint brochure that they gave us with our shot so I'm glad I didn't buy a whole bunch while we were there.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I never saw any pricing in writing. They tell you a price verbally when you walk in.That was the first bad first sign. Then I had a 15 percent coupon to use off my entire purchase, which a lady kept telling me a special they had going on for $48 a photo was much cheaper than using the coupon, but she could not explain the math. She let me use the coupon only toward the $30 frame instead of the entire $82 purchase for the photo and frame. But the saddest part of the whole affair is my photo is note even usable. After my daughter and I spent half the day waiting in line, changing clothes and posing for photos, then waiting two more hours to get the photo..... They wrapped it for transport on the airplane when I picked it up because we had to leave to catch our flight. So when I got it home and opened the photo and frame, I found a huge white blotch on my face.So now I'm several states away and out $82 for a framed photo I can't even use because it has a white blotch in the middle of it and looks terrible. Does this place not have any quality control? Or ethics? Why would you print an unusable photo, send it out the door and take people's money? Avoid this place like the plague!

Reviewed 24 May 2017

The Old West photo experience is a lot of fun -we have actually done it three times, twice just my husband and I, and once with all of our children. It's great to pick out a fun costume to wear, and they have a large selection. It's definitely worth doing.
I would say the price is on the reasonable to slightly-high side, but worth the price, unless you buckle under the high-pressure sales tactics that come after the session. The staff will try to up-sell you hard-core after your session, so be prepared so you don't end up spending more than you meant to.
In the summer particularly, they are very busy and they really rush you, which can spoil the experience a bit.
All that said though, we've gone three times -so obviously it's a good time :)