All reviewsfantastic visitgreat spot for breakfastprivate parkingold buildingdowntown attractionswooden nickelcharming hotelcomfy beddinghuge windowsdouble bedother guestswithin walking distancecorner suiteweek staywild bill daysthe main streetold west
Reviewed 3 November 2017

We stayed at this hotel in August for 2 nights whilst on a Road Trip, it was in a great location for the Main Street where there are many restaurants, shops and bars. All the staff were friendly and helpful, the only down point I would have is our room was very SMALL but it was very clean so we didn't ask to be moved to a larger room. Would definitely recommend this hotel whilst visiting Deadwood but would probably ask for a larger room when booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Thank you for your nice review, and for being our guest. Yes, our hotel offers rooms of varying sizes due to the historic nature of our building. She was constructed in 1898 as a supply store for horses, then re-purposed to its present hotel configuration in the 1990's. Our small rooms feature one full sized bed and are designed for younger travelers and those on a tight budget. We can often move a guest to a larger room if the one assigned in not adequate. I will pass along your compliments to our staff, they strive to be friendly and helpful as you described. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed 26 October 2017

We only stayed at this hotel for one night on our way out west. I often book historic or boutique hotels so I try to be forgiving of little glitches but this hotel made us a little nervous. The room was very small and was decorated like a bordello. I guess that was supposed to be part of the charm but it really appeared like it had not been updated since it's bordello days. I think that if we were staying longer than one night, we probably would have moved to a different place simply because the environment of this place had made us feel uneasy. I mentioned to my husband that I needed to check the rating of the hotel to see why I picked it. I was shocked to see that it had a 4+ rating and Certificate of Excellence. I'm not sure how places are awarded the Certificate of Excellency, but this place should be revisited.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Thank you for your review, and for being our guest. Completed in 1898, our small hotel features rooms that vary in size due to it's historic nature. Had we known of your trouble with the size of your room, we would have done everything possible to move you to a larger one. Most of our guests appreciate that we saved most of the Victorian features of our building during the renovation, and I am sorry that you did not like the decor. We may disappoint those looking for that "Holiday Inn Experience," we are not that. We try every day to offer our guests a clean and comfortable historic room with good customer service. I wish you well on your travels!

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for a modern cookie cutter experiencce this hotel is not for you. The Iron Horse Inn is unique and personal. Within walking distance of all Deadwood attractions, bars, casinos and restaurants. The bed and pillows were super comfy and we even took a nap one afternoon. There is a fun black jack game where a whole group of people can play. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Would highly recommend this hotel for a quiet personal and unique experience.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Thank you for your kind words, and for being our guest. I am glad that you found your room to be comfortable, and I will pass along your compliments to our staff. I am sorry that I was unable to meet with you personally this trip, but was happy that you and my wife found time to visit. I look forward to seeing you and your family next summer. Please pay us another visit soon.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

We enjoyed our stay here on 10/14 and 10/15. Was quiet and relaxing. The building is actually 4 entities in 1 and we were on the Iron Horse side. We had room 201. It's a large King and corner room. It is on the street side so you do here some traffic on the roads, but not too bad. The casino areas were all NON SMOKING and there was a smoking lounge around the side of the Iron Horse casino. In fact the only place we walked into that was filled with carcinogens and other toxic smoke was on Main Street at the oyster place. We got 3 steps in and turned around.

Met Cynthia and Mike (owners), Tammy (she will keep you entertained); and the rest of the staff. Ended up being like family and sat around a table with them on our last night. Had lots of fun. We will definitely stay there again.

Cynthia and Mike, thank you for a great time and ALL the laughs...

Room Tip: Corner rooms on 2nd or 3rd floor.. Ours was 201 with a large King and very spacious room
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Thank you for your nice review, and for being our guest. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay after we worked through a difficulty at check-in! As a small family owned business, it is important to us to try to get to know our guests. I am glad that we made you feel comfortable and "at home." As my father used to say, nobody leaves here "a stranger!" Interacting with our guests is one of the best things about operating this 19 room historic hotel. We hope to see you again soon, and we will sit around that table and have some more laughs.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

On a trip across country we stopped once again in Deadwood, SD. This time we stayed at the Iron Horse Inn. It is a very old building. The rooms are small but functional. Think hotels in NYC. There is an elevator OR you can take the stairs. The decor is very cool old west style/brothel. The staff was wonderful and we had no issues. Would definately stay again.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank kpstutu
Michael T, Owner at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thank you for your kind words, and for being our guest. Our rooms do vary in size due to the historic nature of our building constructed in 1898. While we have no "standard" room size, we take pride in having a historic room that will fit everyones taste and budget. I will pass along your compliments to our staff, they work hard in an attempt to make your stay a comfortable one. We hope to see you again soon!