All reviews antique shop freight elevator antique elevator indian taco full kitchen old fashion old building separate bedrooms cookie cutter old west chain hotels step back in time main street comfortable rooms close to downtown slot machines mary
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Loved it had a suite for 6 rm 305 I believe, it was a great room like an apartment, close to town will stay again. The elevator is cool kids loved it all original. Would love to know a little more history about the building Im sure its as haunted as the rest of Deadwood.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Mary L, Owner at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Thanks for the great review! There is more information about our buildings on our website. (http://www.deadwooddicks.com) Haunted? Hmmmm ... do you have a tale to tell? ;)

Reviewed 30 June 2017

This hotel's location is excellent with free parking. You are located downtown Deadwood and are within walking distance of everything. The elevator? Oh my! Now that is an experience! My son and I had not just a few good laughs over our rides in the elevator. The rooms are large and contain a full kitchen. Our rooms were clean but noticed there was a need for updating and repairs. Our linoleum in the kitchen was broken and cracked in several places and the general condition of the counters and cabinets in the kitchen had seen better days. But truly, this hotel is charming and so much fun. We even had to cross a roof, after riding in that crazy-fun elevator, to get to our room! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Mary L, Owner at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable Deadwood Dick's Experience! Our aim is to provide our guests with a comfortable place to stay while they enjoy Deadwood and the surrounding area. Thank you for mentioning the items that need attention. They have been placed on our to-do list. We look forward to hosting your next visit!

Reviewed 21 June 2017

we stopped in or a quick bite and it was quite good. my tuna wrap was good, the slaw was really good. hubby's club on ciabatta was very good. staff was friendly and quick. the shop is quite interesting - lots of antiques and knick knacks to look at.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Mary L, Owner at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Thank you for the lovely review! We're so pleased that you found that your food was good and that our staff was friendly and quick. Our shop is an interesting experience with much to look at/purchase. We also have hotel rooms on our upper floors! Stop in next time you're in town.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

This Hotel has character. Please don't be fooled by any "Bad" Reviews. Yes it is an old Elevator, but that gives it Character. The rooms were large enough for 2 people and the beds were wonderful. Bathrooms where fine for what you do in a bathroom.
Parking is a little tight, but any given tourist area is going to be the same. First come first serve. Rooms have very large windows with views. Yes you come through a side door and No there is no Breakfast or Lobby-but have we become so spoiled we HAVE to Have those things? No. This is the place I will stay again & again. They were very accomendating at our needs. We had to leave a day earlier then we expected and Mary didn't have a problem with it. She and her employee were very nice to talk to. Explained everything including the old fashioned keys to the room. Please don't be fooled by a bad review. This building has charm and they keep it up.

Room Tip: Rooms have wonderful beds and huge bathrooms.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Mary L, Owner at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Thank you for your lovely comments! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you intend to choose Deadwood Dick's Lodging for future visits. We do strive to provide a pleasant place for all of our guests, and appreciate your kind words about our staff. Thanks again!

Reviewed 10 June 2017

When looking for a place to stay in Deadwood. I did my research. I read all the reviews here and thought about what experience we wanted in this old historic town. I knew the hotel was not going to be modern, but I was not prepared for the lack of services and cleanliness. First off, our room smelled horrible...like animal urine, although it was a non-pet room. We had one day where the only thing cleaned was a made bed. The towels had strings hanging from them and smelled like mildew. The toilet was never cleaned over the 5 days. The hallways are not vacuumed, dirty, fake plants all in lobby, and the back stairwell led to a room that was filled with junk and garbage. We literally had to push a box out of the way to get out the first day. I complained once after our room was not cleaned the second day and there was an acknowledgment of a problem with housekeeping. An effort was made to improve, but not enough. I felt it was futile to keep complaining after I had seen the conditions around the entire place. It was truly unbelievable to me how awful it really was. We thought of asking for a refund and leaving early, but noticed on the bad reviews that never went well. Even disappointed, we kind of felt bad for the place and wanted to patronize them so we went and tried their "mexican" restaurant for lunch. The grilled ham and cheese was a bun with one slice of deli ham and fake, packaged cheese warmed in the microwave. Processed cheese is not "cheddar" by the way. The nachos were stale and had fake cheese again. It was truly such terrible food. The waitress actually told us when we ordered that, "We are trying to get rid of the fish, so we don't have shrimp tacos...only fish tacos." Seriously? We were not going to risk food poisoning. All in all, I want people to know what they are getting into. I noticed the building is for sale. Maybe they don't care anymore, or just got overwhelmed. Either way, I hope that the owners can sell and retire nicely. They were kind. I wish them well. I just can't recommend this to anyone after our days there recently. I really dislike to write bad reviews, but I wish I had seen one like this before choosing this hotel. When someone pays almost $140 a night for a hotel, cleaniness should be a given even when a building is very old.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sharontony605
Mary L, Owner at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

You don't need to feel bad for this place. Sorry you had a bad experience here.