All reviews ghost tour historic hotel main street tv series fudge slot machines modern conveniences old west off season corner room antique furniture casino downstairs hotel parking old building jacuzzi tub step back in time stayed one night
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

This is an updated old building that keeps it's old charm. Could things be more modern, yes, but if that is what you want, stay at one of the new hotel brands. Old building, old fixtures, great wood work, we love the charm. If I were to make one recommendation, raise the shower heads. As a tall person, washing can be a challenge.

Yes the heating and cooling may need some updating, but we were comfortable.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ron H
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We were looking forward to our stay at the Bullock. We had chosen it after reading the website. We were disappointed.
The lobby is devoted to gambling. The room itself needs to be rehabbed. The television did not work, and maintenance was unable to fix it. The light bulb on the lamp between the beds was hanging out. When we tried to screw it in, we noted the switch was missing. The lamp did not work. The lamp shade was torn. When we opened the blinds, the window was dirty. All in all, a big disappointment considering the price.
When we asked for a receipt showing the price when we checked out, we were told that the hotel could not do that. They did not know the price of the room. We had to rely on the receipt we received when the reservation was made.
Hopefully management will address the issues for the next guest.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank Dianne W
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

So my family and I decided to go on a much needed mini family vacation. It’s almost Halloween time and we happened to catch a two episode Ghost Hunters on Deadwood, SD. Well, it’s only six hours away so why not...
We stayed one night at the Bullock. After seeing the show and reading up on it a bit I was afraid if I agreed to more than one night then I wouldn’t sleep much.
Big mistake.
There’s definitely some paranormal going on there but I felt nothing evil. I slept well and had amazing experiences.
I’m only giving it 4 stars bc I’m just being honest. Nothing is perfect.
The restaurant wasn’t open the morning we were there which made me very sad... however the lady at the front desk was super awesome and not only recommended a place but called to make sure they were open and serving. That’s above and beyond. She wasn’t the only one! Every staff member I came in contact with, save for one nasty woman, was amazing and friendly as well as helpful.
The rooms were rustic but clean. The bathroom could have used a grout scrub but it’s all good.
No fridge or microwave, which is fine... complimentary waters and a nice sized room. My only complaint is the bed. It was just a spring mattress. Couldn’t be helped. Lol
The hotel itself is pretty and feels like history. I didn’t gamble but I saw others enjoying the machines.
We went on a ghost tour in the hotel (I think it was outsourced, though) and it was okay. It gave us access to some history I wasn’t aware of and the basement where I was able to take pictures.
For you paranormal seekers... we stayed in room 313. It had plenty of activity. We got video and pictures throughout the hotel and audio in our room! Great fun!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2017

The hotel is an old hotel in downtown Deadwood, which made it a good location. It's a cool building, but the rooms needs some TLC. The remote/T.V. didn't work, the sink was clogged, one of the lamps above the bed was broken, the phone was really grungy and didn't have a cord and the heat didn't work. The desk clerk's excuse was "it's an old building" but not sure what that has to do with the t.v., phone, lamp and sink. We asked why the phone was even there if it didn't have a cord. She stated the cord had been stolen the week before. Is there nowhere to buy a telephone cord in Deadwood? Other than the great location and it being a historical building, not sure I'd recommend staying there.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. Check to see if they've turned on the heat for the winter.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank Kerry Q
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Love old hotels and this one has great charm. Room was large and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Ghost tour was great fun. Parking is close...confusing but close.
The internet is horrible. I had a stronger signal coming from a neighboring hotel than from the Bullock. Cable is equally bad. Signal shut down several times during a half hour show (which I was only watching because I could not get wifi!!).
I stay in historic hotels regularly and understand that modern technology can be a challenge. But this was by far the worst internet and cable service I have ever experienced. I understand "it's an old building", but if I can get a signal from a neighboring building but not this one...? I came to the Bullock straight from a stay at The Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, WY. A late 1800s, early 1900s hotel. It was charming AND had very fast internet and decent cable through their old walls.
Also, it seems the bar has no cable, so if one person wants to watch the game while the other gambles...a casino down the street may be a better option.
Love the history of the hotel and the good people working there. Management needs to spring for upgrades to the electronic services.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo