“Boring”

Captain John's Seafood Grille
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We specialize in New England style seafood, from creamy clam chowder to haddock and scallops. Our menu offers Daily Specials such as Homemade Lump Crab Cakes, Salmon Croquettes, and 1/2 off bottles of wine on Thursday. We have the freshest seafood on the Grand Strand. That's right we said fresh. Our seafood is so fresh we don't own a freezer. In addition, we offer Ipswich whole belly clams, poultry, and center cut steaks entrees. Save room for our decadent desserts!
Reviewed 28 August 2022

We had dinner here, food is ok, just not a lot of flavor or imagination. Salad was not well thought out, served on a plate with big chunks of lettuce, a few sliced tomatoes, cubes and a lump of shredded carrots. Dressing unremarkable.

Date of visit: August 2022
Write a reviewReviews (393)

Reviewed 23 August 2022 via mobile

Was super excited to try, especially the NE chowder since they appear to specialize in NE seafood. The chowder was grossly under seasoned (s/p), there were 2 inch hunks of gummy bacon, and little clam flavor. It also included quite a bit of oregano, which is not standard NE chowder and personally not my jam. Husbands fried shrimp were ok, and I’d say the same of the fried scallops, though the tarter sauce was quite tasty. They were out of whole belly clams but that wasn’t surprising having read the reviews. We did take out but that service was good.

Date of visit: August 2022
Reviewed 17 June 2022

This is a small local place. It took about 30 minutes to be seated and it was so worth the wait. I had the grilled seafood platter. It had scallops, shrimp and, a first for me, haddock. Haddock seems to be the specialty of this restaurant. It was all delicious. I ate every bite of the seafood and it was delicious. My daughter got the fried shrimp and loved it. I don’t even remember what my husband got, his plate was clean so fast. The service was friendly and good. This is the type of place where locals come in and sit at the bar and don’t even have to order. The servers just know. We throughly go enjoyed this experience.

Date of visit: June 2022
2  Thank 727monicae
Reviewed 18 May 2022 via mobile

Looking for great flavorful seafood? Get a table here! I stopped in twice during a week of great golfing. Haddock fried was highly recommended. I don’t care for fried food if I can get it grilled, sautéed, etc. But make no mistake - the haddock arrived and I almost told the waiter that I asked for fried fish. Until I put my fork in it. Wow! Incredible. I also had grilled shrimp and they were very good.
The next visit I ordered the fried haddock and grilled scallops. I love scallops and these were plump, grilled perfectly, tender and flavorful.
Should have not tried other restaurants and just eaten here every night. Now I know. Can’t wait to return to the area.

Date of visit: May 2022
1  Thank IndySig
Reviewed 2 May 2022

Craving fried oysters led me to Captain John's Seafood Grille while we were on Pawley Island. The oysters were huge and cooked perfectly. Service was great. No complaints and would definitely return. I think they were a bit pricey but they sure were good.

Date of visit: April 2022