“Golfing in Myrtle Beach”
Review of Pop Pop's Pit BBQ

Pop Pop's Pit BBQ
Ranked #2 of 957 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Description: We cook the best BBQ at the beach! If you are on vacation, read our reviews and give "the little BBQ restaurant that could" a shot!
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Pop Pop's Pit was a wonderful place to dine. It is off the beaten the path but it is definitely worth the trip. We arrived late to Pop Pop's Pit, around 8:30PM, (the restaurant closes at 9PM) but Joe, the owner welcomed us with open arms. He made us feel welcomed and that started our pleasurable experience. This was our first time in South Carolina and we wanted to try some BBQ. We prefer local establishments and that is exactly what Pop Pop's Pit was. We asked what he recommended and he did not hesitate to say his bbq brisket was among the best in the U.S.. All of us were a bit skeptical until we tasted the brisket. The brisket literally melt in our mouths. The sauce was not over powering, but it was perfect for the brisket. A little sweet and a little tangy.
The championship Mac and Cheese is also a must try. Another customer said 'it made her eyes roll to the back of her head'. I must admit it was pretty awesome as was the bbq pork ribs.
I would definitely recommend the trip to Pop Pop's Pit. I would definitely go back if I had the chance.

1  Thank kingdog12
Joseph F, Owner at Pop Pop's Pit BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Wow!!! What a great overview of our small restaurant! Thanks so much for your great review! Hope to see you next vacation!!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Being from Texas, we're BBQ snobs. This little shop is on par with La Barbecue, Franklins and any number of competition bbq restaurants we have back home.
If you have a car and an extra 15 minutes to spare, I'd put this place on your 'MUST EAT AT' list. Easy to get to on major roads with parking in front.
The owner, pitmaster and all around awesome guy, Joe, is very friendly and loves to talk BBQ with you.
The restaurant is small, but seats about 40 comfortably. Has air conditioning, eclectic bbq decor and attentive wait staff.
The do a lot of catering and take out, so plan on trying a bit of everything by ordering the Viking Platter. Comes with ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken (which is the best chicken I've ever had IML). A variety of sauces are available as well ranging from a mustardy Carolina sauce, a vinegar sauce, sweet sauce and some that will scorch the hair off your butt.
They give you hot, fresh pork rinds at the table when you sit down.
What is NOT to love about this place? I don't know. I can't think of a single thing.
Hands down, best BBQ in Myrtle Beach.
If you leave this place still hungry, you didn't try hard enough and that's all on you. There's something for everyone, including a kid's menu.
Add this to your 'Myrtle Beach Places to Eat' pinterest board. You'll be glad you made the trip!

3  Thank Sherry S

Thanks!!! What a great review!! I did challenge Texas to a brisket cook off and no one showed!! Thanks again for the kind words about me and my tiny little BBQ restaurant that could! We do our best everyday and for you to point that out, means so much to my staff and I! Hope to see you next vacation!

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Pop Pops BBQ is as close to perfect as you can get. The staff is friendly and Joseph is awesome. We had brisket and both pork and chicken. Upon arriving home my mom joined us and ate both the chicken and pork with no sauce it's that good. Ialso have a small family business and it hard and it's always a pleasure to help the small guy!..Keep up the good work

Joseph F, Owner at Pop Pop's Pit BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Thanks Jason! It means a lot to us to hear how much you enjoyed everything! You understand how much work and effort it takes to make a great consistent product! Thank you for supporting the tiny BBQ that could!!

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

I searched Trip Advisor for the best rib joint in Myrtle Beach. This was their #1 choice. Now I know why! The food was plentiful and extremely tasty. The service was outstanding. Surroundings are bare bones, but authentic. If you want to eat where the locals eat, then this is your destination! Thanks Joe for your food and stories.

Garth (Sydney, NS. Canada!!)

Thanks Garth!! It was great to chat with you guys! So glad you enjoyed your visit to Pop Pop’s Pit BBQ! We are quickly becoming The Canadien home for great BBQ!! Salt of the earth people!! Thanks again!! Hope to see you next vacation!!

Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

Excellent bbq! On average our family of 4 has spent 55-75 a night on dinner out in myrtle. This was by far our best dinner and we only spent 45. The food was excellent and was the best bbq we have ever had!

Joseph F, Owner at Pop Pop's Pit BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Wow! Thanks! We try to provide great food, service and value when you visit Pop Pop’s Pit BBQ!! Thank you for pointing out all of you positive thoughts on our little mom and pop restaurant! Hope to see you again!