“Don't order the seafood caserole”

Sara J's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 153 Restaurants in Murrells Inlet
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The prices for the restaurant were not bad. My seafood casserole
was more like stuffing covered with cheese. Had I not been from Mass. on the coast I may not know what a great seafood casserole is like. This one consisted of lots of stuffing, 3 shrimp, 4 tiny scallops and what I think was crab. I couldn't really taste it with all the stuffing. Then it was covered with lots of cheese which I think ruined the dish even more. My husband had shrimp, baked potato and coleslaw which he really enjoyed. The hush puppies tasted like fried bread. I don't know what they are suppose to taste like. They were better than my meal. This is just my opinion but was also my birthday so my expectations were high. I won't go back.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

We returned after 3 years and was so disappointed. In retrospect we should have walked out when we were served the dried tasteless hush puppies. The shrimp appetizer was good but the experience was shiort lived. The crab cakes, the potato which was called baked but was anything but baked as well as the greasy tasteless shrimo and grits were terrible. A very nice waitress who quickly reordered our strange tasting old fashioned was the onky saving grace.

Reviewed 30 August 2018

We ate at Sara J's for the first time. We went on a Wednesday evening and were seated without a reservation upon our arrival. We had a friendly, efficient waitress who made sure our drinks were never empty. I had the shrimp and grits. They were ok, but had a lot of melted butter on top. My husband had their fresh catch of mahi. He asked for it to be grilled and it was delicious. They gave him two nice size pieces. He couldn't finish it, so I happily helped. The restaurant has a nice view of the marsh. Overall, it was an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

After hearing compliments on this restaurant from friends who visit yearly, our group of 8 dropped in for a late dinner. The server was very attentive, arranged tables to better seat us, and quickly took our orders. The salads were pre-plated, not surprising for a place that clearly serves quite a crowd nightly. Fresh vegetables, decent dressing. My issue is with the main event - my pan seared scallops and sauteed shrimp was salty, not flavorful. For big eaters, you won’t be disappointed with the serving size - very bountiful portions. The hush puppies were cooked well, but also not flavorful - just a vehicle for the honey butter. I’d probably give Sara J’s another shot and try the fried seafood - it’s too popular to deliver my experience regularly.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

While not part of the Marshwalk complex further south, Sara J's is a seafood delight, all alone at the edge of the marsh. While its popularity often can mean a wait, we went just early enough to avoid the crowds and were seated immediately in the outer room which has roll up windows facing the marsh for use in inclement weather. Service was swift and friendly and the menu so extensive we had difficulty in choosing an entree . My choice was blackened sea scallops which came with two sides. The meal was done to perfection and was without a doubt the largest portion of scallops that I have ever been treated to and at a reasonable price.