“Wonderful Sunday Brunch”

Cuisines: American
Good for: View details, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Old Fort Pub is a charming restaurant with one of the best views on Hilton Head Island. Perched on the banks of the Intra-coastal Waterway, it showcases unrivaled nightly sunsets and a rich history. So named for the adjacent Civil War shore battery, Fort Mitchel, the restaurant’s foyer is decorated with historic photos depicting the “War of Northern Aggression". Previously featured on The Food Network and in other notable publications, the Old Fort Pub has become a tradition for over 35 years. Guests enjoy The Old Fort Pub’s “New Southern” favorites inspired with influences from around the globe. An excellent choice for celebrating a birthday, holiday or a romantic evening.
Reviewed 9 November 2020 via mobile

A wonderful restaurant for both selections and service. This is one of our favorite spots for n Hilton Head Island. Our first this fall met our expectations. The menu is updated with interesting choices. Three of our group enjoyed the Colonial Eggs Benedict. The fourth had the Croque Madam Crepe. Fun.

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank Judy W
Write a reviewReviews (986)

Reviewed 14 October 2020 via mobile

The outside dining area was very lively, although the sunset was not visible due to trees.

Our waiter was very curt and certainly didn’t linger at our table.

The homemade bread was amazingly delicious and had a terrific texture. After that all 6 entrees were ordinary. Looked great on the menu but we all agreed not as flavorful as we had expected.

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank edieann
Reviewed 11 October 2020

Great setting but poor service and mixed reviews on food. Waiter forgot to bring two of our appetizers - never apologized. Escargot had no spices or taste-basically snails in melted butter. Several dishes that had a special request such as no blue cheese on salad, were missed. Seemed like no communication between waiter and kitchen. When we asked waiter for extra plate for sharing one of our dishes, he refused and said he had to charge us a splitting charge. We said ok, but when dish came out, all the grits were on one plate and fish on another. Fish was so overcooked, it was almost liquified. One of the more disappointing dinners in some time.

Date of visit: October 2020
4  Thank Hopjim
Reviewed 28 September 2020

I went to the Old Fort Pub over Labor Day weekend 2020. My companion had been here many times over the years, but for me over years of visiting Hilton Head it was my first time here.

First off, we had reservations, and when we showed up there were about a half dozen tables of people also with reservations waiting for their tables -- they clearly had over-booked. I also could see in the dining room that the tables were no more distanced from each other as would be expected pre-COVID, definitely not properly distanced. Thee was a sign posted by the hostess stand with the language of the Hilton Head Island ordinance requiring social distancing and wearing masks.

They told us to wait in the bar, where no one was wearing a mask, including people not drinking, and there were too many people in there to be properly social-distanced. This included some of the staff people either not wearing masks, wearing them pulled down under their chin (memo to restaurant staff: that doesn't do anything), or continually pulling their mask up and down to talk to people.

After a while, even though there was threat of rain they opened the back patio to seat all these waiting people. The tables on the patio were definitely too close together for proper social distancing, and they seated people at every table. At the table where they seated us our backs were only about 2 feet away from the backs of the people at the adjoining tables. Outdoors or not, that's too close. We moved to a different table.

Our waitress was constantly, CONSTANTLY, touching and fiddling with her mask. She took a while to come back to the table to take our order. Our salads were fine but small portions for the price they charge.

Shortly after we ordered it started to rain. Now of course the restaurant is not responsible for the weather, but they had seated us at tables without umbrellas. There were other tables, however, in a section of the patio that must have been closed because they did not seat anyone there, and all of those tables had umbrellas (so yes, they crammed all of the diners on the patio into one section where seating was too close, when they had another area available to spread us out). The various diners scrambled to go to the other section, grab a table umbrella, and bring it back to the table where their party was seated, including me doing that for our table. None of the restaurant staff helped anyone with this.

After our salads our waitress disappeared. A different server brought our entrees, which were OK -- my companion liked hers and I liked mine, but we each tasted the others and didn't care for it. We each had considered ordering what the other got, so based on the menu description we both should have liked both dishes. So my takeaway is that the food is OK but not great.

At no point while we ate our dinner did we see our waitress, nor did anyone check to see if we were satisfied with the meal. I drank all of my water, no one came by to refill it. After we finished eating no one came by, we sat with empty dirty plates for a good 20 minutes. During this time I observed other waitstaff tending to their tables with a mixed bag of wearing masks, not wearing masks, and wearing them ineffectively -- yes, the staff of the same business that has the city ordinance posted by their front door. I finally asked a different server if we could get our plates cleared.

A little while after our table had been cleared our waitess re-appeared. She asked us if we wanted dessert and pulled her mask down to ask us that question. We said we would look at the menu, which she did bring to us quickly, but then she disappeared again. We decided not to order dessert because the service was so slow/nonexistent, but our waitress was nowhere to be found to ask for the check. After waiting 15 minutes I finally got up to ask for someone else to help with us getting our check. I could not find another server in our area, I went up to the hostess station and there was nobody there, I looked around for a manager and couldn't find anyone. I finally ducked my head into the kitchen to have to ask for our check.

I also need to add that my companion and I kept finding black splotches on our fingers, arms and clothing. At first we didn't know what it was but then we figured it out -- the outdoor furniture was steel or wrought iron painted black, and apparently some of the paint was peeling off in the rain.

All in all a disappointing experience for a meal that cost over $100 with tip.

Date of visit: September 2020
3  Thank JRinGeorgia
Reviewed 17 September 2020

The history complimented this restaurant experience in such an unexpected way. The menu and wine list was reasonable and delicious

Date of visit: September 2020