“Waitress can make or break the experience”

Old Fort Pub Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: View details, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Old Fort Pub is a charming restaurant with one of the best views on Hilton Head Island. Perched on the banks of the Intra-coastal Waterway, it showcases unrivaled nightly sunsets and a rich history. So named for the adjacent Civil War shore battery, Fort Mitchel, the restaurant’s foyer is decorated with historic photos depicting the “War of Northern Aggression". Previously featured on The Food Network and in other notable publications, the Old Fort Pub has become a tradition for over 35 years. Guests enjoy The Old Fort Pub’s “New Southern” favorites inspired with influences from around the globe. An excellent choice for celebrating a birthday, holiday or a romantic evening.
Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

I really wanted this to be wonderful. I've lived here for 6 yrs, our 1st experience. When I made the reservation, I asked to sit outside. @ this time, wish I would have been informed, this is where diners come out to smoke. So my 1st advice is: if u are a non-smoker, sit inside.

We were 1 of 5 tables sitting outside, there were 3 waiters/waitresses. The 2 other waiters were VERY attentive to the other tables. Our waitress, however, was not. We had to inquire about the specials. The way she described them was lack luster. Thank goodness we overheard the description from the waiter of the table seated next to us. Found out @ the end of our meal...it was her 2nd wk. However, when one spends 150$ on dinner, I would expect a new employee would be properly trained in service expectations. We finally had to flag down another server to find out what happened to our waitress. After that, she seemed a bit more attentive.

I will mention also, no one turned on the back ground music until we all had been sitting outside for over an hour.

Onto the food. Our meals were wonderful. My husband ordered the local flounder on special, myself the swordfish. Presentation/taste were lovely. We both would have loved more wine w/ our meal, but this is when our waitress was totally non-existent. She never even checked to see if our meals arrived, if we needed anythg, or if the food was ok. We were both pretty disgusted, since the other waiters were swooning over their tables, checking on them & their selections. I will say, if we had a different waitstaff person, our entire experience/outlook would be different.

My final comment is about my visit to the bathroom. I am ok w/ old. I know this is a historic building, BUT, I am NOT ok w/ dirty!!! There was a rug on the floor that looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in over a week. Then my eyes wandered to the floor, which also looked like it could use a well deserved scrub. I could write my name in the dust on the shelf, where the tp was stored. The floor A/C vent was absolutely disgusting. The toilet/sink were clean.

At no time, did anyone in a management position even walk outside to check on any table. I've eaten in restaurants that charge 1/3 of the cost of this place, & a management person walks about to check on tables.

I'm saddened by our visit here. I was so looking forward to the experience. The view is lovely, but it is at many other places on HHI.

Date of visit: May 2016
oldfortpub, Manager at Old Fort Pub Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to relay your dining experiences at the Old Fort Pub. I am so glad you enjoyed your dinners yet am dismayed and more than a bit embarrassed at the details of your visit. I have shared these details with our staff and our management team. They share my reaction and collectively we send our sincere apologies. We strive for excellence on many levels but none is as important as cleanliness and our guest’s satisfaction.

It is evident that we failed to hit the mark on several levels. I can only tell you that this is certainly not how we run our business. Your comments are well received, thank you again for the time you took to help us understand our shortcomings.

Write a reviewReviews (986)

Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

The food/ wine/ service/ view was top notch! Jessica/ Debbie/ Chef Keith/ and the Manager Joanne were amazing. I had the bouillabaisse, best I've ever had. Thank you Old Fort Pub for a wonderful evening :)

Date of visit: May 2016

Thank you for such kind words. You are the reason we are here and can't wait to see you again.
Joanne

Reviewed 4 May 2016

From beginning to end the service and food was excellent. All of the food was prepared perfectly. Every item we had was seasoned well and even the smallest detail with regard to plating was flawless. If you are looking for deliciously layered food profiles in a magnificent location, then the Old Fort Pub fits the bill.

Date of visit: May 2016

On behalf of our entire culinary staff and especially the Chef, we thank you!

Reviewed 1 May 2016

Charming, low country fine dining experience. Excellent service. Gourmet food choices. Special occasion lovely dining experience.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

Saw some great reviews of this place and with the amazing weather couldn't pass it up. Used open table and requested outside with a view and it didn't disappoint! View was amazing, food was fantastic and service was great! Be sure to order the pub special soup, it was amazing!