Lowest prices for your stay
US$169
Hotels.com
Expedia
Agoda.comUS$169
Trip.com
1,611 results
All reviews ashley river middleton plantation floor to ceiling windows wood burning fireplace rice plantation spanish moss live oaks bath salts river view downtown charleston happy hour beautiful property cocktail hour minute drive complimentary breakfast south carolina yogurt
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2021

My husband and I wanted a quiet weekend to disconnect. We booked a Riverside room at the Inn. We were excited to be able to access the Middleton Place Plantation and Gardens and we also booked dinner at the Middleton Place Restaurant.

When we booked the room we were informed that most of the amenities at the Inn were closed; the Lakehouse and Lodge. When we arrived we figured out this was due to the beginning of renovations going on. Since we wouldn’t have access to the Lodge specifically, we were told a complimentary bottle of wine and cheese platter would be in our room. When we arrived in our room, we were very disappointed. Not only was there no bottle of wine or cheeses there but the room was very old. Ripped bed quilt, stained ceilings, and moldy bathroom. Our room was on the second floor and did not have the wooden blinds that you see on the website. No biggie, but the glass windows were very dirty. The bathroom was extremely dated. Toilet was very low to the floor. Sink area did not seem very clean. When my husband called to inquire about the wine and cheese; the receptionist had no idea. She asked him to call someone at the Lodge. We left a message and decided to head over to the Middleton Plantation and Gardens.

The gardens were exquisite! Absolutely gorgeous. There was a quick path to walk from the Inn to the Gardens during the day. Registration suggested we go straight to the Visitor Center to reserve a time for the House tour. Everything about the plantation and gardens was worth it. A must see if you're in the area. While enjoying the gardens we heard back from a manager at the Lodge who informed us that due to it being closed, we were unable to have a cheese platter but they could give us a bottle of champagne. When we returned to our room that evening, the bottle was nicely chilling in the fridge. She was very apologetic. We enjoyed an excellent dinner at the Middleton Place Restaurant. Walking the path at night though, was extremely dark and challenging. No lighting. Bring a flashlight!

In our room, that evening we did enjoy a nice wood burning fire, although the logs were very damp and took a while to burn. The room was very quiet. Unfortunately, when we woke up the next morning, the ceiling was leaking. When taking a shower it was very old and the fixture hung low. I have no idea what tall people do to shower. The shower also had a very wide ledge, which was dangerous for entering and exiting.

Before leaving we strolled over to the Lakehouse where there was a “grab and go'' breakfast. Due to COVID- 19 we were told this was the only breakfast option. This was the most ridiculous breakfast I had ever seen. They were charging people for microwaved JimmyDean sandwiches and toasted bagels. Thankfully, we were served by the same nice manager who sent us the champagne and she comped us our breakfast. When we checked out I informed registration of the room leak, she seemed shocked and very apologetic.

Frankly, based on our experience, the rate was excessive. I wanted to love it, being a part of nature was wonderful and the staff was kind, but the room was a huge disappointment.

Room tip: Upper floor
Date of stay: January 2021
Abigail Martin, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment, sounds like you did face a number of challenges. I'd love to speak to you directly, as I wasn't aware of these issues and get some more information. Please reach out when you can.

In regards to a leak in the room, repairs moving forward consist of all new roofing-which is why our staff was most likely so surprised, so I don't expect this to be a ongoing issue. A committee has been formed to look at the design of the room as well, so perhaps some of your ideas will be discussed. The oversights of my staff are just that, and I'll be sure to speak to my team to get us on the same page. In regards to breakfast, we happily will go back to regular service, with safety options in place, starting March 1st.

Reviewed 13 December 2020

I decided to stay at The Inn while I was in Charleston. I was drawn to stay here because passes to Middleton Place was included with your stay.
I stayed in a Riverside room and had a beautiful view of the River. I went on a walk along the river after I checked in and the view was breath taking. I was able to use the fireplace in my room which made my stay even more relaxing.
The next day I went over to Middleton Place and had a blast walking the grounds. I especially liked the stable yard.
All of the staff members I came into contact with were very nice and helpful. I would highly recommend staying if you are visiting Charleston or even if you live near by and need a little get away.

Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and for your kindness and understanding of the outstanding location we have to offer. Stay well.

Reviewed 12 December 2020

The Good, The door locks, The Bad. small tv, smoke smell, dirty exterior windows. The Ugly. The tub ,large stain on carpet.

Aside from that you have to climb a long concrete set of steps to get to your room. At night it is so dark you need a flashlight to get back to your car or go to their lodge for a drink. I felt like i was at a dated Boy Scout camp. With such a small tv i could have used a set of binoculars to watch a show then afterwards go on my computer , oh did I mention no internet. The dark ages for sure. Very dark at night. If you slip & fell from staircase at night no one would find you till next light. They leave office after 11:00 pm & you are on your own.
If it would burn down you could recycle the ashes & rake all the leaves to make a really nice compost pile. This would greatly help the environment & provide a nice park setting for all to enjoy.

Room tip: If you own an AR15 & like being alone in dark any second floor is good.
Reviewed 12 December 2020

Apart from the gloom of the pitch black unlighted gravel driveway at night and the lack of adequate signage there was plenty else to find fault with including the guest room’s 1950’s (1960’s?) ambiance which has not been updated since then except for the installation of what appeared to be a 24” flat screen in one corner of the room. Maybe it had features deserving of architectural awards when it was built, but today it is just dated and old timey without the charm we imagine of those times.
Sure, there was a river view. But that view was through filthy glass embedded with leaf scraps and bug smears.
Midday, trying to locate the primary reason for my visit to this property, the Middleton Plantation House, was a frustrating object lesson concerning the need for adequate signage. An arrow here and there at ankle level was definitely not helpful. The arrows prompted the question, “to where?” each time they appeared. They could have been guiding me to the restaurant, the chapel, the mill, or the equestrian center as well as to the house. It was just by good fortune that I finally walked past an employee near the house who indicated the correct direction of travel.
Toward evening I plugged in two computers only to find neither could connect to the Internet. Several hours earlier I had been working at the same computers in a hotel nearby and they connected without any issues. Despite some assistance from a maintenance person, who unplugged and plugged in the router, neither computer would connect and I was assured that it had to be a result of firewalls on my computers- firewalls that I do not have!
Switching focus to an evening of TV was an option, but watching the tiny screen from the bed a number of feet away was pretty difficult.
If I were not afraid to bring my luggage down a long, steep, outside staircase into the unlighted parking area I would have left then.
Instead, I decided to force myself to stay and try to sleep despite the smoky odor permeating the floors, walls, ceilings, and curtains from the wood logs burned in the fireplace that had apparently been enjoyed by many previous guests. I can understand that some people find a wood burning fireplace unique and impressive. Having experienced wood burning fireplaces I know how they can permanently contaminate every surface of a room making it impossible to breathe clean air. What makes this even more puzzling is that the Inn is a non-smoking property and charges a fee of $250 to patrons who leave a “distinctive smell of smoking” in the room!
This place is not Shangri la even though it is surrounded by nature. There are so many improvements that should be made in order to make this better than camping in a tent, which being a lot cheaper probably would be preferred by many. I felt like I was in a rustic hunting lodge rather than an Inn.
There were not many guests as far as I could tell by the number of parked cars in front of other buildings. There were no guests apart from myself in my two story building. It seemed to have about 6-8 separate apartments-which made my assignment to the room furthest from the registration area and up a steep flight of 16 steps all the more strange. I had reserved a river view king. Were there no first floor river view king’s? Or, maybe one a little closer to the parking area?
In any case, by 4 AM I felt I could stand no more of the smoky ambience and I packed my bags. I carefully made my way down the steep concrete steps 4 times holding a bag and a flashlight in one hand while grasping the rail with the other. There were some path lights, but no overhead lights. Without my own lighting providing a safe walkway ahead I would have had to remain in the room until dawn. My car was basically invisible without my own auxiliary light.
The photos looked a lot better online than reality proved to be.

1  Thank TheCovertCritic
Abigail Martin, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2020

All in all, thank you for describing a property that so many love, so well! I'm sold and ready to check-in!

I'm so sorry that we never had a opportunity to discuss your concerns directly with you. The internet worked fine in your room, as you were told, and we showed you where and how we were connected and shared ideas why our open network may have a issue with your settings. It was a tense discussion, as you were so upset, it was hard to help and we certainly understand your anger. The check-in packet given at Registration has labeled numbers at Middleton Place, with a map, to help you locate your surroundings. Riverside Kings are only in the building you were located in and yes, there were no downstairs rooms available to place you in as we were sold out prior. We do try to discuss this with potential guests upon booking, but those that book through a third party like Travel Zoo, as you did, sometimes miss out those details. It was a fabulous, low price though, wasn't it!

We are in the process of renovations and repairs and I'm very pleased to hear that neither impacted your stay! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally to discuss any further concerns, and I hope you will consider giving us another try over the next few years as we continue to make the experience better for all. Stay healthy!

Reviewed 5 December 2020 via mobile

Request a top room or you will hear every single thing your upstairs neighbor does. Extremely annoying when trying to sleep. Also, if you do not want your room and belongings to smell like wood burning fire do not stay here. Even if you aren’t burning a fire the smoke from your neighbors will enter your room. There is no fan in the bathroom so don’t expect privacy there.
Beds and linens are comfy and people are nice. Restaurant is outstanding.

1  Thank 897daniellem

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate you and your visit in 2020! We do agree that the upper floors tend to be quieter, if the lack of elevators are not a issue, that is the way to go. There is a fan in every bathroom, and yes, it is fireplace season here at the Inn. We hope you continue to come back and access the updates and renovations in progress!