“Mid Bike Ride Lunch”

Sawmill Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Quick Bites in Leeper
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I rode the Rail 66 Trail and planned to stop for a lunch in about the middle of the out and back route. Between the rural nature of the trail, a few options that had closed since they could not survive the COVID shutdowns, and that the summer season had not yet kicked in, the Sawmill Restaurant was about the only option. The Sawmill Restaurant is about 1 block away from the trail. It is part sit-down restaurant and part ice cream stand. I appreciated that they did have a bike rack at the site. There was a line at the outside service window so I elected to go inside and try my luck there. You order at the counter and then pick a table. It was about 1:00 PM at the time. Like so many restaurants and fast food places, they are currently woefully understaffed. One person was working the outside window and a second was working the inside window. As best I could tell there was only a third person doing the cooking. The line moved slowly but that was more because of the person placing their order than the person taking the order. Since I still had a number of miles to ride, I kept my order light with just a cheeseburger and an unsweetened iced tea. Besides taking orders and filling drinks and ice cream orders the waitresses had to serve the inside customers and bus the tables. They were certainly loaded down with a number of duties. The cook took pity on them with my simple burger order and came to the window, saw my table number, held my burger up, and gave me a head nod. So it took about 15 - 20 minutes from order to food at the table. The burger was a hand-pressed fresh pattie and was properly prepared. I was lucky to pick a table that had Heinz ketchup. If you grew up in Western PA, there are no good substitutes. The bun was fresh and overall the burger was tasty. The iced tea came from a pitcher in the refrigerator so I assume it is brewed onsite as needed. It had a nice balanced taste, not bitter, not watery. The staff was polite and despite the workload, one waitress was noticeably friendly and pleasant. I guess the best way to say thumbs up, is to say, "I would eat there again".

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (35)

Reviewed 1 October 2020

When we got there, there was no one at the counter to take our order. When she did come, she was a bit short with us while we were trying to decide. Would not go back.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 17 June 2020

This was a hard one to grade because the food was fantastic but the restaurant sure did not look clean at all. I had a hamburger and honestly, the best ever. My husband had a chicken sandwich and he said the same. The curly fries were perfect.

You can easily use their "order out" window and eat in your car, which is my suggestion. And the girls that work here are sweet as can be.

Date of visit: June 2020
Reviewed 15 May 2020 via mobile

Had their Mushroom and Swiss Burger...the old fashion In the grease on the griddle kind...it was so good. (I usually don’t eat rolls; but had to eat half; grilled rolls.)
Had to return later in the day for ice cream; good value.

Date of visit: May 2020
Reviewed 3 January 2020

Stopped on our way out of town for breakfast. It was really good, homecooked food and the service was attentive and friendly. The pancakes were a favorite for my family and everyone's eggs were done well, bacon was just right. Ordered at the counter and the food was served to our table.

Date of visit: December 2019