Open today: 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
Best in the business

We always have such a great time at the Crooked River. The food and wine is first class and the... read more

Reviewed yesterday
robseka
Shellharbour, Australia
via mobile
A lovely experience, beautiful ambiance

The lovely Emelia provided a tasting for my daughter and I (more for me as she was driving). Emelia... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Paula W
Drysdale, Victoria, Australia
via mobile

All reviews crooked river winery wine tasting long lunch second to none lovely lunch snapper great wine duck last weekend staff were lovely south coast course meal long weekend beautiful view lovely food cab sav bands
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Crooked River advertised Sunday the 4th April as the family day of the rescheduled weekend festival.

Well if that is what they call a family day I am gob-smacked.

We arrived at 10:30, we were guided into a long grass parking area at the base of the hill, even though I clearly displayed a disability pass in the front window I was told that there was no special area set aside at the top of the hill for those with movement problems.

After a slow hobble up the deep grass slope with four of my adult children and four of my young grandchildren in tow, we then tried to find shade!

The sun was intense and there was no attempt made by the promoter to supply any form of shade for the paying client except if you were lucky enough to find room under one of the two trees available.

So what did we all pay the money for, one would think you pay the money to come and listen to the music, enjoy the amenities and enjoy a reasonable priced food and beverage selection?

Not this venue, you paid the entrance fee to be put through a sweat provoking walk up the hill, then to sit under the blazing sun listening to musicians tuning up their instruments while waiting for food and drink to be available.

Now don't get me wrong here, I know we have all had it tough through the Pandemic and businesses deserve a bit of support right?

But at $12.00 per can, that is equivalent of $360.00 for a case for Great Northern cans that are approximately $48.00 a case retail at the bottlo, is just robbery.

Paying $45.00 for a bottle of wine from the Cellar Door counter that on any other day is $38.00 a bottle is just greedy and will encourage me to tell all the guest who stay at my three rentals in Gerringong to steer clear of Crooked River Winery.

Most of the food was expensive but not over the top for the environment at a "Festival", maybe $15.00 for a plate fried potatoes cut up as chips was high but they were delicious.

Now lets get back to the word "Family" day with children catered for?

They wrote the words, "with kid's entertainment, face painting and more"!!

Entertainment = some poor sole in a bunny suit walking around with a Alice in Wonderland companion, this started happening about 12:30.

Face Painting = was so secretive most the staff had no idea what we were talking about when we asked around. About 13:30 a child appeared with a painted face and upon asking the parent the question of were she found the face painter, the answer was "by accident in a room behind the cellar door counter"!

That was it for the Family Day out at this absolute rip off, so rikkih813 please don't feel to bad about what you missed, it was the money they ripped you off for that would be the string.

Date of experience: April 2021
1  Thank IKICKEDIT
Reviewed 25 March 2021

Quite heartbroken actually.

I bought a ticket to an event where a band with sentimental value to my husband and I would be playing. Due to COVID, the event was understandably postponed. We were told we had an option to obtain a refund by 1 Sept, a date BEFORE their release of new dates (although they tried to say they announced it on Facebook, I could not find said post).

An email in January reiterated that refunds were only an option prior to 1 Sept, and that the event would be over Easter. A time where I, and probably several others, already locked in plans given the predominance of local travel over holiday periods at the moment.

However, although really sad I would miss the event we'd so been looking forward to, I respected their apparent policy that I'd assumed applied to all ticket holders.

February, another email went out, making absolutely no reference to refunds, saying that any queries regarding the event should be made by a date in that month.

After this date, I find out that a friend of mine received a refund after 1 Sept, doing little more than emailing a few times. No special circumstances.

After emailing regarding my own refund, I received a rude and abrupt email from CRW saying that as I had not emailed them a few weeks earlier (before that Feb date, very far from the September deadline I had trusted was their policy) I was not eligible for a refund. Instead, a voucher.

We bought tickets to an experience that personally meant a lot to us (alongside many more reasons, one of the band's song our wedding song); plus seven months apart, me working and isolating with two toddlers, him in a COVID-savaged country (just one family in a long list of difficult 2020s, I know. xx). Eating over $200 worth of food at their venue four hours' drive away, or buying that amount in wine would not be special to us personally at all.

I was bumped to someone else who changed the refund story saying that they have a strict no refunds policy (indicated on their website). When I pointed out that refunds were given, it changed again to 'refunds are case by case'. So I guess, just not my case. Still with no coherent reason except they just thought 'nah, we want to pocket your money'.

They used a legal loophole that gave small business (rightly) autonomy over their refunding on cancelled events (although, as admitted by them, they did not cancel, they postponed and subsequently sold even more tickets with the new date, my purchase was no longer a deficit ticket if refunded) to rip me of the $280 that would, I'm sorry, mean actually quite a lot.

I believed their policy and, while incredibly disappointed, figured they had good reason to not refund. But, they did refund... I'd also be ok if they had told everyone Feb was a newly opened refund window, and due to numbers and vendor organisation/cost, tickets had to be finalised by then or a voucher would be issued to inject the loss back into the business. But no.... they were shady about it. I'd have requested a refund in January had I known it was a possibility.

They kept vital information from well-intentioned ticket buyers, and then were rude and high on arrogance that their loophole-protected position of autonomy was 'winning'. Congrats guys, your deliberate sneaky omitting of the true nature of how to obtain a refund has worked a real treat. You've got my money and I will not be taking up space at your event.

Serve me right for not badgering a small business during peak COVID to go against their (apparent...) refund policy. I suppose I should have done that.

I have never ever had a more unpleasant consumer experience. I hope they thoroughly enjoy my money. (Due to me wanting answers for the inconsistent refund policy before blindly accepting their voucher offer, they cut off that option in lieu of providing an answer, and I will now get given tickets I cannot use).

If I could give less than one star to this experience, I would.

Date of experience: March 2021
1  Thank rikkih813
Reviewed 21 March 2021 via mobile

My friend and I visited on a Friday for lunch. The setting is beautiful and the view is lovely. We had a main course each. I had lamb and my friend had a leek tart. Food was good and the value was ok. We had some greens on the side. We tried a glass of local wine. A good spot for lunch on a lovely day

Date of experience: February 2021
Reviewed 9 March 2021 via mobile

7 of us met for lunch on Sunday, set 2 course meal, some wanted a starter and main and others wanted a main and a dessert. No problem until we had to wait over an hour for our mains to arrive, so those who didn't have a starter were starving! When we asked could they check on our food as it's been over an hour, the young waitress said yes but never came back. I had to find her to ask her when was the food coming! Very poor service leaving your customers waiting with no acknowledgement to the fact that we had been waiting over an hour! Then when the mains finally arrived, one main was missing and took another 10 mins to arrive. The main fish dish was very small, you definitely needed side dishes. Unfortunately we left hungry after our starter and main! Deserts also got messed up, two turned up but they had no record of the 3rd they said! So again another wait of 10mins before the last person got their dessert and they then felt uncomfortable having to eat it while we all watched on!
Poor service, no attention paid to their customers, just left us waiting, food nice but over priced for what you get. Nice location but be prepared to wait!

Date of experience: February 2021
1  Thank CAL250
Reviewed 3 March 2021

I went with my partner for the wine tasting and the 2 course lunch. The lady who took us for the wine tasting awesome, she listened to how you liked the wines and made other recommendations to your taste. Gave a story about each of the wines made much more interesting.
The lunch, obviously one waitress on (one had called in sick) so noones fault, but meant we were all sat in one area which felt a bit close.
Her service was awesome, food great and wine even better.
Recommend this place and has great views.

Date of experience: March 2021