All reviews the pub roll top bath my partner main building open fire steak and ale pie sunday dinner booked a table yorkshire pudding bite to eat lovely food car park under new management lovely room be visiting again stayed one night lovely place
Reviewed 1 November 2018 via mobile

What a find!!!!
Beautiful quirky town, goreous pub, decor is stunning, Room 6 was a delight, staff were fab ... Really friendly, nothing was too much trouble and food was delicious... Both dinner & breakfast
Will be returning ❤️

1  Thank RattiAnni
BillyJFletcher, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2018

Hello and thank you for such a lovely review!

We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and hopefully you’ll be back again soon! Reviews like this are why we love what we do.

Thank you once more!

Billy Fletcher

Reviewed 29 October 2018

I'm a Hebden Bridge local and have drunk in t' Lion as long as i can remember. I've dined in here on a number of occasions and the food has always been very good but on the past couple of occasions when I've popped in for drink with my partner, we've been asked to move from a table to make way for diners. Friends tell me they've all had exactly the same experience or witnessed this happening to other drinkers.

The Lion needs to make its mind up whether it's exclusively a restaurant or a pub that does food because right now, it doesn't know what it is! Drinkers are certainly made to feel like a low-profit margin inconvenience.

I don't mind if a table has a reserved sign on it or even a sign indicating that 'this table is reserved between the hours of X and Y'. But for a member of staff to simply come along and ask you to vacate a table - with the embarrassed group who've booked a table looking on - because you're not eating smacks of rudeness and hardly makes you feel like a valued customer. On the contrary, this shabby/lazy attitude to customer service is one that makes you feel like 'you don't even belong in here'.

Maybe I need to book a table in order to sit down with a pint because that's how it appears the Lion operates?

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
BillyJFletcher, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2018

Hello, Sir.

Thank you so much for leaving a review. We’re delighted you like our food and enjoy spending time here.

I’d like to take the opportunity to explain that as a traditional coaching inn, we cater for both dining and drinking audiences. We have done so for years and all of our customers whether drinking or eating are very valued and appreciated.

In terms of dining and drinking space, our residents and patrons can dine anywhere across the pub. That means on busy periods tables do get reserved for dining as our guests do often have a preference on where they’d like to sit. We would never move a table of drinking guests for the sake of diners without a pre-reservation and we always try and give as much notice as possible. We always endeavour to try and find space for guests to sit when the table they currently occupy has been reserved by other visitors.

I feel it necessary to stress that we would never “simply ask” a visitor to vacate a table without a specific reservation.

Drinkers and diners alike are more than welcome at The White Lion, as it has been since the building was built in 1657. (Except in 1907 when part of the building briefly became a post office). We would never prioritise guests as you suggest above and we’re very sorry if that was how it was received. As if gets colder, guests often reserve tables near our fire place to dine on an evening. As we don’t prioritise either custom - we allow our reserving guests to choose where they’d like to sit.

We like to think we make all guests drinking or dining equally welcome, as is the message we ask all staff to translate to all our guests. We are after all a coaching inn - therefore not quite a pub, not quite a restaurant - but hopefully a happy, welcoming blend of the two.

We absolutely know what we are and what we want to provide to our customers and we only hope those that visit feel welcome, well-fed and watered.

I do hope you decide to visit again and apologies for the long response. We just feel the above needed clarifying as we wouldn’t want potential visitors to feel we approach business or custom as commented above. Thank you again!

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed one night at the white lion after attending a gig at the Trades Club. Our room was clean, spacious and well equipped. The shower could have been more powerful but that was the only negative. We enjoyed a lovely evening meal in the pub and the breakfast was plentiful and well cooked. The pub is in a very central location and we will definitely stay there again.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HaleyT132, Owner at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Chris thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking at what can be done re the water pressure, it’s a very old building and the plumbing is quite convoluted but we should be able to get that resolved.

We look forward to your return

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

My partner and I recently spent two nights here and it was beautiful. The room was large, clean and had a great homely vibe. I enjoyed it so much I looked to see if we could book another night but there was no vacancies. Only suggestion would be a small fridge and an iron in the room to make the stay even more comfortable. I can’t wait to visit again next year.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HaleyT132, Owner at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Melissa thank you for your wonderful review. Thank you for your suggestions we have on our list to provide irons and ironing boards in each room, we do have them on request for guests. Sorry we didn’t have room for you for another night but we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

I stayed for one night whilst doing the Pennine Way. I was given Room 10 which is in a block of four a single storey buildings at the rear of the main building. It is a triple room and, as I was on my own, I had a lot of space to myself. The premises are really clean and the staff very friendly. The breakfast was very tasty.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
HaleyT132, Owner at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Thank you for your lovely review. We hope you enjoyed completing the Pennine Way, it takes in some amazing scenery whilst being quite a challenge.

We hope you return to Hebden Bridge soon.