“Best Japanese Food Ever”
Review of Ramen Ichiban

Ramen Ichiban
Ranked #249 of 602 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Just a little hole in the wall...but delicious Japanese food. I have not had Katsudon this good since I enjoyed it in Japan many, many years ago. The owner is sentimental about the comfort food his mother made him as a child and the quality of his dishes honors her memory. Fresh ingredients, simply cooked, steaming hot when served. Made me long for the little noodle shops on the Ginza.

1  Thank rokbums

Reviewed 30 June 2017

My wife & I and two close friends wanted to try something a little different for our montly lunch get-together. I searched Trip Advisor for help, in finding someplace that served noodles for me and had a selection of vegitarian items for others. I selected Raman Ichiban based on its high rating and menu. The food was prepared well and satisfied my fussy tastes. The place is plainly decorated (if you can call it that). If you decide to try it. Get ready to order from the cash counter and sit at a small formica table. Don't expect 5 star service, just plain good Japanese food.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Best Katsudon in Oregon, that is what the owner told me 7 years ago when I first went there and I am convinced he is 100% correct. I have tried it all over the US and his is still the best, "just like mom use to make". Signature dish and a must try!!!!

Reviewed 16 February 2017

Small place, not very noticeable - I've lived 5 miles away for 15 years & only found it a couple years ago.
Their Udon soup is my favorite, the flavor of the broth is exceptional.
The owner was patient & taught us about how he makes everything by hand with quality ingredients, not like the American raman places around town - this guy is the real deal.
Its not a modern updated restaurant, hard to fit a crowd in it & the carpet is old, but they don't waste money on the furnishings - it all goes to the tasty meals.
Its a must try!

Pro Tip: Call ahead to pickup - no wait then since food is prepped at ordering.
Pro Tip2: Pay with cash - credit cards are charged a small fee.

Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

I have lived down the road all my life and never tried this place as it was small and tucked away.

Tonight I got Udon and boyfriend got Katsudon and Gyoza(potstickers) amazing!!
The owner taught us facts about his authentic food with high quality ingredients, spent time helping us choose what to try.

I will definitely be back again...this week....next week...the next...lol.