“Nice Meal In A Nice Setting”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Service Creek Stage Stop
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Fossil
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

You can find this restaurant about 18 miles east of Fossil in the Service Creek area. We stopped here after visiting the Painted Hills. The café is a nice little stop pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but on a lovely stretch of highway. The dining room is pretty simple with a few tables. There are a lot of water sport style decorations considering the place specializes in those activities too. We were greeted and seated by a friendly staff. The menu is pretty simple with a lot of basic American style dishes. I went with a mushroom Swiss burger and both that and the fries came out pretty good. I think you are supposed to have a view of the creek, but the view was not too bad with the old barn. There are not a lot of eating options in the Fossil area, but the Stage Stop is a good one.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed 8 September 2019

Fine, hardworking people will take great care of you! They made a house-smoked tri-tip French dip sandwich that was amazing. The place has everything you need for car, bike, motorcycle and rafting and fishing trips. The people are super welcoming and friendly. They will go out of their way to make you feel at home. They even made me a breakfast sandwich the night before I was leaving to help ensure I could get an early start. Great access to fishing, rafting and the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. I will definitely try to get my bicycling crew to join me in another stay in the future.

Date of visit: August 2019
2  Thank Jimmidd
Reviewed 13 June 2019

Nice hiden gem on the road to get a meal that was well prepared and tasty. Ate here twice on this trip.

Date of visit: May 2019
2  Thank richardwQ67RA
Reviewed 4 September 2018

We stayed overnight in Fossil so that we could dig for fossils in John Day Fossil Beds with our 2 kids. The next day we drove to see the Paintec Hills and just enjoy this beautifully scenic part of Central Oregon. We ate lunch inside and were treated to another diner rattling of stories and history of the area. It was perfect! My husband had suggested we wait and just grab something when we got to Biggs. But this was a gem of a stop, with kind people who will take the time if you just slow down and listen.

Date of visit: September 2018
2  Thank RunningM
Reviewed 30 March 2018

The people working here are what makes this place a great place to eat the coffee cup never was empty it was really good for breakfast, we only ate a dinner (which was good too) one night there but had breakfast every day we stayed here. The pancakes were huge and delicious as were other specials that weren’t on the regular menu.

Date of visit: March 2018