“Pleasantly surprised at this collection”

Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art
Ranked #3 of 34 things to do in Norman
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

I am admittedly not well-versed in art, but found the museum surprising in both the size and quality of its collection. Knowing it was on a university campus, I assumed it would small, but an hour at a brisk clip only allowed us to see a fraction of the museum, which was three sizable floors. While I did not see many artists that I recognized, there were many styles represented very well. I am not a huge fan of Southwest art, but I could appreciate the quality of the large collection. They also had impressionist art, sculptures, glassworks, and a very cool collection of Asian art, to name a few. And it's free! Well worth an afternoon.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

This is a wonderful collection of art from the Americas, Europe, Asia and Micronesia. There are paintings from some big names, like Gauguin, Renoir, and Van Gogh, as well as locally well-known Oklahoma Native American artists. My wife and I especially liked the Orthodox icon exhibit, and the glass art exhibit. This is a free museum, and a good way to spend an enjoyable and educational two or three hours.
Free parking is located just north of the museum, across the street.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

This is one of the finest art museums we have visited. The space is beautifully designed, and the collections are excellent and well curated. Don't skip it.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

I especially liked the native american art. It's a beautiful museum but make sure there are no other events going on or you might not get in.

Reviewed 19 May 2017

The exhibits and manner of display are first-rate, but museum guards move with the viewer of the art, always observing them as they move from gallery to gallery. We came here less than a month after spending five weeks in Pairs and Amsterdam, enjoying the museums there. I was saddened by the manner that security at Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art employed against its guests. That policy of security changed what could have been an enjoyable time of looking at the great art that is there, into an uncomfortable experience that I will not repeat.

2  Thank John C

Been to Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art? Share your experiences!