“Not great at all and a one hour wait for main course!!”

ROKA The Square Turkish Mediterranean Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Bagshot
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Description: We are a family run independent restaurant serving Turkish, Mediterranean cuisine We have just completely refurbished this restaurant which dates back 300 years and has a beautiful barn style roof. We offer 20% discount at lunchtimes (ex Bank holidays and special days) . There is a private room which can host parties of 10/12. The food is freshly cooked by our Turkish Chefs. You can enjoy hot and cold meze served with the chefs homemade Turkish Pide bread, BBQ'd meats and lots of other fantastic authentic dishes from this fascinating country. The Baklava is amazing. We have a lovely bar which serves cocktails to order. There is wheelchair access and baby changing facilities. Plenty of free of street parking is available. We can cater for private parties and have Jazz, Soul and Motown singers on Friday and Saturday evenings. Private parties and buffets can be arranged if required .
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Early dinner, arrival, 6:10pm (had to be elsewhere at 8pm so left plenty of time...we thought!), there was a 2 or 3 other tables occupied. We ordered drinks, Tzatziki and bread which arrived quickly (by 6:20).

Then the wait began.... More people arrived by this time but no one had their mains. We had to chase-up our mains three times (Second drinks arrived and were finished). We were on our feet to leave at 7:40 when it finally arrived. Too late to relax and enjoy, it became a very expensive, cold, take away with one salad missing.

The kebabs we had were not great at all and ended up in the bin. I have had way better from Frimley Rd Flame Grill. The staff were apologetic, the manager acknowledging they were not busy. Table service was ok, but what was the kitchen doing?

I was given 20% discount off the £58 bill. This added insult to injury as I now see on their website that they offer 20% off before 6pm, so it was no gesture at all!

Great Tzatziki, but I can get that elsewhere........which I will.

Sue d, Owner at ROKA The Square Turkish Mediterranean Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi Nicholas ... I am very upset to read your review and can only apologise on behalf of the Roka Management team for your experience.

I know this is no excuse at all but we have had a fair few of our waiting staff leave to travel and study before leaving for uni recently and have had some new staff start this week.

Having spoken to our floor manager it seems that they simply did not press the required button to send your main meal to the kitchen. We have reviewed this with everyone and I sincerely hope that this 'schoolboy' error has been rectified.

The discount you received was a gesture of good will and is normally given to tables who have vacated their table by 6pm. You did not arrive until 6.10 according to your review above.

I really hope you do come back and dine with us again . Please let me (Sue or Bulent) know when you do and we will make sure that you are properly looked after.

Kind regards

Sue

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Roka now has a lovely terrace, where you can eat, drink and admire the village. Being a long time regular since it first opened, I telephoned to book a table on the terrace, the gentleman told me that they do not reserve the terrace but I could have a table indoors. I asked about a table indoors, but was told that I could only have one at 6.30 but I would have to vacate the table by 8pm. This tells me that they are just out for money and not the customers delight at being at the restaurant. Very surly gentleman at the end of the phone, not helpful at all. If you go to the restaurant always speak to the ladies as they are vert customer friendly!!! and they will try and accommodate what you want. Vive Girl Power.....

Sue d, Owner at ROKA The Square Turkish Mediterranean Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Hi Elle .. sorry to read your review today .
Being a regular customer I am sure you appreciate how busy we are at weekends .
We are fully booked this Saturday evening and reserving a table outside is not possible . You will find the same policy at many restaurants including Coworth Park .. as I have tried many times myself !
The English weather is unpredictable and if we had a sudden thunder storm we have to be able to offer booked customers a table inside .
For this reason we only have walk ins for the terrace .

Your comments regarding our member of staff are extremely unfair as he is a well respected and helpful man . Sometimes the accent on the phone may be quirky but your description is wholly unfair .

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding
Thsnks

Sue

Reviewed 25 June 2018

This was our first occassion for lunch here; superb, relaxed, efficient and friendly service and a chance to sit out on the new veranda section of the restauarnt.

3  Thank Balcombes2013
Reviewed 22 June 2018

We visited to celebrate my wife and future daughter in laws birthdays and weren't disappointed. My wife is coeliac so we always check before we try any restaurant and were assured that the waiting staff would know what could and couldn't be offered gluten free. Our server was indeed very knowledgeable and as the food is cooked from scratch almost everything was possible to have in GF form.

The food was fantastic, the service likewise. The place was buzzing all evening and even had live music. To top the lot it was good value for money too. Will definitely be going back.

2  Thank Peytonfulham
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Super restaurant with delicious authentic Turkish cuisine. Highly recommend the Iskender kebab (lamb of course) among many fine dishes.

1  Thank Dylski