“Very accommodating for guests with allergies”
Review of Imperial China

Imperial China
Ranked #9 of 52 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Price range: US$20 - US$100
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Imperial China Restaurant offers the most exquisite Chinese and Szechaun food and an extensive menu is offered both in the restaurant and as a take away. New Forest locals have come to accept the friendly, discreet service as the 'norm', but no-one visiting Imperial China fails to comment on the high quality of the food no matter how many times they have eaten there !
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From the moment we stepped foot inside the staff were especially attentive because they remembered that we had mentioned one of us had food allergies when we made the booking. They were almost falling over themselves to help us and to make sure that every dish we ordered was safe. If they weren't sure of something then they nipped in to the kitchen to check with the chef. It is rare to have that kind of service where a food allergy is taken seriously. We did say to them that the allergy was not life threatening, but can cause discomfort, but they still treated us as though it was as serious as life and death.
The decor looked very old fashioned and tired which would normally make me 'deduct a star' with the rating, but because of the excellent service I want to give this place 5 stars.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The New Forest's Imperial China on Lyndhurst's High Street was, (along with a number of friends & colleagues of my acquaintance), a number one Cantonese & Schezuan restaurant in southern Hampshire, both for the quality of its offerings and its impeccable service..and like those many friends, I was very disappointed when it suddenly closed some while back.

Keeping watch for a re-opening date, we all waited a long time but then happily it did open its doors once more and I really should have been in like a shot and not wait so long for a visit..

Alas 'life' got in the way but finally I managed to pop in on a recent week-day lunch-time, (a regular habit of mine in 'the old days), with a friend and grabbed what used to be my old table... not hard when we were the only diners in the building that day!.

After receiving a warm welcome I looked about me to see that, apart from subtle changes to the decor, the restaurant basically looked like I remembered..and when the menu arrived that also seemed much the same as I previously recalled.

The only difference instantly apparent was a lack of chop-sticks on the immaculately laid table...and though this was not a major thing, 'when in Rome etc' I do try to give it a go, though quite often my meal has cooled considerably as I fight with the fiendish oriental sticks throughout the meal, but being offered just a fork felt not quite the same!.

Nevertheless my companion & I duly ordered and the food arrived in short order and though I detected a subtle change in taste from the previous team in the kitchen, it was delicious and, along with favourite Chinese beer, was consumed in record time.

Though I often relish dining in peace & quiet, it would have been nice to have had a couple of fellow diners dotted around the room, (and I bet that it is regularly the case once again in the evenings), but certainly i was just happy that the The Imperial China was open again for business and my day in Lyndhurst was complete....

Though the two staff on lunchtime duty were very friendly & most attentive, my only genuine disappointment was that there now appeared to be a 10% service charge affixed to the menu, which I don't recall from before. and which, frankly, I find a bit presumptuous as if I want to tip when dining out, it should be purely my decision to thank the house for an excellent meal & service and not be one asked of the management before we have even begun our meal...

.. as it happened we also tipped as well, so they were assured of 'double-bubble'..!

It is a small niggle and sadly now a common feature of dining out, but all-in-all I was pleased to be having lunch once again in this previously favourite restaurant and my dining companion & I will be most certainly be back soon for Round Two..

....and this time I will remember that I have a tongue in my head and ask for chop-sticks..!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A lovely restaurant and attentive staff. From the moment we walked in we had their full attention. The food was good quality and delicious - we decided to order off the menu rather than go for set menu but still ordered one course more than we needed! The chicken and cashew nuts with yellow bean sauce was superb. We were only on a short visit to this area this time but hope to be back again next year. We will definitely come back again. Thank you to all the staff at the Imperial China.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Staying in Brockenhurst for a birthday celebration. Visited Imperial China for a meal in the evening. It was a fantastic meal, my partner thinks the best Chinese he has ever had!
Add to that the fact that I was having a blonde moment and forgot my handbag. The super friendly and helpful staff had found it and stored it in a safe place for me until I returned to retrieve it!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ate here for the first time on Saturday.

When we went in, it was quiet but quickly got busy. Definitely worth booking if you go on a weekend.

Food was tasty and delivered to the table both promptly and hot.

Service was a little on the slow side as it was so busy but was friendly.

I'd definitely return if in the area again and look for a Chinese.