“First visit back since it re-opened!”
Review of Imperial China

Imperial China
Ranked #9 of 53 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Price range: US$20 - US$100
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Imperial China Restaurant offers the most exquisite Chinese and Szechaun food and an extensive menu is offered both in the restaurant and as a take away. New Forest locals have come to accept the friendly, discreet service as the 'norm', but no-one visiting Imperial China fails to comment on the high quality of the food no matter how many times they have eaten there !
Reviewed 26 November 2018

The New Forest's Imperial China on Lyndhurst's High Street was, (along with a number of friends & colleagues of my acquaintance), a number one Cantonese & Schezuan restaurant in southern Hampshire, both for the quality of its offerings and its impeccable service..and like those many friends, I was very disappointed when it suddenly closed some while back.

Keeping watch for a re-opening date, we all waited a long time but then happily it did open its doors once more and I really should have been in like a shot and not wait so long for a visit..

Alas 'life' got in the way but finally I managed to pop in on a recent week-day lunch-time, (a regular habit of mine in 'the old days), with a friend and grabbed what used to be my old table... not hard when we were the only diners in the building that day!.

After receiving a warm welcome I looked about me to see that, apart from subtle changes to the decor, the restaurant basically looked like I remembered..and when the menu arrived that also seemed much the same as I previously recalled.

The only difference instantly apparent was a lack of chop-sticks on the immaculately laid table...and though this was not a major thing, 'when in Rome etc' I do try to give it a go, though quite often my meal has cooled considerably as I fight with the fiendish oriental sticks throughout the meal, but being offered just a fork felt not quite the same!.

Nevertheless my companion & I duly ordered and the food arrived in short order and though I detected a subtle change in taste from the previous team in the kitchen, it was delicious and, along with favourite Chinese beer, was consumed in record time.

Though I often relish dining in peace & quiet, it would have been nice to have had a couple of fellow diners dotted around the room, (and I bet that it is regularly the case once again in the evenings), but certainly i was just happy that the The Imperial China was open again for business and my day in Lyndhurst was complete....

Though the two staff on lunchtime duty were very friendly & most attentive, my only genuine disappointment was that there now appeared to be a 10% service charge affixed to the menu, which I don't recall from before. and which, frankly, I find a bit presumptuous as if I want to tip when dining out, it should be purely my decision to thank the house for an excellent meal & service and not be one asked of the management before we have even begun our meal...

.. as it happened we also tipped as well, so they were assured of 'double-bubble'..!

It is a small niggle and sadly now a common feature of dining out, but all-in-all I was pleased to be having lunch once again in this previously favourite restaurant and my dining companion & I will be most certainly be back soon for Round Two..

....and this time I will remember that I have a tongue in my head and ask for chop-sticks..!

Reviewed 21 November 2018

A lovely restaurant and attentive staff. From the moment we walked in we had their full attention. The food was good quality and delicious - we decided to order off the menu rather than go for set menu but still ordered one course more than we needed! The chicken and cashew nuts with yellow bean sauce was superb. We were only on a short visit to this area this time but hope to be back again next year. We will definitely come back again. Thank you to all the staff at the Imperial China.

Reviewed 18 November 2018 via mobile

Staying in Brockenhurst for a birthday celebration. Visited Imperial China for a meal in the evening. It was a fantastic meal, my partner thinks the best Chinese he has ever had!
Add to that the fact that I was having a blonde moment and forgot my handbag. The super friendly and helpful staff had found it and stored it in a safe place for me until I returned to retrieve it!

Reviewed 12 November 2018

Ate here for the first time on Saturday.

When we went in, it was quiet but quickly got busy. Definitely worth booking if you go on a weekend.

Food was tasty and delivered to the table both promptly and hot.

Service was a little on the slow side as it was so busy but was friendly.

I'd definitely return if in the area again and look for a Chinese.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

We were staying at a B&B just out side of Lyndhursand and needed to find somewhere to eat that night our host had suggested a few restaurants and as we hadn't been to a Chinese restaurant in a long whole we chose the Imperial China. It was a very good choice. We were met at the door coats taken from us and hung up. It was quite at the time. And shown to our table. We chose an option of a set manure for two. Won't be doing that again? We were almost full to bursting before we had finished the starters! Then came crispy duck, after a 10 minute rest the main course arrives four dishes of food plus a large bowl of rice. Tony the owner informed us that not many people are able to eat all the food served. I can well believe him. As to prove him right we didn't finish it. There was enough food for four people! Will decently be going back there but after starving for a few days and maybe just a main course. Highly recomend the restaurant thank you Tony and your staff